CarrierComp Charging Handle: Will They Ever Be In Stock?

Wiggin

Ever since the last batch of CarrierComp's black charging handle went Out of Stock within hours.. I have been patiently waiting, for months. Though, my concern has grown with the new update on Kip's website. Will the Charging handle Ever be back in stock? They have been removed from the website with production being postponed. Anyone with inside info?

Anyone have a spare black charging handle they would be willing to sell?

Thank you.

Edited by Wiggin

I've been waiting since August with still no luck. I sent them e-mails with no replies back.

CarrierComp sent my muted charging handles in late October. A gal answered every email leading to that delivery. Great comm as I recall.

They mentioned having to sort out a deceased relative's estate across country recently. Betting that put a damper on things. A month away from the shop sounds cumbersome.

Just checked their home page. States that mag tube production is taking precedence during peak demand. Guess that precludes charging handles for a while. I just hope it won't affect my new pic rail order. Fingers crossed.:)

Edited by BM4robbins

A bit of snobbery, IMO/IME.

I have items from both outfits and am equally impressed with the fit and finish and, most importantly, the function of both with the exception of the FFT forearm which, I believe, could use some work.

I have owned items from each and stand by my statement, one of those items being a 3/4" Ti bolt-handle from FFT.

I have owned items from each and stand by my statement, one of those items being a 3/4" Ti bolt-handle from FFT.

I have no financial interest in either of these fine organizations, so I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this, however....

Barring the unlikely possibility that you have some inside information on how much T&E each concern actually expends on their products, your statement related to same is simply a WAG. Preferring one supplier's accessories over another's is one thing. Unsubstantiated, negative conjecture regarding how much effort went into the development of one company's products versus another's is something else altogether. It crosses the line of fairness, in my book.

Edited by XTrooper

With a pending probable assault weapon ban I'd imagine the magazine is in high demand. And since there is a possible deadline an intense push on these would be understandable.

Received this e-mail yesterday from Marcy Carrier regarding the CH

"We are putting off production of the bolt knobs for now to focus on production of a large influx of mag tube orders. The bolt knobs will be available again at a later date, but it is impossible at this point to say when. I am terribly sorry we could not give you a more specific time frame on this."

Received this e-mail yesterday from Marcy Carrier regarding the CH

"We are putting off production of the bolt knobs for now to focus on production of a large influx of mag tube orders. The bolt knobs will be available again at a later date, but it is impossible at this point to say when. I am terribly sorry we could not give you a more specific time frame on this."

Thank you for this information.

...Unsubstantiated, negative conjecture regarding how much effort went into the development of one company's products.....

Not sure how familiar you are with unobtanium. Historically his posts alude to direct correspondence with vendors regarding everything from chemical analysis, metallurgy, right down to scratch and sniff test of every sample he gets his hands on. Leaning one way or another based on data compiled in that way seems fair.

Notice he RECOMMENDED the one you are defending.

not sure how familiar you are with unobtanium. Historically his posts alude to direct correspondence with vendors regarding everything from chemical analysis, metallurgy, right down to scratch and sniff test of every sample he gets his hands on. Leaning one way or another based on data compiled in that way seems fair.

Notice he recommended the one you are defending.

. Amen!

The difference in quality between the FFT and the carriercomp charging handle is that the carriercomp unit uses a steel shank. This means the carriercomp charging handle is less prone to deformation where it inserts into the bolt carrier.

005-3.jpg[/img]

See how the engagement point on the Design Concept's bolt handle is all chewed up? FTT's will do the same since it is all titanium as well. A common misconception is titanium is stronger than steel. While this is true, it is by weight. Kind of like how spiderweb silk is stronger than steel by weight. Even though it has a steel shank, the weight of the unit is kept at an impressive 9.6 grams. The factory bolt handle is around 12 grams.

001-2.jpg[/img]

Just ordered ti 7 round tube and kip said it normally takes 3-5 weeks since each one is made to order. Since the election and everything else its now 8-9 weeks. I asked about the charge handle. They said with all of the orders for Mag tubes its holding everything up. No date offered on when they will be available, Just they plan on starting production of them again soon. Sounds like they are putting all of their efforts into getting caught up on the mag tube orders.

Not everything that could be made out of titanium SHOULD be made out of titanium. I have a very high-end AR that came with a titanium firing pin. After several hundred rounds it started having malfunctions; failure to eject mostly. Once the expended case was stuck in the bolt. I looked at a bunch of the ejected brass and the primers had holes punched in them. WTF?? Took the bolt apart and the end of the firing pin had chipped and was now a sharp spear rather than a rounded striking surface. It was actually punching holes in the primers and was getting stuck in the hole as the case was extracted. BTW, that maker no longer installs titanium firing pins in his guns.

FiringPin001.jpg

Back in my mis-spent youth I worked in a motorcycle shop. Titanium stuff was just getting out into ordinary folks hands from the aerospace industry. They started making motocross handlebars out of titanium. Stronger and lighter than steel, they said. Expensive as all get-out. We put a set on the owner's motorcycle. One hot day, the kickstand dug into the asphalt and the bike fell over. That handlebar folded up like a cheap pocket knife.

Edited by truckcop

I have no financial interest in either of these fine organizations, so I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this, however....

Barring the unlikely possibility that you have some inside information on how much T&E each concern actually expends on their products, your statement related to same is simply a WAG. Preferring one supplier's accessories over another's is one thing. Unsubstantiated, negative conjecture regarding how much effort went into the development of one company's products versus another's is something else altogether. It crosses the line of fairness, in my book.

I have personally owned a Ti FFT charging handle and it deformed with usage. Not significantly, but indeed it did. That is why CC uses an A2 steel tang vs. a Ti tang. They actually T&E'ed an all-Ti version, saw the deformation, and opted to use an A2 tang to prevent it. A limited run of all Ti handles were made by CC, and they were handed out gratis (no, I do not have one), as well as tested in-house. The results of this are why the hybrid handle came to be.

The Ti handle I had from FFT was the 3/4" version. I am sure that their 1/2" version performs much better in every way due to having less weight (less momentum during cycling = less impact on the tang each shot).

Here is a link to my experiences with it: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/22341-FFT-Ti-Bolt-Review?highlight=FFT

FFT brings things to market fast, CC brings better things to market, much much slower. Which one you buy depends on how patient you are and how much the details mean to you. Both are very serviceable products.

Further, Carrier Comp uses thicker tubing for their magazine tubes than does FFT. Now you have to decide...a bit lighter, or a bit stronger?

Further still, FFT is just an answer to CC's longer wait-times. Almost everything they have for the M4 except for the handguards, CC came out with first, and in my opinion having owned products from both, better. There is definitely competition and has been friction in the past. However, I do not side PERSONALLY with one or the other, except to say that Kip was first, and responded directly to requests from myself and other users here for product, and has been very personable. FFT is headed by a man who is trying to provide for himself and his family, and also provides a response to the requests people have: Wanting Ti products faster than Kip can provide them. So I am not "anti-FFT", per se, but I am "Pro-CC". That said, If I were in the market right now for a bolt-charging handle, the FFT 1/2" handle would get my vote. If and when I could upgrade to Kip's hybrid product, I would do so and dump the FFT. Regarding the magazine tube, I think they are close enough so as not to stress over it, although I buy from CC because I place orders before I need things so the wait is transparent to me.

Kip himself has personally told me in the past that he has no negative sentiment toward FFT, and that speaks volumes. We are lucky that Kip and FFT exist in our community to meet our wants and needs---varied they may be.

FFT ships fast, and they are very easy to deal with. Instead of a better product, they offer a more accessible product. A type of PI in and of itself. Like most small businesses, you will find a few stories of conflict involving FFT, but nothing to make a big to-do about, and you will find as many stories praising their fast shipping and easy business dealings as you will praising CC's superb finished products.

Vote with your wallet, regardless of who gets the green, it's going to Americans feeding their families.

Edited by Unobtanium

Not everything that could be made out of titanium SHOULD be made out of titanium. I have a very high-end AR that came with a titanium firing pin. After several hundred rounds it started having malfunctions; failure to eject mostly. Once the expended case was stuck in the bolt. I looked at a bunch of the ejected brass and the primers had holes punched in them. WTF?? Took the bolt apart and the end of the firing pin had chipped and was now a sharp spear rather than a rounded striking surface. It was actually punching holes in the primers and was getting stuck in the hole as the case was extracted. BTW, that maker no longer installs titanium firing pins in his guns.

FiringPin001.jpg

Back in my mis-spent youth I worked in a motorcycle shop. Titanium stuff was just getting out into ordinary folks hands from the aerospace industry. They started making motocross handlebars out of titanium. Stronger and lighter than steel, they said. Expensive as all get-out. We put a set on the owner's motorcycle. One hot day, the kickstand dug into the asphalt and the bike fell over. That handlebar folded up like a cheap pocket knife.

I fully agree with you. Ti is good for things...some things. All of my M4 (5.56) have their OEM FA chrome-plated steel USGI spec firing pins.

However, for magazine tubes and the outside portion of the charging-handle, Ti offers great benefits. Less weight (especially nice for the charging handle, as it directly impacts and enhances reliability with light loads and when dirty, also reduces weight toward the muzzle making for a faster-swinging weapon when used in the mag-tube), further, Ti will not readily corrode, which is also a plus of the mag-tube, not so much for the CH.

Edited by Unobtanium

Just ordered ti 7 round tube and kip said it normally takes 3-5 weeks since each one is made to order. Since the election and everything else its now 8-9 weeks. I asked about the charge handle. They said with all of the orders for Mag tubes its holding everything up. No date offered on when they will be available, Just they plan on starting production of them again soon. Sounds like they are putting all of their efforts into getting caught up on the mag tube orders.

What I don't understand is this.. I have been following all of Kip's updates for months now. He stated that many charging handles went to be painted and he was only waiting on them to finish being painted. He also said he sent the remaining Muted charging handles to be painted as well. He was Not waiting for more to be Produced.. He was waiting for the handles to come back from the paint facility. How long could that take? Where are these missing charging handles? Is he just sitting on them? or possibly all those updates were just fluff to keep customers waiting, and waiting.. When I ordered my Mag Tube several months ago they told me the charging handles would be ready "soon." I'll continue to wait some more..

Edited by Wiggin