Bolt and Trigger Disassembly

cdogg44

Quick questions.

When cleaning the bolt assembly on my LH SBEII, I easily got to the final step of removing the "bolt locking head" and found it to be stuck in place. It will slide back and forth, but won't come out completely like the book shows it. What's the trick?

I read elsewhere on these boards not to disassemble the trigger assembly according to the manual. I haven't messed with it yet, but what is the reason behind this? Anyone have instructions for a different way? Has anyone else even heard about this?

Thanks guys. I shot over 35 3.5"s this weekend hunting (I suck, but it was my first time out, and the ducks were everywhere) and my shoulder isn't even sore. I love this gun. It performed flawless and occasionally would connect with a bird. Although this is more my problem than the gun's!

[ 11-22-2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: cdogg44 ]

You have to remove the locking head pin, which is held in place by the firing pin, which is held in place by the firing pin retaining pin.

The trigger assembly is not overly difficult to disassemble, but it's not easy either. I do it once a year and clean out the crud that builds up under some parts. I would think that some sort of spray cleaner would do a fine job especially if you use some sort of canned air to blow out the crud.

If you do decide to take it apart - keep Brownells number handy for replacement parts.....

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

You have to remove the locking head pin, which is held in place by the firing pin, which is held in place by the firing pin retaining pin.

mudhen - CA

Already removed it. The bolt locking head still wouldn't come out. Do I have to turn it a special way or something?

Originally posted by DJ:

If you have the locking head pin out, I have no idea what would be holding the locking head in. There is nothing else there except the spring behind it, the locking head should slide right out no matter how you turn it.

......kinda what I thought. It refuses to budge.

cdogg44,

I read elsewhere on these boards not to disassemble the trigger assembly according to the manual.
The two problems I ran into are the shim that touches the metal receiver had budged or bent upwards in the middle when the trigger guard was removed.

This made reassembly a challenge. I took a very small screwdriver (later I used the spacer you use to check spark plug gap) and used it as if it was a shoehorn to put the trigger assembly back into place.

The other issue was my fault for not noticing that the front of the trigger guard has a lip that attaches to the outside and on top of the receiver, and then you sort of hinge the back of the trigger guard downward into place.

I ended up putting some minor scratches on the front of the trigger guard.

:mad:

However, after about 4 - 5 removals, I no longer have to shoehorn the trigger assembly back into place. smile.gif

Let's review your disassembly of the bolt:

The bolt assembly has been removed from the gun.

Step 8 in SBEII manual (page 20), you have removed the "firing pin retaining pin". ( This will cause the firing pin under pressure to come out with the spring. Be careful to keep your thumb on the firing pin. )

Step 9 in SBEII manual (page 20), you have removed the firing pin and the firing pin spring.

Step 10 in SBEII manual (page 22), you have removed the "locking head pin" from the bolt.

Step 11 in SBEII manual (page 22), is where you are having problems getting the "bolt locking head" to remove from the bolt.

:confused: Should just come out. Does the bolt move freely about 1/2 inch? If not, I say you should send the bolt assembly to Benelli for repairs. You do not want the gun to start firing when you chamber a round in the chamber.

Regards threeshot

Jmel- I have not removed the bolt handle. How do I go about doing this?

threeshot- The "bolt locking head" will slide in and out of the bolt about half an inch, but will not come out.

I guess my problem lies in not removing the bolt handle (which I never saw anything about in the manual). If someone could let me know how to remove the bolt handle I'll give it a try and see if the "bolt locking head" comes out.

I'm sort of puzzled though, because I have done exactly what is listed in the manual (and exactly the steps posted by threeshot) and it still slided back and forth but doesn't come out. I'm really not too worried about it, I just sprayed some oil down in there and reassembled it. I just want to be sure the next time I go to clean the gun I can clean the bolt 100%.

Thanks

Well I guess I found my problem, lol!

When I went to clean the bolt I started on the pictures of the bolt itself and went from there, not thinking to look back to the very first step in the stripping procedure.

See, I knew it was something minor.

Thanks again guys.

• 1 month later...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I cleaned my gun last night and everything went smooth. I was able to pull the handle out with my hands and from there everything was good.

That spring sure is stiff though! I tried to compress it with my hands just to see if I could...it never moved.

Thanks for the help.