5 + 0 + 1

M4Whore

My current home defense weapon is a Remington 870 with a full magazine, empty chamber and hammer down (uncocked).

I have seen how to load the M4 with 5 + 1 + 1 but it seems that the weapon is being stored with the action cocked causing the hammer spring to be compressed. Can the M4 be stored with a full magazine and one on the carrier but with an empty chamber with the hammer down (uncocked) or will pulling the trigger on the empty chamber cause the next round in the magazine to be released causing a possible jam? I know the next round released has nowhere to go but I do not know what will happen to the functioning of the weapon.

Re: Can the M4 be stored with a full magazine and one on the carrier but with an empty chamber with the hammer down (uncocked) or will pulling the trigger on the empty chamber cause the next round in the magazine to be released causing a possible jam?

I don't know. I would have to try it at the range but I don't think so. I think the floated round requires that you have a round in the chamber and dropping the hammer on a chambered round makes the gun go bang. If you were really fussed you could load a dummy round in the chamber, load the mag, and then float a round, then drop the hammer. At which point I think you're being silly, but that's me.

Why does it matter if the hammer is cocked?

You can store your gun however you like but you aren't going to wear out the hammer spring by leaving it cocked any more than you are going to wear out the mag tube spring if you leave it loaded. Also, a lot of M4 owners buy extended mag tubes, which takes capacity to 7+1+1.

For long-term storage, such as a cache gun, I could see leaving your shotgun unloaded and uncocked. Otherwise don't worry about it.

One man's opinion.

Case, the reason I am inquiring about this way of loading is to make the weapon as safe as possible while still retaining a quick loading method.

It’s not a matter of “wearing out” the spring but when you have a spring compressed for long periods of time; most springs will take a “set”. That means with time the spring will not expand to its fullest length thereby lessening the power of the spring and possibly cause a misfire.

I have no problem with changing out the magazine spring every couple of years but I don’t want to have to take the trigger assembly apart to replace that spring.

And just for grins, I would like to know if this can be done. Thanks for your reply.

Got it. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

There are some knowledgeable members here that should be able to answer your question. You should have a good answer in a day or two.

Edited to add: There is a small button/lever that you can press to de-cock the hammer (I think it's called the "hammer indicator"). I think the same little button lowers the hammer and loads a round into the chamber. One purpose of the button is to enable you to swap out the round in the chamber without emptying the magazine. No idea how this affects the ghost load. Now I am curious too. I'll test it with some dummy rounds and see what I can find.

Edited by Case

Case, the reason I am inquiring about this way of loading is to make the weapon as safe as possible while still retaining a quick loading method.

It’s not a matter of “wearing out” the spring but when you have a spring compressed for long periods of time; most springs will take a “set”. That means with time the spring will not expand to its fullest length thereby lessening the power of the spring and possibly cause a misfire.

I have no problem with changing out the magazine spring every couple of years but I don’t want to have to take the trigger assembly apart to replace that spring.

And just for grins, I would like to know if this can be done. Thanks for your reply.

1. A firearm with an empty chamber can't be made any safer, short of disassembling it, and decocking it won't add or do anything except possibly allay someone's irrational fears. In other words, a weapon with an empty chamber is already "as safe as possible."

2. The spring steel used in the manufacture of firearms will take a set and shorten slightly within the first few days of being continually compressed. After that, it does not compress or shorten any farther no matter how many months, years, or decades it may stay compressed.

Edited by XTrooper