Trouble with 123 SL 80 I just inherited

jackguns

Salutations to all as I just enrolled and found this valuble site. i inherited this gun from my dad and first of all no manual. BIG problem

second of all, when i went to shoot it it did not perform. I loaded 1 shell in the chamber, pushed the bolt release and let her slam home as I am suppossed to. It fired and ejected that shell but never drew another shell out of the magazine tube. The only way i can get a shell out of it is to push the button and then it will release a shell out of the tube

Anyone with any ideas?

I don't know if i am doing something wrong or the darn thing is broke. I have been a waterfowler all my life and owned various brands of shotguns. once owned a Benelli SBE when they first came out. I can't for the life of me figure this out and not having a manual to go inside the gun really irritates me. I called Benelli and was more or less pushed off the phone saying we have no parts, no manuals and don't work on them

Thanks for any help anyone can provide

Jack

Well, first, this is probably a 'smith problem that an owners manual isn't going to help you with. Obviously, upon pulling the trigger the shell release is supposed to activate and allow one out of the magazine onto the carrier. Apparently you have an interface problem between the trigger mechanism and the shell release.

First thing I would do is pop the pin, pull the trigger mechanism out and make sure the trigger mechanism is cleaned and lubricated, then carefully reinstall it. When you put it back in, you'll need to push in the bolt release button so the shell release latch will be positioned properly. Look at the bolt release button when you push up on the bottom latch. It should pop out a little, indicating that the release has pivoted away from the magazine. Recock it then do the same by pulling the trigger. The same thing should happen. If not, there's a problem between the trigger mechanism and the release.

Edited by truckcop

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1780[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1781[/ATTACH]

Well, first, this is probably a 'smith problem that an owners manual isn't going to help you with. Obviously, upon pulling the trigger the shell release is supposed to activate and allow one out of the magazine onto the carrier. Apparently you have an interface problem between the trigger mechanism and the shell release.

First thing I would do is pop the pin, pull the trigger mechanism out and make sure the trigger mechanism is cleaned and lubricated, then carefully reinstall it. When you put it back in, you'll need to push in the bolt release button so the shell release latch will be positioned properly. Look at the bolt release button when you push up on the bottom latch. It should pop out a little, indicating that the release has pivoted away from the magazine. Recock it then do the same by pulling the trigger. The same thing should happen. If not, there's a problem between the trigger mechanism and the release.

First pic show the bolt closed with no shell in mag tube. Next one slows what happens when i insert a shell into the mag tube. the button depresses in and comes back towards the stock like it is locking the shell in the tube. only way to get shell released is to push the button forward with your fingernail. Once shell is released it comes out ready to be loaded into the chamber and the button returns to the middle position and pops out nice like it is supposed to. Sooo... i will go into the receiver to see if i can see anything.

thanks for the reply!!!

Jack

Sorry, upon further inspection, the SL80 trigger/shell release interface is different from the later M1/M2/SBE, etc. I don't see an external shell release on the trigger housing so it looks like the functioning is somewhat different than what I'm familiar with. It looks like there's a mechanism on the bolt body that has more to do with releasing of a shell from the magazine when it cycles rather than the trigger releasing the shell latch. Hopefully, someone else here is more familiar with that version.

Edited by truckcop