can't get this Promag collapsible stock on correctly

lugie

Alright,

I received my collapsible promag stock today (finally), and the unit has paint chips, and there's marring all over the picatinny rails on the forend.

Now, i'm not exactly a happy camper, and part of the reason this is causing such an issue is probably because I was frustrated from the get go (due to the poor condition after blowing the money), but I can't get this thing to lock up correctly. It'll twist to either side, or just one side (be it left or right), but i can't get it to lock down on BOTH sides.

I watched some Youtube video for the installation of the factory Benelli collapsible stock where you start at 45 degrees to the left of the receiver then 90 degrees to the right, etc etc, but I can't seem to get it correctly.

HELP!?

Zeke, i'll take a picture when I get a chance. It's not significant on the stock, though there is a chip on the underside where it slides into the 3-position adapter. The forend pieces look like they were scratching all together against the stock when it got shipped. Poor packaging (and shipping), I presume.

What i'm talking about isn't simply an oil kind of fix, but it might just be that i've never been around an M4 with a collapsible stock.

When this is totally installed, are you supposed to have the ability to turn the stock (be it clockwise or counter-clockwise)? Or should it securely lock up and offer mounting so there is no ability to turn it in either direction? That's the problem i'm having. I can get one side to lock (to where i can't rotate it in that direction), but if i put pressure in the other direction the stock will spin so the cheekweld is upside down.

I'm having a hard time following exactly what the stock is doing. When installing onto the weapon, you should push the release button and hold it in. This button has an interference fit inside of it, so it will slide into the different positions easier with it pressed. To install, you should have the tail piece of the stock rotated 45 degrees to the left. It will slide on about 2 inches then stop. You then rotate the tail piece of the stock 90 degrees to the right. In this position, the tail piece of the stock is in the adjustment channel. You can then push the stock forward, or pull it to the rear to extend the length. There are witness grooves on the receiver extension to give you a visual aid for engaging the notches on the receiver extension. Align these grooves with the front of the stock. When you're in place, rotate the stock 45 degrees to the left. The tail piece should then be straight up and down and locked in place. It should only move if you firmly press the release button, and rotate it 45 degrees to the right.

If the tail piece of the stock is not locking into place. Then there is either a problem with the receiver extension or the stock. My guess is it is the stock.

Slide on at 45 degree angle and align the front of the tailpiece with the mark/line on the tube. As Stranger stated, when doing this the button has to be compressed. Once the front of the tailpiece is aligned with mark, rotate to 90 degree's then let go of the button. Hope this helps ! Still waiting for pics??

Are you able to get the stock into the fully extended and fully collapsed positions?

yes, you have to first compress the button and hold, then tilt stock tailpiece to the right at 45 degree's then either slide forward or rearward. Pretty simple !

yes, you have to first compress the button and hold, then tilt stock tailpiece to the right at 45 degree's then either slide forward or rearward. Pretty simple !

Thank you, but I was curious as to whether or not the OP could do it specifically with his promag unit. If he is leaving the stock at the install notch, it will freely turn left or right 45 degrees with or without the button depressed. At least that is what my factory c-stock does. If he isn't sliding it to one of the three actual positions, the catch won't properly engage.

OP, I had my Pro Mag C-Stock delivered to me on Friday the same day I picked up my brand new M4. The fit and finish of the stock was actually better than what I was expecting - no chips or marring on the coating. Installation was very easy, I just followed this video:

My Pro Mag works perfect, no issues with it being too tight or not locking in correct positions - I can easily go between all 3 without any hang-ups. Make sure you have a the 3 position tube, like the others have said.

I put 25 rounds though it today in the -3* temps here in VT - I love this gun!

DSC_0147_zps1092696e.jpg

DSC_0146_zps9d4bb839.jpg

I do have the correct recoil tube.

And yes, it will spin freely to one side or the other when it's aligned with the proper notches--not solely at the install area. It doesnt lock stable straight up and down as I think it should. I understand if you press the button and THEN twist the stock, it should be able to rotate clockwise/counterclockwise, but it'll rotate without me pressing the button.

I tried to use that ratworks video too--only problem is I can get my stock to line up at the proper positions, but I can only get it to lock on one side. If i put pressue on the other side (say counter-clockwise rotational pressure), it'll spin the stock so it's upside down. That's without pressing the button. And while it could still be shot this way, I expected a better lock up than that. Unless they're all this way?

Edited by lugie

Zeke, here are your pictures. It's not too terrible, but honestly, i'd send it back if I weren't afraid it'd take 6 months to get it again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1890[/ATTACH]

Hmmm...It looks like small chipping. Mine isnt chipped at all, mine has a glossy finish, but it probably will chip over time.

BTW, I didnt even use my forearm. I have a Surefire.

As far as functionalbilty, it works fine. Must have got a bad bacth. BTW..how do you like the forearm? Does it fit good and are you going to use it?

Edited by Zeke

It LOOKS like it's on right. That's what makes me think they're either supposed to be able to freely rotate when extended at the full LOP notch, or i just got a bum unit. What do you think, StrangerDanger? I'll upload a few more pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1892[/ATTACH]

I hope someone can figure out what the problem is. It seems no one in my area has a collapsible stock on their M4 (nor any experience with one).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1893[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1896[/ATTACH]

I'm on my mobile so I'll apologize in advance if you mentioned it already..

You verified the recoil tube.. however is it the factory installed tube or aftermarket?

As mentioned, the orientation is key to ensuring the cross bolt locks the stock in the uprigjt positions.

It should only rotate otherwise for takedown.

There must be a defect with the detent of the stock if it will engage the notches so that the stock won't slide along the tube and can only rotate one way. Unfortunately, you can't photograph it. Take the stock off and feel the top of the inside of the stock's tube. You should feel the detent as a cylindrical bar that goes across the width of the tube. It should move up when the button is pushed and not move at all if the button isn't pushed. Does the bar feel smooth all the way across? Can you push it up easily without the button pushed? My guess the bar is broken, not to spec, or has a faulty/missing spring.