Low light M4 use - Streamlight w/laser or reflex sight?

quickbiscuit

Hey, guys. I'm finally making progress on modding my desert camo M4 for home defense use. The main goal was to add a light and figure out some sort of alternative sighting option as I knew the factory sights wouldn't be of much use at night with the light activated.

I'm very pleased with the BLAM4 mount for my light, but now it's time to decide if I should replace my Surefire Scout 600c with something like a Streamlight TLR-2 with integrated laser, or keep the Scout light and mount a good reflex style sight.

On the one hand I would like to keep using the Scout light because it fits my application well and I'm very pleased with how I was able to position the pressure switch on the left side of my forearm for activation with my thumb. Besides that, I won't have any use for it if it isn't on the M4 plus it was an expensive light and now they seem to have fallen out of favor, so I doubt I could get much for it on the secondary market.

On the other hand, most reflex sights are in the $400-550 range unless you want to drop down to something like the Burris Fastfire. So that makes keeping the Scout light a pretty expensive proposition. That said, the TLR-2 ain't exactly cheap either.

Environment will mainly be indoors. It's my go-to gun if I have a break-in. There's a possibility that I might use it to engage a target in or around my detached garage or barn (longer range), but usually if I hear a bump outside I take an AR.

Any opinions on which setup would suit me better? Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks!

Do you think your BLAM4 mount is strong enough to retain a laser's zero? I know for sure mine wasn't.

Why are your iron sights useless with the weapon light at night? I never had a problem with using them on illuminated targets.

As for the top rail, it depends on the mount design. If it is a cross bolt design like in an EOTech, the factory rail will be fine. If it is a lug design like the LaRue mounts, you will need to replace the rail.

SD - you've had a less than pleasurable experience with the BLAM4, but I have no complaints at this point. Maybe the tan coating on my M4 made the difference, maybe I happened to get a perfectly machined mount for my gun, or maybe CTG has made improvements since you purchased your mount. I'm totally satisfied that my BLAM4 is stationary and won't move. I've tugged on it pretty hard, and there is just no way this mount can shift with the way it fits my gun.

Back on the sights, in pitch black with my light activated I cannot see the dots on my rear sight because all of the light is projected close to the muzzle. Probably wouldn't make a difference in the panic of home defense, but I want to be confident in the setup that I'm relying on to protect my home and family. Besides that, I just really don't like ghost sights.

Also, thank you for explaining the problem with the factory top rail! I'm glad I know what to look for now.

The BLAM4 fits pretty well on onto the weapon. The issue is the MOE rail only has that single fastener in the middle and the two locator tabs on the back. The tabs aren't fit together very well, so there is some play. I've considered drilling two holes through the rail and into the BLAM4 and pinning it in place, but I don't have access to a drill press at the moment to do it.

Using some epoxy might fill in the holes and glue the rail to the BLAM4 also.

Have you considered adding a set of Meprolight night sights?

I'm going with the EOTECH EOLAD for my sight/laser combo. Red dot for further and laser for HD. Replaced the factory picatinty with the one from FFT.

I'm a big Eotech fan. But I don't want something that bulky on a shotgun. Also I'm real funny about having anything hanging off the left side of the gun that I would have to look around or over. Love the Eotechs on AR15s but I'm thinking low profile for the shotgun. I have looked at the Eotech MRDS however.

The BLAM4 fits pretty well on onto the weapon. The issue is the MOE rail only has that single fastener in the middle and the two locator tabs on the back. The tabs aren't fit together very well, so there is some play. I've considered drilling two holes through the rail and into the BLAM4 and pinning it in place, but I don't have access to a drill press at the moment to do it.

Using some epoxy might fill in the holes and glue the rail to the BLAM4 also.

Right, I realized that was your main issue. I just can't see any problem with mine. Like I said, I've tugged on this every way I know how and its staying tight all around. Gluing the rail would work, I'm sure, if any problems ever did come up.

Have you considered adding a set of Meprolight night sights?

Yeah, that was my plan a couple of years ago. Then I began to realize how little I like the M4 ghost ring design anyway, so I never messed with it. I think for the quickest target acquisition, some sort of red dot will have to come into play. I've just got to decide whether to scrap the Scout light or buy a reflex. The Eolad recommendation above got me thinking even though I don't like that particular design. I wonder if there are any other options for mounting a laser on the top rail along with a red dot sight of some sort.

Edited by quickbiscuit