Newb question on chokes - Sorry

M4-Desert Camo

I have been reading through posts here and I'm not putting together the info I'm reading. Someone (XTrooper) mentioned if you are running a lot of slugs through your gun (M4) use a less restrictive choke (cylinder bore).

In the manual, they are calling the choke with 5 notches "skeet" ... is this the least restrictive choke (cylinder bore) from Benelli for the M4?

The least restrictive bore is the "cylinder". No constriction. Next is "skeet", then . . . just read this:

http://www.trulockchokes.com/faqs.php?osCsid=67b5b4997ad73f9afcd1f5ae7038ea15

Some say improved cylinder, others say modified are the most restrictive you should shoot slugs from. Google choke and slugs together and you'll get answers all over the chart. Some shoot slugs using full chokes. Most would not and nobody recommends shooting them out of more restrictive chokes.

Edited by truckcop

Trulock, Briley, Benelli. All make chokes as well as many others. I'm sure that instant gratification can be fulfilled at BPS tonight. You'll probably find a number of different brands there. You won't go wrong with Benelli or any of the others. Just make sure you get one that is properly threaded for your M4. There are a number of different threadings for Benelli's.

http://www.briley.com/benelli12gauge.aspx

What choke did your M4 have in it and why do you think you need a different one?

Edited by truckcop

I have the Modified in my M4. I was deferring to people smarter than I regarding the subject, specifically XTrooper in the following post:

"FWIW, if you're planning on doing a lot of slug shooting, it would probably be worthwhile for you replace the modified choke tube that your M4 came with with a cylinder bore tube. In my experience, slugs are "usually" more accurate when fired through a barrel with no restriction (cylinder bore). I have a Trulock cylinder bore tube in my M4."

Almost all my shooting will be at a range down the road where you can only use slugs for shot guns. None of those brands are available at BPS .... I'm not in that much of a hurry for one.

Edited by M4-Desert Camo

I use Trulock in many of my SG's and I've been happy with them. And they're only 30 miles up the road from me.

Just for grins, I'd try a Cylinder and an Improved Cylinder as well as your Modified. Your combination of shotgun/bore restriction/slug will shoot differently from my gun with the same exact combination. It's the nature of shotguns. That's why you'll find many different answers to your original question and probably why Xtrooper qualified his answer with "usually". ;)