M4 Built In Picatinny Rail Issue?

M4-Desert Camo

I just received my Surefire X300-U and I replaced the factory installed Universal Rail mount and installed the Picatinny Rail mount. The light comes with four mounting options, two for Universal Rail (lever-latch or rail-lock) and two for Picatinny Rail (lever-latch or rail-lock).

Now I don't plan on mounting the Surefire on the top rail but for grins I tried to slide it on. It seems the built in Picatinny rail is so tall (thick) it doesn't begin to clear the retractable lever-latch system when fully retracted. I double checked the surefire's picatinny mount and it's installed properly.

I don't plan on mounting the light here anyhow, that's reserved for the EOTECH EOLAD-1VG so it may not be an issue but I was wondering if there are any known issues with tolerance and the Benelli factory Picatinny rail.

The Benelli M4's top rail is a known out of spec item. They tend to tear up optic mounts. Carriercomp and FFT make a replacement rail that is true spec.

The Surefire x300 series can be adjusted by loosening the bottom hex screws and reinstalling the light onto the rail. Then remove the light and re-tighten the hex screws. On both my x300 ultra lights, I found that the light was extremely difficult to install on certain rails like the Noveske NSR. It was to the point that the rail was actually removing some of the plastic from the bottom of the light.

Also, I assume you're using the P rail insert, not the U rail.

The Benelli M4's top rail is a known out of spec item. They tend to tear up optic mounts. Carriercomp and FFT make a replacement rail that is true spec.

The Surefire x300 series can be adjusted by loosening the bottom hex screws and reinstalling the light onto the rail. Then remove the light and re-tighten the hex screws. On both my x300 ultra lights, I found that the light was extremely difficult to install on certain rails like the Noveske NSR. It was to the point that the rail was actually removing some of the plastic from the bottom of the light.

Also, I assume you're using the P rail insert, not the U rail.

Yup, I'm using the P rail insert. Not sure I understand your adjustment procedure. If I take the light back off and tighten the hex screws, I'll be back to where I started and not enough clearance.

Forget the factory X300/X300 Ultra mounts, they suck. Well, they don't suck if you are throwing it on your Glock, but they suck for rails like the SureFire M80 and other picatinny rails that are on AR handguards, etc.

If you plan on using your X300 on picatinny rail setups, I strongly recommend either the LaRue LT-619 mount, or the American Defense AD-170-S mounted onto the LT-619 base. By using the American Defense QD mount, you will save your rail if you running an M80 or any other picatinny rail with the cutout bars. If you have the solid bars then LaRue is a good choice (LaRue mounts use the smaller recoil lug and it mashes the rails with the cutouts, but is fine with solid-bar picatinny rails). Just for reference, the factory picatinny rail which comes on the M4's receiver is the cut-out style, as is the SureFire M80 side rails - the M80 bottom rail is solid. They must have done this to save weight.

LaRue: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-qd-mount-surefire-x200x300-lights

ADM: http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/105/

I have both the X300 Ultra with the LaRue mount and the ADM mount. I use the ADM on my Benelli for the above reasons.

On the other hand, if you want to run an optic like the Aimpoint Micro T-1, you are best off buying the Carrier Comp rail and using a LaRue LT661. This is what I use on my setup:

IMG_1388.jpg

Edited by forzArmata

It's hard to beat the quality of the SureFire and the Larue QD mounts.....I use a bunch of them and must have every one that LaRue makes. Surprisingly, LaRue did not have a universal off-set rail mount, so I modified their SureFire offset QD mount with holes drilled / tapped on the backsides of the optional rails, so now it may be used for the SureFire's, but can substitute variable length rails on the off-set mount to accommodate RMR's, laser range finders or whatever. Also, most off-set mounts have only a short segment of rail limiting their use to certain devices, e.g. the Daniel Defense shown.

OP might be able to incorporate this idea into his mounting plans.

Screenshot2013-01-11at55735PM_zpsfc00ee93.png

Edited by benelliwerkes