Damage to bolt assembly arm(?) after only ~200 rounds

forzArmata

What gun?

The part is called the "link". It's basically the pushrod that enters the recoil tube assembly when the gun is fired and pushes the bolt back into battery due to the recoil spring. The first two pictures look like it might be coming into contact with the leading edge of the recoil tube as the bolt moves back, although I can't imagine how unless it's put together wrong somehow. The tip of the link in the third pic is the area that comes in contact with the recoil spring plunger. The shiney wear there is not necessarily anything wrong since that's metal on metal contact under quite a bit of force when firing and recoiling. The plunger is rounded inward and the tip of the link kind of sits down in it. I would inspect the recoil tube and see if anything is amiss there for those other two areas. The link is obviously coming in contact with something and the only place I can think of that would be would be inside or the front edge of the recoil tube.

Edited by truckcop

Again, what gun? That type of link is used on a number of B's including Super Black Eagle and M4.

Before you take any recoil tube off/apart, just disassemble the gun and look in the rear of the receiver at the front of the tube. Is there any evidence of the link coming in contact with the front edge of the tube. Is the plunger all there? It's a concave piece of metal, like a tiny dish. Look at the back of the trigger mechanism while it's out. Any evidence of metal on metal contact where it shouldn't be?

Edited by truckcop

Is there any evidence of the link coming in contact with the front edge of the tube. Is the plunger all there? It's a concave piece of metal, like a tiny dish. Look at the back of the trigger mechanism while it's out. Any evidence of metal on metal contact where it shouldn't be?

Everything looks good, from what I can see. I took out the trigger and took the barrel off, and cycled the bold back a bunch and it is super smooth. The link sits perfectly in that dish and enters the recoil tube without any rubbing. In fact, I can see the rub marks on the link and they don't seem to come even close to any metal parts in there. Strange.

I'd hit the shiny spots with a black sharpie, then cycle the weapon a bunch. Maybe even live fire the weapon. Then inspect the recoil link again to see if it is rubbing the sharpie marker off. I'd be interested to see if the wear occurred during operation or if it happened during assembly. The peening around the nose of the recoil link is pretty common. I think mine looks like that as well. The top scrape is not a common mark that I've encountered.

Inspect the inside of the receiver for wear marks. Such as obvious wear around the recoil spring plunger at the back of the receiver.

Did you notice if those top marks were there when you first received the weapon? There is nothing inside of the receiver extension for the link to rub on. It's a smooth tube on the inside. If it is hitting anywhere, it will be at the outer edge. I'm betting someone would overly rough with it at either Benelli or at the gunshop while they were fingering it. The scrapes appear to be laterally against the length of the link.

The ones around the nose are certainly from firing.

The link is a pretty inexpensive part actually. It's like 34 dollars from Brownells. The only trouble is restaking the link pin. The wear is only cosmetic though. However, it it continues to get worse, then I'd consider contacting Benelli for service.