M4 ejection port/action metal mashed from spent shells

forzArmata

Wtf is going on here? It seems that my aluminum receiver is mashing under the force of the shells being ejected(?), from the looks of things. My Benelli is new with under 200 rounds through it. The bolt is cycling as smooth as silk, and there is no evidence of rubbing in any way.

Here's a pic - you can see the aluminum folding over in the direction the shells get ejected. It's fairly minor now, but I can catch the lip easily with my fingernail. And if it's this mashed already, I hate to see it after 1000+ rounds.

IMG_1483.jpg

Are there any scratches on the head of your hammer?

Yes, but what's your point? The hammer is one thing, the finished aluminum receiver is another.

A firearm, including your M4, is a TOOL! They get scratched and otherwise marred in normal use. If someone wants their firearm to remain in pristine condition, best leave it in the safe and never load or fire it

Thank you for your insight. I believe you are missing my point here.. so let me make it clear one more time.

My BRAND NEW Benelli M4 with UNDER 200 shells through it is DAMAGED. Like I said, I can understand wear and tear after a thousand or more rounds, but to have noticeable damage like that after realistically 150+ rounds is just odd. That's my issue. Wear is not a problem as I use my gear and run it hard. I do have a problem however with a $2100 CAD shotgun that is damaged from spent shells (plastic and brass) after one or two shooting sessions.

The ejection ports of LOTS of semi-automatic and automatic weapons get scratched and dinged after the FIRST cartridge or shell case is ejected. That's a fact.

Your M4 is not "damaged" and the fact that you believe it is demonstrates a gross lack of experience and understanding of these weapons. I can guarantee that if you checked every M4 on the planet that has been fired at least a dozen times, you'd find at least as many scratches on every single one of them as yours has.

Still think it's damaged? Send it back to Benelli for "repair" and see what happens. If nothing else, it should make for some interesting conversation amongst their gunsmiths.

Best of luck to you.

Yes, but what's your point? The hammer is one thing, the finished aluminum receiver is another.

Thank you for your insight. I believe you are missing my point here.. so let me make it clear one more time.

My BRAND NEW Benelli M4 with UNDER 200 shells through it is DAMAGED. Like I said, I can understand wear and tear after a thousand or more rounds, but to have noticeable damage like that after realistically 150+ rounds is just odd. That's my issue. Wear is not a problem as I use my gear and run it hard. I do have a problem however with a $2100 CAD shotgun that is damaged from spent shells (plastic and brass) after one or two shooting sessions.

It is not damaged, and this falls under the category of wear. If you don't like it, sell it and don't ever buy another M4 shotgun, because I can promise you 100% that it will do it, too.

I doubt you meet anyone near as OCD as me about their gear, either, so take it FWIW.

Great, something else for me to pay attention to that I probably never would have noticed otherwise.

It's normal wear and tear within tolerance. Don't stress over it. Only stress over things that should NOT be there. Other stuff for you to look at that will drive you crazy...

The barrier battering the back/inside of your receiver.

The hammer-face being peened and polished.

The linkage being scarred as it rotates in the base of the carrier during recoil.

:p

I would love to see that Benelli make their M4 receivers from steel. So much wear and tear problems would be solved and I doubt it would gain so much weight to the firearm.

There is no problem. All it would do is add unnecessary weight. When you find me a Benelli 7075 alloy receiver that has "worn out", please post a picture of it.

It's normal wear and tear within tolerance. Don't stress over it. Only stress over things that should NOT be there. Other stuff for you to look at that will drive you crazy...

The barrier battering the back/inside of your receiver.

The hammer-face being peened and polished.

The linkage being scarred as it rotates in the base of the carrier during recoil.

:p

Haha thanks for that!