Choke Tube help needed

RC Maroni

I am new to shot guns (pretty new to all guns really). Can someone explain to me or tell me where to find the information about choke tubes so I don't damage anything. I have a Benelli Nova 26" that came with 3 choke tubes, one with 4 notches that was placed in the gun by the sales person, the other has 3 notches that says it iis steel shot OK with an M ***, the other has 1 notch with nothing on it. I take it that the steel shot is for water fowl and is needed so as not to seize up. But what will the others do? Is one for slugs and the other for lead shot only? Is there distance capability differences for each?

Thanks

RC

Suggest you do a little googling for "choke tubes" and you'll find all sorts of info about chokes. If you have benelli chokes, they will have markings on them. Sometimes they're real difficult to read. Put it under a bright light and look very carefully and you'll probably see them.

From tightest to most open:

Full=I =*

IM =II =** (improved modified)

M =III =*** (modified)

IC =IIII =**** (Improved Cylinder)

C=IIIII =***** (Cylinder)

There are others in-between, depending on the manufacturer.

Theoretically, a tighter choke will give a more dense pattern than a more open choke, at a given distance out of the same gun. Lots of other variables.

Steel required for waterfowl and maybe other game, depending on the state.

Look at tutorials at Briley Chokes, Trulock Chokes, and others. Too much information for one interweb response. Do a little homework on your own first. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.thewomanhunter.com/hunting-articles/Chokes-For-Dummies.htm

Edited by truckcop

Hi RC and welcome to the forum!!... you don't need another barrel.....You can shoot a slug with a choke tube, you definitely wouldn't want to shoot slugs without a choke installed because you could damage the choke threads.

The C (cylinder), IC (improved cylinder) or M (modified) chokes would be fine to use with slugs but you wouldn't want to use anything with more restriction than those.

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Hi RC and welcome to the forum!!... you don't need another barrel.....You can shoot a slug with a choke tube, you definitely wouldn't want to shoot slugs without a choke installed because you could damage the choke threads.

The C (cylinder), IC (improved cylinder) or M (modified) chokes would be fine to use with slugs but you wouldn't want to use anything with more restriction than those.

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Thanks for the help.