New Benelli M1 owner needs your help.

lwnemesis

Hi Guys,

First post here for me. I am a proud new owner of a Benelli M1 Super 90 Combat. I was so happy when I got it that I made a bee line to the gun range to shoot it. OMG this thing kicks like a mule. I think it rearranged my shoulder. I did not expect such a kick. I have 2 Mossberg 500/590s and they shoot softer that this thing. I was shooting full power military grade 00 buck and some slugs just to see how it feeds. It ate it all up, but man this shotty packs a mean punch.

Also, I now know what a Benelli thumb is.

I have always wanted an HK import Benelli M1 as I collect HK stuff but this was not what I was expecting.

What can I do to tame it before it kills me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by lwnemesis
grammar

Also, try low recoil buck/slugs. Still kicks. M1's will usually cycle these but it's really gun-specific. If it doesn't cycle the low recoil stuff initially, break it in with a few boxes of the hard stuff then try it again. It's a light gun and there's not much there to tame the recoil other than your shoulder. If you want to shoot it you'll just have to get used to the recoil. I shoot skeet with mine and use full power field loads. Yep, it kicks like a mule. I've gotten to where I can't shoot real low-power loads in other shotguns because it doesn't feel like I'm getting smacked around enough when I pull the trigger. :D

Another way to go, if you don't like a slip on pad and don't mind spending a few bucks, is to install a Mesa Tactical "Urbino" stock. The LOP is shorter and it comes with a nice, thick soft Limbsaver recoil pad out of the box... turns a 3 box gun into a 10 box gun.

Downside, and a heads up... the stock is actually made to fit the M2, so the lower edge of the receiver is not covered as the OE stock does. Most don't care, some get whiny about that sort of thing.

C

I had an M2 that was very uncomfortable to shoot in my shoulder. I'm a LEO and my agency trains us to square up to the target and place the stock in to our chest, roughly between your nipple and center chest just below your collar bone. When placing it there and leaning into the gun the kick is a ton less than shooting it in your shoulder. This is all with Winchester 00. Now of course this isn't practical for skeet and bird hunting but for defense purposes it feels very comfortable. Allows me to engage a target on either side faster and more comfortably. I was issued a m1 S90 SB and it feels really good positioned in my chest v my shoulder.

First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone for their replies.

Michael S - I ended up getting the Linbsaver pad. I think this will work out for me.

Truckcop - I will definitely try the low recoil ammo.

Creeper - I did look into the stock but I have spend so much money in the last 2 months on guns that I will be paying it off for 2 years. So the the cheapest option won, Limbsaver.

Silverlx - This was also suggested to me at the range and it worked but as you mentioned its only good for defense purposes and I would like to shoot some skeet with it. Of course with an 18.5" barrel it will be interesting to see how birdshot spreads.

I had an M2 that was very uncomfortable to shoot in my shoulder. I'm a LEO and my agency trains us to square up to the target and place the stock in to our chest, roughly between your nipple and center chest just below your collar bone. When placing it there and leaning into the gun the kick is a ton less than shooting it in your shoulder. This is all with Winchester 00. Now of course this isn't practical for skeet and bird hunting but for defense purposes it feels very comfortable. Allows me to engage a target on either side faster and more comfortably. I was issued a m1 S90 SB and it feels really good positioned in my chest v my shoulder.