M4 tactical H2O banned?

dpemd

A local dealer told me that the M4 tactical H2O has been banned for sale in the US by the ATF. Can anyone confirm this? If it hasn't been banned does anyone know where I can order one online? I am willing to wait as long as it takes (i.e. years) but would like to get in line. Thanks in advance for any input.

Everything is in limbo because of Feinstein's legislation. Here is a summary regarding shotguns:

"All semiautomatic shotguns that have a folding, telescoping, or detachable stock; pistol grip; fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds; ability to accept a detachable magazine; forward grip; grenade launcher or rocket launcher; or shotgun with a revolving cylinder. The legislation excludes the following weapons from the bill: Any weapon that is lawfully possessed at the date of the bill’s enactment"

The H2O has a pistol grip, capacity to accept more than 5 rounds, and a telescoping stock. That would make it a banned weapon. If you already own one you're in the clear but if the bill passes your chances would be zero.

You could buy a 11707 and add the full length mag tube and collapsing stock and the other required parts to be 922r compliant. Then send it to robar guns to have the nickle finish added. It would cost less and you wouldn't have to wait as long. robarguns.com

Edited by 12stones777

The H2O has been discontinued by Benelli and it has NOTHING to do with any pending legislation. The decision to end production came before any of the present craziness. The cause of death of the H2O was that Benelli tried to accomplish a work-around of the 922r regulations by shipping the parts for the guns here and assembling them in the US, but the ATF rejected the plan.

The H2O has been discontinued by Benelli and it has NOTHING to do with any pending legislation. The decision to end production came before any of the present craziness. The cause of death of the H2O was that Benelli tried to accomplish a work-around of the 922r regulations by shipping the parts for the guns here and assembling them in the US, but the ATF rejected the plan.

Just wondering, where did you get the info that it has been discontinued? I talked to a Benelli rep not too long ago (I believe in December) and they said it was still under review.

That is consistent with what my dealer said.

You could buy a 11707 and add the full length mag tube and collapsing stock and the other required parts to be 922r compliant. Then send it to robar guns to have the nickle finish added. It would cost less and you wouldn't have to wait as long. robarguns.com

I am a little hesitant to modify because I really don't understand 922r

gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com would be places to look if they are ok where you live.

Prices might be steep thou.

impactguns.com also sells them but are out of stock atm http://www.impactguns.com/benelli-m4-12ga-185in-telescoping-stock-h2o-finish-11711.aspx

I saw them listed at impact guns and set up the notify when available feature. I just wish I could back order from them today, but it appears they may not be sold anywhere anymore.

Hi dpemd and welcome to the forum! 922r isn't overly complicated... Just illogical... Freedom Fighter Tactical's website has a pretty straightforward section to answer questions about it here:

http://freedomfightertactical.com/922r-faq/

Compliance now is much easier than it used to be with more quality compliance parts available

Take Care,

Hookster :)

I am a little hesitant to modify because I really don't understand 922r

It's a waste of time to obsess over 922r. Everyone on this board will scare the daylights out of you talking about it, but I've never seen anyone that has brought forth a court record or arrest report ONLY charging someone with violating 922r. Unless you are going to throw your modded M4 in a very knowledgable ATF agent's face, how could this ever come back on you? It is a law that only applies to the Benelli by association. No US attorney is going to waste time prosecuting you because your Italian home defense shotgun doesn't have 3 American made parts on it. It is not a malicious crime and does not matter in the real world. Now if you go out and kill someone with your modded M4 or are caught trafficking weapons, you might get a 922r charge, but that would be the least of your worries at that point now wouldn't it?

Edited by quickbiscuit

There are ways to make your own H2O M4 if you're interested. Actually, you can do it better than the H20. You can send parts of the M4 to WMD Guns to have it coated in NiB. What's better about this is you can have a top coat applied in Cerakote. So you can have the exterior whatever color you want. That way, you get the benefits of having it coated, but you don't have to be stuck with the satin silver finish.

The only real problem is you have to disassemble the weapon pretty thoroughly.

Barrel: I would not try to coat the barrel. There are parts that are riveted into place on the barrel that have springs behind them. Mainly on the ejector and the barrel cap detent. I would just have this Cerakoted whatever color you want.

Receiver: The receiver extension will need to be removed. As well as the rear sight housing. You'd have to pull out the trigger pin and the magazine tube would also need to be removed. The shell stop would need to be removed. I've personally done all of this except the rear iron sights.

The shell stop assembly could be coated in NiB.

Magazine Tube: If your full length magazine tube is titanium, it cannot be coated in NiB, but it can be Cerakoted.

Magazine Follower: This can be coated in NiB.

Pistons: These can be coated in NiB.

Receiver Extension: This can be coated in NiB.

Recoil Plunger: This can be coated in NiB.

Bolt Carrier Group: This can be coated in NiB. You could even ask for the visible portion of the carrier to be painted with Cerakote.

Trigger Group: This would need to be fully disassembled. The Trigger Group itself could be coated in NiB. I would recommend coating several of the smaller parts within it, but not the trigger/hammer/disconnector components. I'd coat the shell elevator, hammer spring plunger, and shell release lever.

That is consistent with what my dealer said.

I emailed Benelli and this is their response which I received today

Thank you for contacting Benelli USA. They currently are not banned, but are under an ATF evaluation. The future of these are uncertain at the moment as we still do not know what it is going on, but feel free to check back anytime for updates.

Thank you for contacting Benelli USA. They currently are not banned, but are under an ATF evaluation. The future of these are uncertain at the moment as we still do not know what it is going on, but feel free to check back anytime for updates.

That’s exactly what I was told when I called Benelli in December. Local dealers have also told me that H2Os will never make it to the US shore (Carter Country near Houston) but I put more weight on what Benelli says. They are the only documented and credible source for this information and I don’t know why they would have a reason to lie about the review status.

This is why I’m saying Feinstein's legislation is the X factor. Under the proposed legislation the gun would not in fact be able to make to the US in its current configuration (See my earlier post) regardless of whether it passes ATF review.

This makes sense the ATF put them in a holding pattern because there are issues if they try to declare that NP3 coating is not manufacturing. They have already declared that it does and made people pay taxes on said manufacturing activity. If they now declare it as not manufacturing then they are subject to refund request for taxes taken in.

It may actually be hard for them to finally rule it ineligible. But by placing it under 'evaluation' they can effectively stop production for a period of time. Right now there are bigger fish for Benelli to fry. The ATF doesn't like it and so they are doing what they can to hold up it's implementation.