Urbino Stock question

Tlon

Hi Folks,

I just cleaned, lubed, and put together my new Benelli M4. I also installed a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock so I could get the shorter LOP. The problem I'm having is the place where the trigger guard meets the grip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1779[/ATTACH]

The gap between the back of the trigger guard is much larger than the factory stock, but the real problem is that it's also wider and sharper so it's actually annoying to hold my finger on the trigger. Is this normal for the Urbino stocks? If so, can this be ground down without turning the plastic some odd color (what would be the best way to do that?)

Also curious about the pistol grip. I've seen that a few people have replaced the Urbino grip with the factory stock grip. Just curious how that's done. It doesn't seem like the parts come off easily.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John. Much appreciated. From what I can tell, the Urbino stock grip is smaller. Is that the plastic as well as the rubber? Is there any play or looseness in the rubber when putting the new grip on? Does it line up well or did you have to do any cutting or fitting? Did you glue it on or does it just hold as is? Any chance you might be able to share a photo?

Sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate any help.

Edit: I was able to locate an old thread in which a few folks said they replaced the stock and gave some basic instructions (just wiggle it off?).

Edited by Tlon

Thanks, Hookster.

I wrote to Mesa. It seems like they responded to a number of complaints (grip, loosening, etc.), if not by changing their product (I imagine an expensive proposition), at least with some workarounds. If I could file it down a bit without making it look like I took a cheese grater to it, I think it'd be fine. Definitely like the shorter LOP. It's too bad the factory stock just can't be cut down.

If anyone's interested, I can post whatever they respond with, if anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I been reading your post regarding the gap between the trigger group and the grip/pistol grip sleeve as well. Please contact us directly regarding these issues we have redesigned the pistol grip sleeve and we are offering replacements to any customer who has purchased a Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock. We can be reached at [email protected] OR 949-642-3337.

Hello Folks,

I been reading your post regarding the gap between the trigger group and the grip/pistol grip sleeve as well. Please contact us directly regarding these issues we have redesigned the pistol grip sleeve and we are offering replacements to any customer who has purchased a Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock. We can be reached at [email protected] OR 949-642-3337.

I don't own one of your Urbino stocks, so this issue doesn't affect me directly, but I have to say BRAVO!

You can't beat an offer like the one above, folks.

P.S.- I do have Mesa Tactical shell carriers on all three of my tactical shotguns (Ben. M4, Moss. 930 SPX, Rem. 870). As far as I'm concerned, they are "best in class."

This is good news. I will get in touch with them and let you guys know what I find out.

Hello Folks,

Hello Folks,

Contacted, not sure how you will help me as I live in the UK.

• 5 weeks later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1880[/ATTACH]

I recieved the new grip (one on the right) today, it seemed to go on very snugly and the rear of the grip is more curvy; it feels more natural to hold compared to the old one.

When I hold the gun with the grip side up to reload, the grip seems steady and does not seem to start becoming loose from the stock (a problem on my previous grip).

So now I am a happy camper once again.

I stopped by the Mesa office today and swapped out my old grip for a new one. They were extremely nice about it. They do care, so big props to them. I had mixed feelings about the old grip but if they made an improvement then I wanted to use it.

The new grip mounts the same as the old one. I need to pick up some mild epoxy to finish the install to my satisfaction. It fits very snugly but I prefer the epoxy to finish the job.

The new grip is definitely softer than the old. It's not spongy, but the plastic is less stiff. The top edge of the backstrap is slightly narrower, which is nice for my small hands, but the back is still quite square. I'm not thrilled with that so I will likely take some sandpaper to it and try and round it out. IMO it doesn't fit the hand as well as it could/should. The backstrap of any modern handgun is rounded, so why is the back of this grip so square? It's not as bad as a Gen 2 Glock 21 (which is my benchmark for 'worst grip ever') but it's closer to that then it should be. If for some reason they come out with a more ergonomic version then I would probably upgrade.

Overall it's an improvement, and I can't say enough about their customer service. Mesa Tactical is a great company.

Edited by Case
update