M2 Cap Retaining Pin and Spring

Moss

I bought a Benelli M2 field with a 28 inch barrel last June and absolutely love it. However, the other day I was cleaning out the barrel and noticed that the cap retaining pin and spring fell out on the floor. Is it normal to just sit in there loose?

Edited by Moss

Nope, not normal. If I remember right from my Remington armorer school days (Benelli probably the same - I don't remember that being addressed in armorer school) there's a special staking tool that presses the barrel ring metal in around the top of the pin to retain it.

Addendum: yep, I thought I remembered right; the Benelli detent is probably similarly retained

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/staking-tools/870-detent-staking-punch-prod25277.aspx?ttver=1

You're probably better off taking it to a gunsmith who knows what he/she's doing on this or calling Benelli customer service and sending the barrel in for repair.

Edited by truckcop