Meprolight Tritium Sight Review

BLACK

The rear set are small on purpose. They're meant to give you a visual reference point to where the ghost ring is. Your eyes will be so close to the rear sight that the glowing image will blur anyway. In dark situations, you don't want a bright set of tritium glowing an inch from your eyes. It will obstruct your natural night vision.

Meprolight Benelli Tru-Dot® Night Sights ML-34302 are currently on sale for $86 at OpticsPlanet. If you have purchased from OpticsPlanet in the past year, they should have sent you a $15 off coupon. Through 24 Dec they have free S&H.

Tactically, I like the tritium night sights. In dim light they provide a good sighting reference. In very dark situations they provide your only sighting reference. Under various night lighting situations, I have turned on my Surefire weapon light (front of light is even with muzzle) and I can still see the green tritium dots, albeit not as bright.

Guess I'm weird,also!...I like mine...:)

• 1 year later...

I have them on an older Glock 40 cal. Sights are very old too (20years) and still working fine. Never think about them, but at night, they are right there waiting. First time I noticed them, I was asleep in my dark bedroom when I awoke to turn over, and noticed some type of LED looking faint light on the dresser. I finally got up to see what I may have left on. It was my pistol laying pointed away from me, and it helped me remember to put the gun back where it was suppose to be. With a pistol in the dark, they are great and without them, you would have to be shooting from grip memory because the tritium just shows you where your front and rear sights are on your target. If it is not dark, they are not needed, yet they do not appear illuminated either. I will eventually put some on my M4.

Edited by badkins100

I can't shoot something until I know who/what it is, know your target and back stop and all that.

Night sights do nothing for target identification. If it's dark enough to need night sights, it's dark enough to need a flashlight. And if it's dark enough to need a flashlight, night sights get washed out from the beam.

Night Sights on a home defense weapon is a HUGE advantage! In my opinion, as important if not more so, than a light.

Well worth the money.

I have them on mine and they are not over bearing as far as bright. They are just right for my tired old eyes. :)

BTW, there is enough light in my house at all times to see the target. The Mepros help my eyes find it faster because when everything is black on the gun, it's a little more difficult to see if your eyes are not that good anymore. As for the flashlight, yes, I have that on there too just in case. But if I can identify the target without a light, I'd rather do that. So different opinions and scenarios for different people.

Edited by bhunted

I can't shoot something until I know who/what it is, know your target and back stop and all that.

Night sights do nothing for target identification. If it's dark enough to need night sights, it's dark enough to need a flashlight. And if it's dark enough to need a flashlight, night sights get washed out from the beam.

Ya think........?!

I know all about night sights, weapon lights and sight wash out.

it is not always completely dark or completely light. In transitional light, the sights are a must.

Better to have them and need them, than not have them.

• 10 months later...