Questions from a new M4 owner

Tlon

Hi Folks,

I've been following the the forum for a bit, and having a lot fun learning about Benellis.

I had a question about the initial cleaning and lubrication, particularly the pistons and o-rings. On the initial cleaning do I need to take apart the pistons and clean inside there? Trigger group? And, do the o-rings need to be lubed at all? I've seen different opinions on this and the manual just says the gas system must not be lubricated. Any best practices here?

In case anyone is interested, I got a NIB M4 from Dick's Sporting Goods at a pretty good price. Right now, they're $100 off the $1699 list price and then if you open a Dick's Charge card you can save another 10%. The price is $1439 plus tax out the door.

Many thanks!

Edited by Tlon

You don't want to lube the stainless pistons because it with smoke a lot when firing. It seems to just attract carbon always. I put a small amount of lube on the o-rings of the ARGO system. Nothing inside the ARGO plugs.

For the trigger group, I'd grease the sear contact points of the hammer/trigger/disconnector. Light oil on the hammer plunger.

I have always had the practice of never firing a new weapon before going through it and making sure everything is very well lubed. Just never know how long it has been sitting and what kind of manufacturing gunk is in there. On my M4 I found the choke tube was actually ½ turn lose and the gas pistons were about a ¼ turn lose. Not sure if that would affect anything but something I found. I also found a chunck of white stuff in the area of the bolt. As best I can tell it was probably some dried Loctite used on the magazine tube. Also helps me familiarize myself with the weapon should anything go wrong on the range. Just my $0.02.

Thanks all. I definitely plan to clean and lube it (though it sounds like it will run fine with some sand and spit). Just unfamiliar with the ARGO system so I wasn't quite sure what to do there. I suppose I'll fully degrease it with alcohol and leave it at that. The rest I'll lube well.

Thanks all. I definitely plan to clean and lube it (though it sounds like it will run fine with some sand and spit). Just unfamiliar with the ARGO system so I wasn't quite sure what to do there. I suppose I'll fully degrease it with alcohol and leave it at that. The rest I'll lube well.

Hey Tion!...welcome to the forum!...you might want to put a little bit of choke tube anti seize on the threads as well

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Thanks, Hookster!

Sorry for the dumb question, but is choke tube anti seize like (or the same as) loctite? And, do you mean put it on the ARGO threads or actually on the choke tube? This is the first shotgun I've owned with a changeable choke, so definitely new territory for me.

Thanks, Hookster!

Sorry for the dumb question, but is choke tube anti seize like (or the same as) loctite? And, do you mean put it on the ARGO threads or actually on the choke tube? This is the first shotgun I've owned with a changeable choke, so definitely new territory for me.

Hey Tion!

No definitely not loc-tite but something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=10774

on the choke threads and the argo threads....you don't need much but it will help with disassembly/choke removal

Later,

Hookster :)

okay, got it. Definitely different than loctite. Does the anti-seize just make it easier to remove them for cleaning? I've heard that some people don't like replaceable chokes because they can come undone. Does this increase the problem (or is that really not a problem and just an internet anxiety)?