Benelli M4 -- Weapon light mounting Options Suck!

StrangerDanger

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

023-1.jpg

Seven hours later, it looks like a glazed doughnut. I don't have a bunch of pictures of the slaughterhouse. There was too much swearing going on, and I'm not all that proud of the work to be honest. By the end, it was mainly to just get it done. The epoxy doesn't look as bad in person, the light creates artifacts.

Having to cut into the forearm to make a flush mounting position in such a thin stock was a challenge. I'm surprised it worked in the end honestly.

016-4.jpg

Buy if Benelli would give us a small bolt boss on each side would be great. I haven't looked up close do you think the factory band is thick enough that a guy could drill and tap like the reciver?

Tig a lug onto the band, but then a refinish is necessary.

Once a guy has a pair of holes the bracket should be pretty straight forward..

I looked at going that route myself. The steel is pretty thin. I'm not sure if it is thick enough to thread. There isn't much room on the inside since the magazine tube fits pretty much flush through the hole.

I was thinking an aluminum bracket that two halves bolted together over the hanger and over the top of the barrel and also below it.

Yep. Then have holes through the body that would attach to a small picatinny rail section, or a foot print for the Scout lights. Could even have the six holes for the X300 so that you could eliminate the mounting hardware. The fasteners would be countersunk flush into the back side of the mounting bracket. That way the fasteners couldn't back out they'd just back out into the barrel hanger.

Trouble is, most of the big makers want to make these parts out of cheap aluminum extrusions. Not sure a design like this could be done that way. It would have to be milled.

018_zps52ecb060.jpg

008_zps0e86f0da.jpg

I weighed the shotgun fully loaded. Bathroom scale throw out between 9.25 and 9.5 lbs. This setup is far more comfortable than the Surefire M80. The Surefire along with its GearSector mount had a lot of edges that would jam you thumb when firing. While the epoxy is ugly, it is smooth and presents no edges.

The light mounts pretty far forward, so you don't even notice that it is there unless you need it.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Had some free time last night. My OCD kicked in and told me to clean up the cosmetics of the handguard some. So I applied another layer of epoxy, then sanded it down some to even it out. I then added a few layers of Plastic Dip. Overall, it looks significantly better and there are even fewer sharp edges. It's still fugly, but I'll live.

004-6_zpse0c3ecc4.jpg

008-4_zps8464a8d5.jpg

Looks good!

It's nicely done. Good job.

Had some free time last night. My OCD kicked in and told me to clean up the cosmetics of the handguard some. So I applied another layer of epoxy, then sanded it down some to even it out. I then added a few layers of Plastic Dip. Overall, it looks significantly better and there are even fewer sharp edges. It's still fugly, but I'll live.

004-6_zpse0c3ecc4.jpg

008-4_zps8464a8d5.jpg