New Bolt Handle For My M2 Tactical

Old Salt

Just got back from the range after replacing the factory bolt handle with the Nordic BFB bolt handle on my M2 Tactical. I was a little concerned that I might start having issues with low brass loads because of the larger bolt handle. I shot 75 rounds (3 boxes) of Winchester Universal low brass 7 ½ shot. I had zero FTE or for that matter failure anything, I even shot 15 or 20 times from my hip. My M2 continues to be malfunction free especially with the Winchester Universal 100 shell value pack I purchase at Wal-Mart for $26.00. Great value when you just want to do some fun shooting. Love my Benelli M2 Tactical

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-BFB-Big-Fat-Benelli-M1-M2-Bolt-Operating-Handle-BOH-BFB-12-00.htm

I have the M1 and M2 Benelli's and for what it's worth, I have studied the inertia bolt kinetics pretty thoroughly, so here's my 3 cents worth. Your after-market bolt handle weight differential concern is only a few grams versus the factory bolt handle. The M2 can handle even more added weight without problems.

These are my comments regarding the concern regarding the addition of a 2 shot extension on the M1 / M2 platforms.

From the Benelli M1 Manual:

Extensive testing in ballistics labs and repeated field-testing of our line produced

weapons put at 180 kgm the lowest level of kinetic energy that must be generated by the cartridge 12 gauge and at 125 kgm for 20 gauge to fully cycle the action (the measurement was taken on a manometric barrel, according to at a velocity of V1 at 10 meter distance from the muzzle). Empirically, Benelli has determined the minimum threshold of kinetic energy required to cycle the bolt; the rest of the understanding is simple mathematics / physics.

KEMin = ½ m VMin2 KE=kinetic energy m=mass of gun

V1 = Vmin = minimum cartridge power to cycle M1 action

V 1 = √ 2 * KEMin / m1

When the mass of the gun is increased = m2 ; V2 will be LESS than V1

V 2 = √ 2 * KEMin/ m2

Because V2 is less than V1, the minimum amount of kinetic energy to cycle the inertia bolt mechanism is not generated.

The Benelli M1 20 gauge inertia bolt weighs 385 grams.

Two 20 gauge cartridges weigh 65 grams

Two shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams

Total = 365 grams

So, a 2 shot extension tube with cartridges is within 20 grams (2/3 of ounce) weight of the inertia bolt weight.

The attached may assist in understanding how adding weight / mass to the inertia platform may interfere with reliable cycling operation. The 20 gauge M1 bolt weighs 385 grams; a 2 shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams Plus 65 grams for the 2 cartridges and you have 365 grams of extra weight; almost the weight of the bolt.

Third parties cite Benelli sources as stating that ~ 500 grams of added weight (1.1 pounds) begins to reduce reliable function. A 12 gauge 2 shot extension and two 3" cartridges is just about 500 grams......again, just about the mass of the 12 gauge inertia bolt.

So, the addition of the 2-shot extensions plus the cartridges do not exceed the bolt weight, but add a Picatinny rail and a light etc......therein the problems of operation may begin to be experienced.

Edited by benelliwerkes

I have the M1 and M2 Benelli's and for what it's worth, I have studied the inertia bolt kinetics pretty thoroughly, so here's my 3 cents worth. Your after-market bolt handle weight differential concern is only a few grams versus the factory bolt handle. The M2 can handle even more added weight without problems.

These are my comments regarding the concern regarding the addition of a 2 shot extension on the M1 / M2 platforms.

From the Benelli M1 Manual:

Extensive testing in ballistics labs and repeated field-testing of our line produced

weapons put at 180 kgm the lowest level of kinetic energy that must be generated by the cartridge 12 gauge and at 125 kgm for 20 gauge to fully cycle the action (the measurement was taken on a manometric barrel, according to at a velocity of V1 at 10 meter distance from the muzzle). Empirically, Benelli has determined the minimum threshold of kinetic energy required to cycle the bolt; the rest of the understanding is simple mathematics / physics.

KEMin = ½ m VMin2 KE=kinetic energy m=mass of gun

V1 = Vmin = minimum cartridge power to cycle M1 action

V 1 = √ 2 * KEMin / m1

When the mass of the gun is increased = m2 ; V2 will be LESS than V1

V 2 = √ 2 * KEMin/ m2

Because V2 is less than V1, the minimum amount of kinetic energy to cycle the inertia bolt mechanism is not generated.

The Benelli M1 20 gauge inertia bolt weighs 385 grams.

Two 20 gauge cartridges weigh 65 grams

Two shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams

Total = 365 grams

So, a 2 shot extension tube with cartridges is within 20 grams (2/3 of ounce) weight of the inertia bolt weight.

The attached may assist in understanding how adding weight / mass to the inertia platform may interfere with reliable cycling operation. The 20 gauge M1 bolt weighs 385 grams; a 2 shot magazine tube extension weighs 300 grams Plus 65 grams for the 2 cartridges and you have 365 grams of extra weight; almost the weight of the bolt.

Third parties cite Benelli sources as stating that ~ 500 grams of added weight (1.1 pounds) begins to reduce reliable function. A 12 gauge 2 shot extension and two 3" cartridges is just about 500 grams......again, just about the mass of the 12 gauge inertia bolt.

So, the addition of the 2-shot extensions plus the cartridges do not exceed the bolt weight, but add a Picatinny rail and a light etc......therein the problems of operation may begin to be experienced.

All those years your mother and I worked and saved to send you to Benelli University have paid off..... :)

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the information because the next addition to my shotgun will most likely be the Daves Metal Works magazine extension. Their 7+1 extension can be used with the factory magazine nut and integrated sling attachment.

Have you Put the DMW Barrel on yet, and could you post some pics,also was it easy to put on.

Thank's ,

Tac53

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased the M2 Tactical over the FN SLP primarily because of it's lower weight. First thing, I got a Nordic Components BFB (Big Fat Benelli) Bolt Handle. After installing, It would hang up when I pushed the bolt button. Took it to my dealer who said the new bolt needed to be fixed (filed/sanded?). Just got it back and it works smoother then with the original bolt handle.

Changing out the bolt handle is verily EZ. If you lay the M2 on it's left side, you simply pull straight up on the original handle. Make sure you have the oval slot where the bolt handle goes into. After my bolt handle was worked on by a gunsmith (apparently it was slightly oversized...In my reading on diff websites, nobody mentioned this problem)and installed. It worked great! Sorry, unable to attach the pics that I have as I am missing something on how to attach them. :(

All those years your mother and I worked and saved to send you to Benelli University have paid off..... :)

Okay ... I'm confused. I've had a full length extension on my SBEII rifled slug-gun and/or smoothbore buckshot barrel for 10 years and had no issues with 8 or 9 shells in the gun. Just bought a 20ga slug-gun M2 and added a +5 Nordic (which doesn't have deep enough female threads to lock in the barrel by the way), so I'm concerned here. The guns are used for deer management projects, not a life or death situation; but still ... I'm not looking for any CF's if I can avoid them. Is the scope weight, etc effecting this equation or something? How is it that so many +6, +7 tubes are sold for these firearms???

Update:

I e-mailed both the dealer and additionally a seperate e-mail to Nordic on the 20ga tube magazine problem last night. By 10:00am this morning the great folks at Nordic already had the correct lower nut in the mail and on it's way to make things right! Outstanding service!