Home Protection Shotgun

DoveDeath

I have hunted with two 870's for about 30 years and have bagged deer, rabbit, duck, dove, and quail with it. I naturally am leaning toward the 870 Police BUT having shot a couple of rounds of sporting clays with a rental Nova I really liked it despite my impressions of weak/cheap (e.g. lots of plastic) construction.

What are your impressions of a Nova lasting in the long term? I did not take it down/clean so I did not see the internal fit/finish/components. I like the Nova and think the Tactical is just what I want but it seems like it won't last. What say you?

I do want to stay with a pump for what it is worth.

Alright on all guns it doesn't use old fashioned plastic. it is way more durable than other plastic and evan wood people usually go for the would for either looks or comfort on the cheek peice or comb.

there is proof I am taking a class right now on plastics technology and you would be fascinated by the advances we have made in the past 4 years. I have expereimented with the old style plastic and the modern plastic that isn't more cost effecient but is more effeicent in every other area. gun cleaner doesn't even effect plastic of a stock, but it eats through old style like acid in the movies.

Puck up boy it's the future, I don't think they will ever make anything on a gun that isn't durable ever, it's a safety hazard as well as an unreliable would-be feature.

The nova would be good choice for a side gun to use becasue the parts are simple and allow you to disassemble it with no tools, making cleaning easier, Might I make a suggestion, no matter what shotgun you buy use winchester 2 3/4 0 buck this way you always get 12 pellets in a small shell and you also won't need to worry about much recoil when apprehending the bad guy. and yet your still using lethal force.

The "other" plastic is polymer, and is what basically made people either hate or love Glocks, as they were the first to mass produce polymer frame handguns. Your right GG polymer is exremely durable and is on many guns nowadays. It has its +'s and -'s. The enire stock and receiver of the nova is. About the question of the nova lasting long term its a good one. But its kind of hard to answer. As your well aware 870's have been around since the begining of time and have a solid reputation as being work horse's. The nova hasn't been around all that long so its hard to compare its longevity to that of the 870. Only time will tell. I have had one for only several months, its a decent shotgun. You can shoot any shell size you want out of it. The one thing I don't like about the nova is that the stock and receiver is all one piece. You can't add anything on or take anything off, so "customizing" it is out of the picture. No pistol grips, folding stocks, etc. I like to modify most of my guns, so to me this is a negative. If your happy with the nova out of the box, than you won't have any problems. The gun is after all made by Benelli so that in itself lets you know you have a reputable manufacturer on your side.

It looks like the top gun (I believe the M4) has some type of retractable stock. Or is it a fake me out? Whatever it is its a **** nice piece. Man I love ghost ring's almost as much as I love picatinny rails! Every shotgun should come with picatinny rails IMO, or at least be drilled and tapped. Nice set up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies 870's and 1100's are sweetass shotguns. Very, very nice.... They are worth every penny and the wait. I've got a border patrol with all the extra's. My name is FN_FAL and I'm a gunaholic....

Sweeeeeeet.... I've seen many types of guns with all kinds of mods. I must say that is the first shotgun I've ever seen with a bipod. Looks like you have some type of halo sight on it as well.?. I bet you have fun with that beast. And the real deal retractable stock.NICE. I feel like Homer Simpson except I'm not dreaming about food, ummmmmm, ohhhhh guns!!!! M1014 you need to admit you have a problem. The first step is the hardest but you have to admit to yourself you're an addict. I'm forming a group called gunsaholic's, the problem is nobody wants to stop their habit. Myself included...