Open sights for the R 1

irishdave

Folks I'm new to the forum so hope this message is posted correctly if not my apologies.I recently purchased R 1 in 30.06 saw a lot of comments over the past that it was really difficult to find 10 rd. mags and the open sights.I had called Benelli a couple of times and was assured both were available and if not they would soon be. I have found the mags which seem to be forever on back order but at a high price ( $ 110. Ea.) After much searching I can not locate the Benelli sights anywhere the few sources are all out of stock. every time I have contacted customer service over the past several weeks I do not get much encouragement that I will ever be able to get them.I was told November then December and most recently maybe not until Febuary. I guess they are a hot item even at $ 225.00 . Does anyone know of how to find one ( as stated my Internet search has been zero) is there someone who makes a non Benelli sight that I can install and would work just as well (using the existing thread mounting holes) Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I own 4 Benelli shotguns got the first one over 20 years ago and love -em. This is my first less than positive experience. Thanks

Edited by irishdave

Thanks for the idea sent several of them E mails and all were very nice but said no they don't make one for the R 1 , I may have to try and find a good barrel gun smith who has done some custom sight work. Does anyone have a recomendation ? I have found a couple company's that appear to have that level of expertise

Good news I was contacted by MIDWESTGUNWORKS.COM who was previously out of stock and now apparently has some , I was able to order the set. Not sure if they have several or just the one. For anyone who has wanted a set I would sure jump on this it's been a bearcat to find them anywhere. thanks

Thanks for the intel on sights availability. Got my R1 (30-06) last week and wife is making me wait till Christmas to play with it so I have spent lots of time looking for sights. By chance did you contact Williams? They were on my list to talk to next week. I also found Marble Arms whose web site professes they have sights for every manufacturer. Curious if you spoke to them as we'll or if any member of the forum has experience with either.

• 2 weeks later...

Marble makes a universal set of sights. Customer service is top notch too. I emailed and they got right back with me. Said they don't know if they will fit on the R1 but would send me a set to try. If they won't work just send them back. CS said I would be doing them the favor by trying so they would know.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply been traveling for work, no did not contact those two but sounds like you found an option ,did you try them? And did they work?

Have not tried them yet. I had to go buy some calipers to make precise measurements. I have it all done, just have to remember to send the numbers to Marble Arms.

Williams said they had tried to fit the Benelli before and their sights were a no go. They did not expound. I got the impression one or maybe two people tried, both returned the sights and said no go. Customer Service did not give any specifics, that is just the opinion I came away with. Marble Arms said to their knowledge no one has tried theirs on a Benelli R1 and they would like to find out. They told me what to measure, where, etc. As stated, I just did not send the specs in yet

• 8 years later...

Just received 81131 open sights . Parts missing two base hex screws. Pin is an ejector pin to large diameter pin, looks like wrong pin for rear elevation sight.

Front elevation screw call for same screw as hex mounting screws, but will not tread in front elevation blade. 

MWG is aware of missing part. Benelli USA donot have spare parts other than base/ gas cylinder hex screws.

No instruction available! If you had trouble installing , let us know?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have issues with Benelli #81131 open sight package. Called and emailed Benelli customer service as well as MWG and supply chain issue. They admit package is defective since missing several correct screws and Maryland does not have in stock the correct screws.

They tried to help by sending pins that are to thick s/b. 1/16×5/8" long for rear sight blade and they sent ejector pins from shotguns.

On the front sight, the dove tail red sight is spring loaded, but they keep sending either small allen head for windage adjustment , way to small or gas cylinder screws which are for mounting base to drilled and tapped barrel. See below pic . blade is flat since the windage screw was assemblied in Italy, but that is not the the was they shipped to USA!

The drawing they have are not the same as in the R1 OWNERS manual and that has created additional confusion. If you had this issue on open sights, please reply!

r1-front-and-rear-sight-81131.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, frankgoss said:

Anyone have any help. Called 10 local dealers they just refer back to Benelli USA. DONE THAT 6 months ago. Emailed Italy who said call USA. Buck passing must  an Italian way of life.

You can probably source the missing hardware domestically. The sights are very likely designed and made by Benelli's partner vender LPA Italy.

• 1 year later...