What agencies/organizations use the M2 that would support Benelli's claim?

TheHolyCannoli

Direct from the Benelli M2 webpage: "The M2 tactical is a no-nonsense 12-gauge shotgun that police and military the world over reach for when the going gets tough."

1) poor proofreading on the part of the website editor

2) what police and what military units are actually using the M2?

I've searched quite a bit but haven't been able to find any confirmation. Perhaps I'm not using the correct search terms, so I was hoping somebody else might be able to help provide an answer.

Why should we care?

As long as we could find a single military unit and/or police organization on two or more continents (the world over) having at least one M2 in their arsenal, the Benelli statement above would be true.

True or not, the statement isn't worth much.

Hi Y'all. Curious of the same thing myself I contacted Benelli directly and asked the question.. To my surprise the fella on the phone began rattling off groups I had never heard of, along with some I do know. I asked him to email a list to me, and I pasted it below. I think we can clearly chalk this up to fact, not fiction.

1. UK Army and UK Special Forces (SAS, RAF, Royal Marines)
  2. UN Missions (Burundi, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Chad, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor,..)
  3. Italian Army, NOCS, Carabinieri and SF
  4. France GIGN
  5. Spain Policia de Catalunia, Basque Police
  6. Germany GSG9 and SEK
  7. Irish Army and SF( Army Ranger Wing) An Garda Sciochana Police (ERU)
  8. Brazilian Army and SF
  9. Argentina (Gendarmeria Nacional, Prefectura Naval)
  10. Egypt MOD (Unit 777), MOI (Hostage Rescue Force)
  11. U.A.E. Police force 7, MOD (UAE Armed Forces)
  12. Singapore Police Forces
  13. Bahrain (NSA)
  14. Kuwait, Kuwait National Guard
  15. Jordan (Military Office, Gendarmerie, GID)
  16. Oman (Royal Guard Oman)
  17. Quatar MOD (Amiri Guard)

That is an impressive list. Thanks for posting.

To be fair: Just because Benelli supplies them with gear doesn't mean they use it.

And regular use does not necessarily imply superiority. For example, there are weapons that are in wide use in the US armed forces that, in my opinion, are crap (M9 pistol, I'm looking directly at you).

For me it's a balance between adoption for use amongst professionals that have a choice and a broader understanding of what the competition is (or isn't) offering.

If you take all this into account I think the M2 is a great shotgun. I own/shoot the M4, but if someone handed me an M2 I would be comfortable betting my life on it. I can't say that about very many things.

One man's opinion.

Hi Y'all. Curious of the same thing myself I contacted Benelli directly and asked the question.. To my surprise the fella on the phone began rattling off groups I had never heard of, along with some I do know. I asked him to email a list to me, and I pasted it below. I think we can clearly chalk this up to fact, not fiction.

1. UK Army and UK Special Forces (SAS, RAF, Royal Marines)
  2. UN Missions (Burundi, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Chad, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor,..)
  3. Italian Army, NOCS, Carabinieri and SF
  4. France GIGN
  5. Spain Policia de Catalunia, Basque Police
  6. Germany GSG9 and SEK
  7. Irish Army and SF( Army Ranger Wing) An Garda Sciochana Police (ERU)
  8. Brazilian Army and SF
  9. Argentina (Gendarmeria Nacional, Prefectura Naval)
  10. Egypt MOD (Unit 777), MOI (Hostage Rescue Force)
  11. U.A.E. Police force 7, MOD (UAE Armed Forces)
  12. Singapore Police Forces
  13. Bahrain (NSA)
  14. Kuwait, Kuwait National Guard
  15. Jordan (Military Office, Gendarmerie, GID)
  16. Oman (Royal Guard Oman)
  17. Quatar MOD (Amiri Guard)

Thank you very much for posting this. I think people are confusing caring with curiosity...I never intended to attach any real "worth" to the claim, but it's interesting to see what organizations adopted this platform. Makes me wonder what factors outside of cost, if any, led to choosing the M2 over the M4.

I believe that list may be dated. For instance, it's a well-known fact that currently UK forces, including the Royal Marines (like the US Marines), are using the M4, designation L128A1, and not the M2.

It's likely that list is of all organizations that use the M2 or have used it sometime in the past.