changing recoil springs on an M1 Super

gotm4

You are fortunate to have a newer model with hex head. The older models such as the original Montefeltro imported by H&K did not. I have replaced several of these. More than half of the time you need to apply heat to the threading. This can be done with a bic type cig. lighter. This is all I ever needed. Heat the threading area, put receiver in a big vice, carefull not to crush it. Now use a closed end 17mm wrench and back out the bolt assemble. No need to reapply locktite because you should replace this spring every other year anyway and disassemble the spring for cleaning, yearly. I run a 20 gauge wire brush and Gun Scrub thru the tube and lightly lubricate with sythetic lubricant. Hope you are replacing the spring with a Wolff spring. Think about a new hammer spring while your at it. I have not checked the Benelli forum lately, glad my posts are valued. I noticed you purchased a Wolff 25% REDUCED spring, what was the poupose of this. I have always used WOLFF 25% INCREASE spring and have had great success with this on all of my Benelli hunting guns. If you are going to shoot 7/8 oz low base target loads the reduced may work fine however this spring will cause difficulties in cold weather and shooting directly overhead when the bolt assembly facing the force of gravity. Your HK M1 super 90 is probablt long overdue for a recoil spring replacement, hammer spring, and the magazine tube spring. Check out all of my posts about recoil spring and SRM kits. The recoil spring is the heart of your Benelli and the most overlooked part of the gun. I clean and replace 25 - 50 of these of M-1's, SBE's and Montefeltro's every year. Post again if you need additional help.

• 10 years later...

I saw this old post and saw its current relevance. I have an HK Benelli M1 that was supposed to be new old stock gun. The seller added a Mesa pistol grip stock. I have the original. Gun began failing to cycle today. I've probably fired t 30 times. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I saw this old post and saw its current relevance. I have an HK Benelli M1 that was supposed to be new old stock gun. The seller added a Mesa pistol grip stock. I have the original. Gun began failing to cycle today. I've probably fired t 30 times. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

heck,this post is old as dirt,,the members are probably in nursing homes,i would take the gun and clean it lube it,then try again if it continues, then further steps should be taken.,geez this archive stuff belongs with king tut's stuff,lol ;ps::;Put the factory stuff back on.

Edited by M1014

heck,this post is old as dirt,,the members are probably in nursing homes,i would take the gun and clean it lube it,then try again if it continues, then further steps should be taken.,geez this archive stuff belongs with king tut's stuff,lol ;ps::;Put the factory stuff back on.

Hey M1014, have not hit the nursing home yet, still under 50 and have worked on more than 500 Benelli.

Please contact me at [email protected] and I would be glad to provide insight to any Benelli owner.

M1014 has great posts as well along with one other member, can not recall the name. I'm sure M1014 would be glad to share his knowledge as well.

I use Wolf springs as well. I had 2 consecutive serial numbers of M1's fail after one year.

Please look at my posts for shell issues in the chamber as well. Thanks M1014 for inspiring me to post on the great Benelli forum.

glad to see' remarkable'' back in action ,our join dates just blow me away,has it really been that long ago??seems like just yesterday sometimes,,that guy you might be thinkin of is tucker 301,,that cat was also very helpful,but so many others where too,peace to my Benelli brothers and sisters