The Forum's been Quiet, Non-Benelli related projects.

StrangerDanger

I ended up selling off my LMT MRP piston rifle recently. I also sold off a lot of the older parts that were present in order to do an all around upgrade for my rifle I tend to carry when hiking.

Number one goal was to build something lightweight that is easy to snap onto target. Meaning low front end weight. Basic optic and light package.

Yesterday, BCM finally let loose some BCM KMR rails. So I snagged a BCM BCH 16" lightweight upper receiver with the 13" KMR installed. I plan to disassemble the upper and remove the KMR to migrate over to a Mag Tactical Magnesium upper receiver I have on order. I already have the Mag Tactical lower receiver in hand. Here is what I have planned;

Lower Receiver: Mag Tactical Systems Gen 4 Magnesium Lower Receiver (Owned)

Receiver Extension: PWS 416 7075 Billet (Owned)

Buffer: JP Enterprises Silent Buffer (Owned)

Stock: MFT Battlelink Minimalist Stock, Mil Spec (Ordered)

Trigger: Geissele SD3G (Ordered)

Selector: Battle Arms Development CASS ST, Long/Short (Owned)

Grip: BCM Gunfighter, Mod 2 (Ordered)

Bolt Release: Seekins Billet (Owned)

Magazine Release: Norgon Ambidextrous Release & Seekins Billet Button (Owned)

Takedown Pins: Battle Arms Development Enhanced Pin Set (Owned)

Other Small Parts: Colt (Owned)

Magazines: Magpul M3, 30 and 20 rounders (Ordered)

Sling: Blueforcegear VCAS padded QD sling (Owned)

Upper Receiver: Mag Tactical Sytems Magnesium Upper Receiver (Ordered)

Dust Cover: V7 Weapon Systems aluminum dust cover (Ordered)

Barrel: BCM BCH 16" Lightweight Profile (Ordered)

Rail System: BCM KMR13 (Ordered)

Rail Covers: BCM KMR Rail Covers (When released)

Gas Tube: V7 Weapon Systems Midlength Inconel Gas Tube (Ordered)

Flash Suppressor: B. E. Meyers 249F (Ordered)

Bolt & Carrier: Spikes Tactical Titanium Bolt Carrier & S7 Bolt (When released)

Charging Handle: Raptor (Owned)

Back Up Iron Sights: Spikes Tactical Lightweight BUIS (When released)

Optic: Aimpoint T1, 2moa optic on a LaRue Absolute Co-witness mount, VFZ model (Back Ordered)

Weapon Light: Surefire Scout M600 Ultra (Ordered)

Weapon Light Mount: IWC Keymod Offset Mount (Ordered)

Sling Mounts: Noveske Keymod QD Mount (Ordered)

There are some areas where I could have went a little lighter, but I felt I would be sacrificing quality for fractions of an ounce in weight savings. Example, the 416 receiver extension. I figure I'm taking enough chances with the magnesium upper/lower. If either part yard sales itself, I have quality replacements on hand.

I'm hoping to have a complete rifle that is in the low 5 pound range empty. I have a Magpul CTR Milspec on hand, but I figured I'd give the Battelink stock a try since it cuts about 3 ounces of weight compared to the CTR.

As for coating/painting, I'm thinking of having the exterior painted in dark burnt bronze Cerakote and running black plastics. The interior of the 416 receiver extension and the Raptor charging handle is already coated in Nickel Boron. Magnesium and titanium cannot be coated.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting on the KMR 10" to be available as a standalone part.

I am also waiting for the Spikes Ti BCG. Should be interesting.

V7 QD Endplate, Castle Nut, Dustcover

I will be experimenting with a few things which I may or may not like and change out:

Accu-Group Poly Lower Parts Group

Tac Com Delrin Light Weight Buffer (Will require an adjustable gas block).

CAR Stock (Backup will be the Battlelink Stock if I don't like the CAR)

I am also going SBR on this build. Probably a ~10" barrel turned down pencil weight with a Simple Threaded Device linear compensator.

Very interested to see when Spikes gets these BCGs out. Want to know the secret sauce he has going into these.

Sounds like a great build too. I couldn't bother to wait for them to release rails by themselves. I figured I'd migrate the BCM upper elsewhere or sell it off. I was going to get one of the titanium gas blocks from V7, but they only offer it in a .750" gas block profile.

I would have used the V7 end plate and castle nut as well, but the PWS 416 extension has a proprietary one.

I'm hoping Spikes has built a system similar to the ARGO plug into the gas key. I've had good luck with several of Spikes items. I'm a fan of their ion bonded gas ring sets. I use their MRP 22lr barrel and bcg nearly weekly without any issues. Their new sights look nice. I refuse to buy any more Troy products due to their politics, so their BUIS's are no longer an option unfortunately.

While I would love to SBR this one, I never seem to get around to doing it. My attempts to find a local trust lawyer versed in setting it up properly have been a failure.

I have built a few things since this thread got started but this is the only one I have a picture of.

Nothing as nice or unique as the stuff already posted.

Just a regular 14.5 AR with my preferred parts. It's my only 14.5 and while the handguard is light the gun as a whole is not. I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; hopefully in the next couple weeks.

build.jpg

Lower:

Mega arms billet with ambi bolt release

LMT SOPMOD Stock

BAD Ambi safety levers

Giessele SSA trigger

BCM Mod 0 grip

Magpul ASAP sling plate

BAD enhanced takedown pins

H2 buffer

(can't remember if I used the generic spring in or a Damage Industries spring - I think generic)

Radd lock mag release, because CA

Upper:

Mega arms billet

Raptor charging handle

LMT BCG

13" Noveske NSR handguard

YHM gas block and generic tube

Wilson Combat 14.7" barrel

Wilson Combat Flash Suppressor pinned and welded

Aimpoint T1 4 MOA on a Larue mount

Troy BUIS (not pictured)

Edited by Case

Here's a little project that those owning a U.S. Henry Survival Rifle might like.

Some of the shortcomings of the design is that there is no way to carry it with a sling, it's slippery polymer surface, the butt plate is quite easily knocked free dumping the barrel and magazines on the ground / water. Some modifications that enhance functionality and free up your hands to survive. The President of Henry Repeating Arms liked the modifications enough to have his design engineers study how these can be incorporated into the production line; even sent me some nice Henry merchandise !

Apologize for the multiple photo posts, but the 2 photo limit exists.

Screenshot2014-02-14at120541PM_zps14a1a51f.png

Screenshot2014-02-14at120627PM_zpsa8e53792.png

Cool setup BW.

Anyone see these QD sling attachments yet? Not sure what I would use them for, but interesting if you need a fixed non-movable loop for some setup.

That would be reasonable substitute for the rear of the receiver QD attachment point; as an alternative to the Magpul / Rogers ambidextrous sling attachment products.

I'd love to see BW's junk drawer! Phrasing, I know.

Case: clean build. The NSR was my go to rail for the past two years.

I was surprised, or as my female Asian friend would say, suh-pised to find that LaRue Aimpoints are still back ordered. I also noticed the price went up about 50 bucks since the last one I bought in early 2013.

I'd love to see BW's junk drawer!

SD, you'd find my "junk" drawers nicely organized !

The HK's are pain in the A$$ to tinker with....almost none of the accessories coordinate easily with them.

Speaking of LaRue, today I just got their short Aimpoint pivot mount (compare the tall LaRue with Aimpoint CompM4S on the above posted Noveske) for the Aimpoint magnifier to use in conjunction with the T-1 on the LaRue H&K short mount ...notice that they two optics are not perfectly co-witnessed on their optical vertical height axis....the pivot is just a tad too tall. The short T-1 mount however does allow the Troy H&K micro sights to co-witness in the lower 1/3 of the T-1 sight picture.

Longer story that cannot be shortened; because LaRue knew the T-1 is a parallax-free red dot, you can successfully mount the Aimpoint 3X magnifier on the short pivot mount with the T-1 in this situation, because the magnifier has two independent adjustment screws for windage and elevation, that allow the red dot you see transmitted from the T-1 to be "adjusted" to the center of the magnifier view the operator observes.....the bottom line, what you see thru the magnifier is what you get from the T-1 red dot.

This H&K is setup with a modified (since nothing fits HK) Rogers MagWell Grip, Safariland ELS picatinny rail mount for accessories, Rogers collapsible SuperStock has replaced the HK factory collapsible stock.

Screenshot2014-02-14at63524PM_zpsb5d1999f.png

DSCN1452a_zps15019458.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes

Mostly non-Benelli Projects.

Many of the forum regulars know about the Anatomy Series Manual for the Benelli M4 Super90 I developed.

As many of you also own non-Benelli firearms you might be interested in one of the other Anatomy Series Manuals available. The highly detailed Manuals vary in length from 15 - 200 pages depending on complexity of the firearm. I will post the Manual titles below, if you would like to know more about any particular one, just PM me.Screenshot2014-02-15at104045AM_zpseec735f1.pngScreenshot2014-02-15at103859AM_zpsdb0a9358.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

DSC00321_zps8b297320.jpg

DSC00322_zps51070383.jpg

Got some parts in today. Finally got my BCM KMR13 rail. This thing is seriously lightweight, but it still has more dieting to go. Mag Tactical Systems shipped out my magnesium upper receivers today. So when they come in, I'll swap out the BCM upper for the magnesium one. I'll also throw in a lightweight aluminum dust cover and a titanium forward assist. I'll drop in the inconel gas tube at that time.

I'm also waiting for my IWC offset mount for the Surefire so I can get rid of that OEM mount.

I found out today that the NSR rail covers fit the KMR great. Like they were made for it.

Edited by StrangerDanger

The 45 degree offsets are pretty much strictly for keymod accessories. I tried to install the BCM plastic picatinny rail sections at the 1:30 position for the Surefire -- It was a no go. There wasn't enough room for the mount since it was nearly touching the top rail. Even with the 45 degree positions, I ended up buying an IWC offset mount to tuck the Surefire M600 Ultra up at the 1:30 position.

I'm trying to learn to like the Surefire SR-07 switch for the Surefire so I can have the weapon light mounted to the outside of my carry style. That way I'm not raking the light across my legs either.

Take a look at this setup.

Untitled-1_zps495d61f2.jpg

Untitled-2_zps5aa00272.jpg

i still need a few more LaRue index clips that have the top hook present to help secure the tape switch. I'm not normally a fan of tape switches, but this setup is awesome. The switch is in the perfect spot. Plus the switch is locked in place solid. It's also seated deep to prevent accidental light discharges.

I decided des to get the barrel cut and the flash suppressor pinned. The B E Meyers is nearly 3" long, so that will cut the barrel to nearly flush with the rail. So only flash suppressor will be visible. I swiped a titanium gas block from V7 Weapon Systems to mount on the barrel. That'll save me about an ounce of weight. If ADCO will profile the barrel down lighter, I'll do it.

B E Meyers lies about the weight of their flash suppressor. They claimed 2.5 ounces. It's really 3.5 ounces.

I need to get the gas block and gas tube painted in high heat Cerakote before I send the barrel in for pinning.

Edited by StrangerDanger