M2 tactical sights with field barrel...what are the options?

TheHolyCannoli

Lets say you have an M2 tactical with ghost ring sights and the typical 18in barrel. If you were to swap the barrel to a longer field version with the typical bead sight at the end, is it possible to "overlook" the rear ghost ring and effectively use the front bead? Or would you have to remove the rear ghost ring every time you wanted to use the longer barrel?

I have access to a 26in benelli barrel so I'm just trying to think out potential setups if I purchase the M2 tactical.

OK... I see what's going on here. You want 1 shotgun to do it all, with perhaps no more than a barrel change. I understand that concept... I've been there, which is why I have 3 M2s and an M1. :rolleyes:

So... let me toss out an option. Buy a Benelli 21" Field (item #11026) with ComforTech stock.

Why? 'Cause sighting down a rib is extremely fast... faster than iron sights, but not quite as accurate at longer distances. Compromise? Sure, but for you, this may be a better compromise than buying an M2T.

Look at what 3-gunners use... 99% vent ribs. Why? Real fast and more than adequately accurate.

For HD:

• Get a Urbino stock... cause you'll get one eventually anyway. Shortens the gun almost 2 inches. Makes overall length almost a wash with a stock M2T.
  • Get what ever you like for mag tube, bolt handle, bolt release button... any other farkles that blow your skirt up.
  • Get a sling... if you like them.
  • Get a light with momentary activation and a good clamp mount. Don't be cheap here.
  • Get a Hiviz or other fiber optic front sight. At night, if you've installed the gunlight in the right place, when you hit the button that fiber optic lights up like a freakin' LED.
  • Have Fun!

For everything else:

• Slap on the 26" barrel and what ever you can legally use for mag capacity.
  • Keep the HiViz front sight... they are the shiz.
  • Take off what ever you don't want to lug around hunting.
  • Have more fun!

Does that make a lick of sense to you? At least a consideration?

I truly love M2Ts, but if someone was to ask for a gun that serves multiple purposes... the above is what I'd tell them.

Cheers,

C

This is the very reason i went with a M2 field first and then purchased an 18.5" tactical barrel with rifle sights. The rifle sights are faster for me. I have a 21" M2 barrel also, but I haven't used it because I have been happy with the 18.5" and 26" to do everything I need.

Lets say you have an M2 tactical with ghost ring sights and the typical 18in barrel. If you were to swap the barrel to a longer field version with the typical bead sight at the end, is it possible to "overlook" the rear ghost ring and effectively use the front bead? Or would you have to remove the rear ghost ring every time you wanted to use the longer barrel?

I have access to a 26in benelli barrel so I'm just trying to think out potential setups if I purchase the M2 tactical.

• 2 weeks later...
OK... I see what's going on here. You want 1 shotgun to do it all, with perhaps no more than a barrel change. I understand that concept... I've been there, which is why I have 3 M2s and an M1. :rolleyes:

So... let me toss out an option. Buy a Benelli 21" Field (item #11026) with ComforTech stock.

Why? 'Cause sighting down a rib is extremely fast... faster than iron sights, but not quite as accurate at longer distances. Compromise? Sure, but for you, this may be a better compromise than buying an M2T.

Look at what 3-gunners use... 99% vent ribs. Why? Real fast and more than adequately accurate.

For HD:

• Get a Urbino stock... cause you'll get one eventually anyway. Shortens the gun almost 2 inches. Makes overall length almost a wash with a stock M2T.
  • Get what ever you like for mag tube, bolt handle, bolt release button... any other farkles that blow your skirt up.
  • Get a sling... if you like them.
  • Get a light with momentary activation and a good clamp mount. Don't be cheap here.
  • Get a Hiviz or other fiber optic front sight. At night, if you've installed the gunlight in the right place, when you hit the button that fiber optic lights up like a freakin' LED.
  • Have Fun!

For everything else:

• Slap on the 26" barrel and what ever you can legally use for mag capacity.
  • Keep the HiViz front sight... they are the shiz.
  • Take off what ever you don't want to lug around hunting.
  • Have more fun!

Does that make a lick of sense to you? At least a consideration?

I truly love M2Ts, but if someone was to ask for a gun that serves multiple purposes... the above is what I'd tell them.

Cheers,

C

That was my exact line of reasoning to get an M2 Field

Cheers!