What slug type do I use?

RC Maroni

I need to know what slugs to use/buy. I have a Nova 3.5" 12 ga. /26" SI shot gun. I cannot find anywhere on the barrel or gun if it is smooth barreled or rifled. Staring down the barrel with a mini flash light, it appears smooth (barrel removed of course). I have shot at inside gun ranges using Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum 1-1/4 oz Green Lightening Slugs and 2-3/4" slugs and Federal Premium TruBall 2-3/4" 1 oz. low recoil rifled slugs HP, both times using an improved cylinder choke. I have just bought some Remington 2-3/4" 1 oz. Slugger Rifled slugs. I will be using the gun for both hunting and target practice.

Have I used the right slugs and are my new shells correct? What damage can be done if you use the wrong type?

Thanks .

R. C.

If it's a 26" barrel, it isn't rifled. Any of the slugs you mentioned will work. IC choke is fine with slugs. You're not going to damage anything unless you use a really tight choke. "Right" and "correct" shells are dependant on what you're going to do with them and how they group or otherwise work out of your shotgun. Just about every shotgun shoots different than the next, even one that came off the line before or after yours.

Sabot slugs are made for rifled barrels and for your gun I would consider NOT right. Otherwise, the only not-right or incorrect shells would be 20ga., .410, 28ga., etc.

I use the remington slugger 1oz slugs also But mine is M4. I use these for range/target shooting as my walmart has them at a fair price(sorta)

for HD I have 00buck and just bought something from winchester that has a slug and 3 or 4 pellets also. Looks cool but have not shot one yet.

I found it to be easy to get a gun and a concealed weapon carry permit but so darn hard to get any safety training or firearm training. It is not required prior to licensing in this state. It seemed everyone wants $1,200 for me to go somewhere out of town for a couple of days, and then I would qualify to be licensed for carring a firearm in a bunch of states.

My son, who is a police officer/dectective in another city and state is the only one that has taught me anything, and that can only occur far and in between.

Local colleges and universities offer nothing around here. The lines in your local gun suppliers are long and they are very busy lately, and pressed for time so the info you receive is quick and terse. Other than going to a State Gameland (It is against the law to just set up a shooting range in the woods in thsi state, however, there are gameland ranges and you need to purchsse a general hunting license.) and a commercial indoor gun range, I am on my own to find out the info and learn, which I do. This forum has helped a lot. Sorry if I sound ignorant.

It's a shame you're not closer (I'm in NEPA). If you were, I would be happy to give you a good solid day (half classroom/half range work) of basic firearms safety, gun handling, and tactical training with your M4, all for under $200. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something more reasonable and closer to home.

See my post in this thread regarding slugs choices. http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/31565-new-to-forum-and-shotguns-M4-ammo

FWIW, if you're planning on doing a lot of slug shooting, it would probably be worthwhile for you replace the modified choke tube that your M4 came with with a cylinder bore tube. In my experience, slugs are "usually" more accurate when fired through a barrel with no restriction (cylinder bore). I have a Trulock cylinder bore tube in my M4.

For basic recommendations for your shotgun including ammo choices and choke selection, check out the Benelli FAQ page. Info on choke selection is at the bottom of the page. http://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq.php

Edited by XTrooper

I've definitely been loving the Federal Truballs although I use the 1600s and don't usually bother with the LRs. I'll shoot a 100 in a day at the range and with the Urbino stock, it's not as tough on you as it sounds. Been hitting solid 5x for between 5 and 7 out of 9 at 100 yards from the bench and then doing fast exercises (standing) on targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 and all with solid kills and no tumbling at all like I got with some of the more expensive sabots and rifled slugs. It DOES tend to be a little dirty but I'll trade a little more time cleaning the bore for a accuracy any day.

Although I used to use all 00 buck, I've now changed to #1 at home due to the lowered potential of traveling THRU the subject, a higher potential for traumatic injury to an assailant and my wife can shoot it due to the 28ish pounds of recoil compared to around 35 or so with buck. I read some very interesting articles on #1 and I'm definitely sold on it's stopping power with 16 pellets and higher potential of stopping INSIDE the assailant which would provide greater stopping potential. Remington #1s are cheap and all I keep in it at home now.