Multi-use M2?

DanP

I could really use some help from the experts before I make a $1,500 mistake. Sorry for the long post, but I there are a lot of details to consider.

I am considering buying the M2. The primary purpose of the gun is for home defense. Unfortunately the only place I have available to practice is a local sport shooting club. The minimum barrel length they allow is 26”. So I want to get an extra 26” barrel to use for practice (trap/skeet/sporting clays) and keep the 18.5” for home security.

When using the 26” barrel, I’ll be shooting target rounds due to limits at the club. I’ll be using typical #4 buckshot with the 18.5” barrel. I don’t need the ability to shoot slugs.

I know the barrels are interchangeable, but my concern is that the heavier barrel could cause some cycling issues. The main assumption I am making is that if you increase the weight of the gun then you probably need a lighter recoil spring. I read that the tactical version comes with a heavier recoil spring then the field version. So I would probably need to go with the field version of the spring.

Are there any other differences between the field and tactical versions other than the sights and the magazine capacity? The field version says “Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounting” and the tactical version says “Receiver drilled and tapped for 93A Weaver base” – is this different? (Ya, I’m new to this gun stuff in case that wasn’t already obvious).

If they are the same, then I probably don’t want the tactical version since I would have to replace the recoil spring. So I would buy the M2 field version with the 26” barrel and buy the 18” barrel (probably the one with rifle sites so I don’t need to remove the front ghost ring site when I switch barrels). I’ll add a mag extension to bring it to 7+1 (unfortunately, adding even more weight). I’d like to add a light also.

Given the info above, how likely is it that the M2 would not have cycling issues in both setups I’ll be using? I don’t mind if I have an occasional short cycle when practicing, but it has to be rock solid when setup in the defense configuration. Am I asking too much from the M2? If so, then I’ll probably go with the Supernova instead.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

The minimum barrel length they allow is 26”.

Seriously? Man... that's a bit on the exclusionary side of things. What about the guys that run 24" barrel field guns... they hosed? A 24" M2 Field makes a great all around shotgun.

The main assumption I am making is that if you increase the weight of the gun then you probably need a lighter recoil spring.

I don't believe you'll find that to be the case. The difference in barrel weight is substantially less than the weight added to a M2T with an extended mag tube and a full mag... not to mention the clamps, lights, side saddles etc. etc. that people add to their M2Ts... with no cycling issues.

“Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounting” and the tactical version says “Receiver drilled and tapped for 93A Weaver base” – is this different?

Same holes... just the intended audience is different.

So I would buy the M2 field version with the 26” barrel

Nothing wrong with that... lots of folks, me included, have used the 26" field M2 as a base for 3-gun competition. I actually prefer the vent rib for rapid target acquisition vs. the GR sights. I do keep a M2T at home for the HD application, but unless you have narrow hallways, you can get away with a 26".

No one said (at the lameass country club shotgun range you seem to be stuck with :mad:) you can't have a short (12.5" vs the stock 14.4") LOP stock, so you might want to look at the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock to reduce the OAL of the gun and provide a more tactically sound, square-to-the-target stance. (That last bit is just the way I've trained for the past 30 years... how you like to shoulder a shotgun is entirely your call)

I'm all done. Hope anything I've said provides a little light... or total confusion. :D

Happy New Year!

C

Well, you're kind of jumping all over the place and you're probably confusing a couple of things but I'll try.

First suggestion: find somewhere else to shoot. :) Otherwise;

A change in barrel will not require a change in recoil spring, regardless of the configuration. Not sure where you read that there's a difference in springs from field to tactical. Adding a mag extension shouldn't be an issue either. Any M2 should function just fine with whatever combination of barrels/mag extensions you put on it unless you're shooting very light target loads. Heavier field loads and buck shouldn't be a problem.

Regardless of the version you get, be prepared to shell out another 400 bucks for the additional barrel.

Drilled/tapped receivers are no different from non-d&t except for the holes. Not an issue based on what you've stated above.