Duty/Defense to Hunting

zgxtreme

My firearms are geared to my typical usage in regards to being in law enforcement. However, I am entertaining the thought of getting into hunting just to obtain a self preservation skill. Of course, not having done it before, I am lost.

Is there one Benelli model I can purchase that I could use with a variety of game/fowl or am I best left to stick with dedicted models? If the later, I'll move on and begin my research in the subforums dedicated to large game, fowl, etc.

Not going to turn it into a hobby so would like to minimize it to a one weapon purchase if possible since my attention which remain dedicated to tactical and defensive shooting skills with my other weapons.

What do you have now... 18.5" barrel with ghost ring or rifle sights? Funny thing... it used to be if you had a vent rib barrel, you had a field gun, and if you had a shorter barrel with iron sights, or just a cheesy little bead, you had a tactical/defense gun. With the advent of 3-gun, people discovered that a (relatively) short barreled shotgun with a vent rib is a formidable rig for tactical use.

I started 3-gun comp a few years ago with a Benelli M2 Tactical with GR sights. Eventually got a 24" M2 because it's faster on target and the 24" barrel length offers a balance that I'm personally really comfortable with. I'm contemplating fitting a 21" ribbed barrel to the M2T... because, once again, it's faster on target than any iron sight set. The only place where the GR or rifle sights are advantageous IMO, is shooting slugs (precisely) at distances of 50 yds or more.

You could get a M2 Field with a 21" or 24" vent rib barrel (models 11026 & 11021 respectively), which is what a large number of serious Benelli 3-gun competitors use as a starting point. The number one major change is of course the (usually Nordic and Briley) extended mag tube. What you end up with is a first class, "universal semi-automatic shotgun"... that works just as well in the fields and marshes as it does in a dark hallway at 3AM. No ,it's not a dedicated gun and no, it's not a traditional gun... but it flat out works anywhere.

If the semi-auto is a bit too much cash, there's always an equivalent in the Nova & Super Nova pumper lines.

Cheers,

C

If you're stuck on going with Benelli get an SBE and forget about it. However, as Creeper mentioned, if you're looking at a lower budget item the Nova offerings are good choices. I've got both a 12 and 20 Nova along with an M1014, SBE, SuperSport 20 and M2. If I was forced to choose 1 from the lot of my Benellis I'm taking the SBE and not blinking.

*The real thing to note is how the gun fits you, feels and handles in YOUR hands.

good luck

Thanks for the replies; right now I have a M4 with collapsible stock and other accessories, and planning on picking up a SuperNova Tactical package just for grins. The field gun would be the third to round out my Benelli collection. Was browsing and noted both the SBE II and the M2 Field were possibles. Does one trump the other in 26"?

Thanks for the replies; right now I have a M4 with collapsible stock and other accessories, and planning on picking up a SuperNova Tactical package just for grins. The field gun would be the third to round out my Benelli collection. Was browsing and noted both the SBE II and the M2 Field were possibles. Does one trump the other in 26"?

Practical answer: Choose the one you like the most if your budget allows. Otherwise the SBE handles 3-1/2" shells. Personally, I've used 3.5's (sans 10ga) on a hunt once in my life (on a whim) and likely never will again. Some people swear by their 3-1/2" waterfowl loads so you'll get varied opinions/answers there.

With the shim kit and recoil pad choices you should have decent success tweaking the fit (& feel).. main thing is be happy with what your decision is based on fit and feel and how the gun comes to shoulder. Head to a gun shop and handle them both back-2-back-2-back several times.. you should be able get a better 'personalized' answer by doing that.

Good Luck with it, zgxtreme