New M2 owner...but did I make a mistake?

glocke12

Not really new to semi-auto shotguns, I already own a Beretta AL390 which I use for hunting small game and trap/clays, but for the longest time Ive wanted a Benelli M4.

The price of the M4 has always been a deterrent for me, even though I have come close to at least putting a deposit on one on many occasions.. But at $1800+++ that is more than even many top shelf AR rifles.

So, I was in my LGS yesterday doing a transfer on another firearm, when I spied an M2 tactical/18.5"/pistol grip/ghost ring sites on the wall. Seemed well made and pretty solid, and seeing as how everything semi-auto is flying off the shelf faster than they can be stocked, and the price was not inflated ($1045 + tax OTD), I just said screw it and had them throw that in also.

The only thing I knew about this is that it is recoil operated, unlike the M4 which is gas operated...normally for a purchase like this I would have done more homework upfront.

Once I got home I started reading more about it and realized what the limitations are compared to the M4, namely the inability to mount too much hardware on it.

Primary use of this is basically just for fun, might try some 3-gun competitions with it...not really for home defense I have pump shotgun for that.

Thoughts ? what are people here putting on their M2's? should I have just bit the bullet and tried to find an M4?

Nope, you did just fine. If it's primarily a fun gun then it's not necessary to hang a bunch of stuff on it. You don't need lights, heavy rails, etc., etc. I've used M1's for years in 3-gun, skeet, and hunting. I've got receiver mounted shell carriers on a couple of guns and have never had a function problem. The M2 is going to be a lot lighter than the M4 and, in my opinion, is a more versatile shotgun.

You didn't make a bad decision at all. It's not an "inferior" gun--it's just a "different" gun, and I say this in all honesty.

You're not likely to need to add a bunch of BS on your gun like flashlights and sights, etc. Maybe an extended magazine and a shell holder at most. That gun is actually faster, and lighter, than the M4.

The M4 really excels when you want to have a bunch of stuff hanging off of it--things that really aren't super practical for 3 gun.

I guarantee you I'll shoot my ID guns 10x more often than my M4, just for practicality reasons. You made a good purchase--now just take it out and get to know the gun. You'll love it.

You didn't make a bad decision at all. It's not an "inferior" gun--it's just a "different" gun, and I say this in all honesty.

You're not likely to need to add a bunch of BS on your gun like flashlights and sights, etc. Maybe an extended magazine and a shell holder at most. That gun is actually faster, and lighter, than the M4.

The M4 really excels when you want to have a bunch of stuff hanging off of it--things that really aren't super practical for 3 gun.

I guarantee you I'll shoot my ID guns 10x more often than my M4, just for practicality reasons. You made a good purchase--now just take it out and get to know the gun. You'll love it.

This is very true, and there is nothing at all wrong with your M2 except that you want an M4. Don't take my above post to mean this.

As I explained to the loan officer at my CU when he asked me why I wanted a Z06 when I could have a Grand Sport, and would not buy the Grand Sport even though it would be simpler to finance, I told him:

"Buying something other than what I want to save money is just wasting ALL of the money."

You said it Mr!