ProMag C-Stock

paladinjme

I talked to ProMag today @ SHOT Show, specifically about the M4 c-stock set - and finally got to see one for myself. I asked about where the components ("of foreign and domestic manufacture") were made - as it pertained to 922r compliance - I got what I considered a 'run around' answer, which started out as 'It *is* 922 compliant', then, 'the butt pad and cheek riser are molded in China by Brookshire Tool & Mfg Co, but the rest is made in Kalifornia and assembled there' ...I think to get a conclusive answer regarding 922 compliance, someone will have to write the BATFE and get a written response about *that particular* product used in that application. Frankly, ProMag themselves did not have a satisfactory answer. Also, the units they had on display were of FAR INFERIOR quality to Benelli factory units. The rep I spoke with also claimed that ProMag made them originally for Benelli and whomever makes them now 'stole' the tooling and intellectual property rights to make them. This whole interaction makes me want to steer clear of ProMag even more than just their substandard, unreliable magazines.

...a few additional thoughts...

1. The 'body' of the Promag buttstock is clearly cast - I haven't verified it, but i believe the factory units are machined - the defects in the metal were clearly visible through the finish which appeared to be more like paint than and anodize or powdercoat.

2. The individual pieces - i.e. each side of the handguard and the buttstock - are NOT stamped 'Made in USA'...as all the other products we buy for 922r compliance are.

Edited by paladinjme

the defects in the metal were clearly visible through the finish which appeared to be more like paint than and anodize or powdercoat.

No defects here....You must have seen something different than what I have, because the finish on mine is pretty nice ! Mine looks and function awesome !

If it doesn't say "MADE IN USA" on it than I don't see the benefit of it other than to safe a few bucks. The factory stock is extremely well made and IMO a few other legit 922r parts to keep the M4 as high quality as possible is the better way to go.

If you can't prove that it was made in the USA while you're at the range than it is not 922r compliant enough for me.

Here is a side-by-side comparision with Zeke's Promag c-stock and one of my factory c-stocks...his picture is better than mine, but the difference is clearly visible. What is immediately apparent to the eye is that the Promag unit is cast and the factory unit is machined. The 'defects' I mentioned previously are easy to see in Zeke's pic. The finish is clearly different, as well. The finish difference *may* be negligible, but IMO, the cast vs. machined part is not. Not saying there's anything necessarily wrong with the Promag, just that it is different...whether that amounts to anything is left to each to judge...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1877[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

It is scary how similar these two products are. The Promag looks identical to the Benelli version except for the body of the stock. Here are pictures of the Promag stock cover on the Benelli chassis. I used the recoil pad screws from the Promag on the Benelli recoil pad as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1940[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1941[/ATTACH]

The Promag looks identical to the Benelli version except for the body of the stock.

What difference's do you see?? The finishes?? Weight?? Type of material?? What about the pistol grip??

The only difference is probably the materials (Promag chassis is not as smooth as the Benelli) and finish used for the Promag. In previous pics you can see that the Promag is glossy while the Benelli is a matte black finish. I have not checked the weight on a scale but one didn't feel any heavier than the other. I am not sure what the material is on the Promag, but you can tell the Benelli is aluminium. Both pistol grips are identical.