Jamming SBE

scott27847

I have a SBE with approx. 2500 rounds through it. I'm having trouble with bolt jambing. It ejects the empty shell, but won't spring forward to load new shell. When this first started a few months ago, it was only after 125-150 rounds that day at the range. My assumption was this was caused due to fouling from inexpensive low power shells. Howver, the problem is getting worse. Most recently it started jambing after only 65 rounds. This gun is stripped and cleaned after each day afield. Only the bolt assembly has never been disassembled. Could it be that a spring is already weak?

Originally posted by scott27847:

quote:
Originally posted by tucker301:

Are yo saying the bolt stays hung open?

Does it leave the new shell on the carrier, or does it lift the new shell and then jamb with the shell "stovepiped"?

New shell is on the carrier.

quote:

Does it leave the new shell on the carrier, or does it lift the new shell and then jamb with the shell "stovepiped"?

New shell is on the carrier. I've cleaned the recoil tube. Never tried to disassemble the bolt. Looked like it may require special tools, and the manual didn't give instructions on how.

quote:

quote:

New shell is on the carrier. I've cleaned the recoil tube. Never tried to disassemble the bolt. Looked like it may require special tools, and the manual didn't give instructions on how. If by 'special tool' you mean your fingernail, then yes, you are correct.

It ain't the spring in the bolt - they usually last the lifetime of the gun.

IMHO, it's cheap shells or a dirty gun or how you are holding the gun/not holding the gun or crud in the recoil tube assembly or maybe it's something else...

My top bet is cheap shells...

mudhen - CA

Why the need to use better shells or more "expensive" shells. Is the robustness of the benelli design such that the performance is borderline functional under certian parameters. I would think that the design would be focused on the worst case senerio.

Just my thoughts from someone who owns a benelli and the gunsmith has fired it more than myself. Good luck on the jamming issue I feel your pain.