New To The Forum and I have a New M2

Old Salt

Hi, I’m new to the forum and I just bought a new M2 Tactical. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning. Can’t wait to take it to the range. Any helpful hits on the type of ammo or anything pertaining to the M2 would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Old Salt

If you're in a hurry for info, the Search function is very useful. I was researching Ammo for my M4 last night. Easiest way for me is to Click Advanced Search in the upper right hand corner, type Ammo, M2 for the keyword. It also helps to change "Sort Results By" Date instead of Relevance; located under the Additional Options section. To gather results for Ammo in general, it's best to narrow the results to Search Titles Only. Located to the right of the Keyword search box.

You may have to do a little digging to find out exactly what you're searching for.

Hope this helps.

Here's a thread I found using the search that might be useful: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/26345-What-ammo-to-break-in-new-M2?highlight=ammo%2C+M2

Any helpful hits on the type of ammo or anything pertaining to the M2 would greatly be appreciated.

Welcome to the asylum old salt... and to you too black.

Not that it matters greatly, but what M2 model are we talking about? You might have a model that is ready to rock right out of the box, or a model that tends to benefit from a few mods.

As to break-in... You've already cleaned and I assume lubricated it, so filler up with 1 1/8 oz. loads for the first few hundred, clean and lube again and see if it will cycle reliably with 1 oz. loads. If not, no great loss, if it does, now you have a practical lower limit. You can try 7/8 oz. but I doubt it will cycle reliably.

If this is a tactical or 3-gun competition gun? ... let me know. I have, or should I say "we" have some suggestions for you. :)

Cheers,

C

Welcome to the asylum old salt... and to you too black.

Not that it matters greatly, but what M2 model are we talking about? You might have a model that is ready to rock right out of the box, or a model that tends to benefit from a few mods.

As to break-in... You've already cleaned and I assume lubricated it, so filler up with 1 1/8 oz. loads for the first few hundred, clean and lube again and see if it will cycle reliably with 1 oz. loads. If not, no great loss, if it does, now you have a practical lower limit. You can try 7/8 oz. but I doubt it will cycle reliably.

If this is a tactical or 3-gun competition gun? ... let me know. I have, or should I say "we" have some suggestions for you. :)

Cheers,

C

Sorry Creeper, I have the tactical model with the pistol grip stock and 2 shell magazine extension making it a 5+1.

Edited by Old Salt

Ah... an M2T. It's fine the way it is really.

You can buy things like oversize bolt handles, bolt release buttons/levers, longer mag tubes, custom followers, barrel/mag clamps (handy for flashlight and sling mounting), shorter LOP stocks, 1913 rails for optics and slings to better tune it to your needs... or you can go completely off the track (like me) and set it up for full boat 3-gun competition.

Or you can save your money for shells and practice... and have bunches of fun! ;)

Thank you, I think I'll save my money for shells and have lot's of fun. Went to the range today and shot 50 low brass Federal loads, 20 Remington 00 buck and 20 Remington 1 oz slugs. Zero malfunctions, what a sweet shooter. The 1 oz slug group I shot at 25 yards you could cover with a baseball.

Edited by Old Salt

Yep... M2Ts are great. Light, fast, good balance, easy to keep maintained and durable as a bag 'O hammers.

If recoil is a bother (the stock recoil pad might as well be a brick, filled with concrete... and covered with walnut)... Mesa Tactical makes a shorter (12.5" LOP) stock with a Limbsaver recoil pad fit to it.

For many, the "Urbino" stock, with a shorter, tactically more sound LOP, plus the wonderful recoil pad can turn the M2T from "a gun I like to shoot a little", to a "gun I can shoot all day".

In the not too distant future, Mesa Tactical will be making a non-pistol grip stock as well with the same features... if you prefer a straight stock.