The Forum's been Quiet, Non-Benelli related projects.

StrangerDanger

I got out to the range on the day taxes were due and shot the frankengun and another mix and match upper/lower I put together.

Accuracy was great from both but my H2 buffers were a bit heavy so the guns were short cycling occasionally. It would eject the spent case but not feed a new round, nor lock back on an empty mag. Put in a lighter buffer and no issues. After about 1000 rounds I will try the h2 buffer again. The guns are both brand new so the H2 buffer was probably optimistic.

Anyway, ignore the ugly towel that lives in back of my car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2592[/ATTACH]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a leaky gas system or partially obstructed gas port?

I'm working on a memorial rifle for my friend. I'm building up a precision ar15. I'm going to drop a Nightforce 5-25x atacr optic with LaRue mounts on it. I haven't decided on what barrel yet, but it'll be in the 18-20" range. It won't be a bench gun. It'll be set up to actually be used in the field. I plan to use the KMR rail and a few other lightened parts that won't hurt accuracy.

Possibly ammo. Hadn't thought about the gas system / port but I should have since I put it together.

I was testing using PMC 5.56 (xtac?) to try and get a consistent result. Hopefully it is just teething issues and the buffer - I don't really want to rebuild the upper but I will if I have to. Won't be certain until I get some more trigger time.

Perhaps a leaky gas system or partially obstructed gas port?

I'm working on a memorial rifle for my friend. I'm building up a precision ar15. I'm going to drop a Nightforce 5-25x atacr optic with LaRue mounts on it. I haven't decided on what barrel yet, but it'll be in the 18-20" range. It won't be a bench gun. It'll be set up to actually be used in the field. I plan to use the KMR rail and a few other lightened parts that won't hurt accuracy.

I am building a similar rifle. Waiting on the 15" KMR rail to be released this summer, ordered a White Oak Armament DMR 1:8 20" barrel last week. Lead time on the barrel is 3 months. The lower is done, the upper is still airware.

Let me know what you decide on the rest of the parts. Curious to hear how it turns out.

Possibly ammo. Hadn't thought about the gas system / port but I should have since I put it together.

I was testing using PMC 5.56........

Very typical results from low powered ammo. The X-Tac ammo should cycle with an H or H2 buffer, but it is a weird ammo that produces a HUGE flash. I would try other ammo. Federal, Hornady, or Black Hills 55gr

Simplest test is to source some military ammo. I feed my builds Wolff to see if it'll cycle that crap to determine if it is functioning properly. Sometimes aftermarket main springs can cause issues too. If you can get ahold of a milspec spring, try it. At least before you start tearing into the gas key and gas block. Worst case scenario, the gas port on the barrel may need to be opened up.

The barrel for my build is a hang up. I'm not sure what route to go. I may just opt for a Noveske stainless 18 or 20 inch barrel and call it good. Another thing I'm having trouble with is the bipod. I'd love to get one of the Bobro bipods, but they seem to be non-existent.

I'm probably going to use a JP M16 bolt carrier group along with their Silent Buffer. I have had excellent luck with this combination in the past. I want to use a V7 Weapon systems upper receiver. A PWS 416 receiver extension. Magpul ACS collapsible stock for the cheekweld. Raptor ambidextrous charging handle. Battle Arms Development CASS ST. Mag Tactical lower receiver. Geiselle trigger, probably the enhanced SSA I have. Surefire M600U Scout Light on a IWC Thorntail mount. B E Meyers 249F flash suppressor. I'd like to get the 15" KMR, but I don't know if I'll wait long enough for it. It would be better for the bipod mounting solution. I have a set of Dupeck Defense 45 degree offset sights I might put on it. The only thing I dislike about them is they weigh a lot. They are drastically faster than deploying flip-up sights and trying to remove the primary.

With the optic, I hope to be under 10.5 pounds. I'll drop in a few V7 Weapon Systems to trim away some of the weight. The idea is a heavy precision barrel and glass inside a lightweight frame.

• 2 months later...