Nordic Extension/922r Compliance?

btmar

So I've got an SBEII that is my hunting gun. However, I shoot A LOT of clays (with buddies, not skeet/sporting clays) in the offseason and there's a big gap between the end of duck season and the start of dove season. I've also dabbled with the idea of getting into some 3-gun and figure the shotgun is easier for the woman to handle than my Glock and 4 shells for HD seems like so few. Extensions are cheap so why not.

I was doing some research about what length I should get and then came across posts about 922r compliance. My gun is just a straight from the factory 26" Max-4 SBEII...no pistol grip or any other upgrades or anything. I've never really dabbled in messing around with my shotguns so I'm not as familiar with 922r as other firearms laws. What do I need to ensure my gun stays compliant?

Also any recommendations on length? I think I've settled on +7 as it should extend less than an inch past the barrel. However, I've got an extended choke on it so it seems the +7 will still be short of the muzzle.

Here ya' go... 922r compliance. Your gun probably scores a 12... just so ya' know, so a tube and a follower should do it.

Below is the old version Nordic tube/barrel info.

[TABLE=class: main]

[TR]

[TD]# of

Extra Shells [/TD]

[TD]Tube Length[/TD]

[TD]Overall Length

Installed [/TD]

[TD]Recommended

Barrel Length[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] +2[/TD]

[TD] 6.250[/TD]

[TD] 15.375[/TD]

[TD] 18.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] +3[/TD]

[TD] 8.622[/TD]

[TD] 17.747[/TD]

[TD] 18.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+4[/TD]

[TD]10.393[/TD]

[TD] 19.518[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 21[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+5[/TD]

[TD]11.929[/TD]

[TD] 21.054[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 21[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+6[/TD]

[TD]14.370[/TD]

[TD] 23.495[/TD]

[TD]21 / 24[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+7[/TD]

[TD]17.598[/TD]

[TD] 26.723[/TD]

[TD]24 / 28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+8[/TD]

[TD]20.196[/TD]

[TD] 29.321[/TD]

[TD]28[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

measurement.jpg

Cheers,

C

Here ya' go... 922r compliance. Your gun probably scores a 12... just so ya' know, so a tube and a follower should do it.

Cheers,

C

I also assumed it scored a 12, although I initially was curious since that link specifically states stock with pistol grip (which mine isn't; does it matter?)...the follower would knock me down to 11, but from my understanding since the Nordic is just an extension and not a full length tube it does not count. So I assume I would still have to replace another item from the list. What do most other people replace? Why do I feel I never see this many people talking about having to replace all these other items when buying extensions?

Why do I feel I never see this many people talking about having to replace all these other items when buying extensions?

Honestly? Because no one gets too concerned about it. To my knowledge, no one has ever purposely, with criminal intent, attempted to skirt the law, nor has anyone has ever been arrested or prosecuted for doing so.

C

So now I'm seeing this...I found another thread where a few people are saying the guns are only allowed one "evil feature." So that would mean collapsible stock, mag extension, pistol grip. Seeing as my gun has no pistol grip and just a standard stock it would lead me to believe it was ok to put the extension on. Thread in question:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-456707.html

Also, does anyone know if the M2 and SBEII uses the same disconnector? I found a 922r US made disconnector listed for the M2 and it looks almost identical to the SBEII disconnector listed on MidwayUSA

http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts-m2/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-disconnector-for-benelli-m2/

If they ever decide to go after anyone... first, that'd be a whole lot of people. The cost to arrest and prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens would be astronomical. Second... with an otherwise stock SBE II, you will be the last guy they look at.

If they come for me, when they ask about you, I'll say - "btmar?... WTF is btmar?"

Cheers,

C

So now I'm seeing this...I found another thread where a few people are saying the guns are only allowed one "evil feature." So that would mean collapsible stock, mag extension, pistol grip. Seeing as my gun has no pistol grip and just a standard stock it would lead me to believe it was ok to put the extension on. Thread in question:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-456707.html

The "one evil feature" has nothing to do with 922r or any other existing law or regulation. That is part of Feinstein's introduced "assault weapons" ban which may or may not go anywhere. It's not something I'd presently base any of my purchasing decisions on.

I know you meant Federal law but some states do have bans.

Where I live the state law is:

CT Assault Weapons Definitions regarding Shotguns (Date : 3/20/2011)

A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine

I think NY state is even worse but I dont know the wording for their current AWB.

Yeah, that sucks and dramatically demonstrates the futility of trying to control violence by banning or restricting inanimate objects.

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

I think NY state is even worse but I dont know the wording for their current AWB.

Honestly? Because no one gets too concerned about it. To my knowledge, no one has ever purposely, with criminal intent, attempted to skirt the law, nor has anyone has ever been arrested or prosecuted for doing so.

C

Yes, I've never heard of this either. But what if I add a collapsible/folding stock to a registered NFA shotgun? Does 922r come into play? Normally I don't think 922 is a big deal but I want to be extra careful when dealing with Title III weapons.

A little confused here .... does a stock civilian M4 have:

No. I have seen some 12ga shotguns that look like AR-15's for sale that do have them. Made in Turkey and Russia.

Google MKA 1919 if you want to check one out.

Yes, I've never heard of this either. But what if I add a collapsible/folding stock to a registered NFA shotgun? Does 922r come into play? Normally I don't think 922 is a big deal but I want to be extra careful when dealing with Title III weapons.

922r doesn't apply to NFA weapons.

USC_SBR1.jpg

USC_SBR2.jpg

Edited by XTrooper

Learned something new today. Thanks for that.

Fortunately, all my changes have been made with US-made parts so I'm good though I had zero concern about it at the time of manufacture. BTW, the ATF made NO mention of 922r to me when they were providing me with their "guidance." :rolleyes:

It makes me wonder if one hand of that outfit knows what the other is doing (or cares).

Ok. I got the answer on this. Apparently, there is an exception for short-barreled rifles. See below.

Does 922r apply to NFA items?

It absolutely does, unless the only thing you are doing is shortening the barrel. The common misconception is, for example, you can make up your own SBR via Form 1 and use all imported parts. This is not true. You still have the burden, as the manufacturer/assembler, of complying with 922®, even for an NFA item. The so-called "NFA exception" addresses the specific instance of shortening the barrel on a lawfully imported weapon. The weapon would not be importable as an SBR. And ATF would then be in the awkward position of giving "permission" via an approved Form 1, to create a violation. So you can do a barrel chop on your HK94 that was brought in before all this gibberish commenced and be good. But you cannot "roll your own" using more than 10 imported parts. Confusing, ridiculous, and I have absolutely no clue what public safety issue is being served by keeping it.

I can say that 922® does have *many* convictions... It just never has been the lead charge. And 922® is *only* a making offense, not a possession offense.

[TABLE=class: cms_table, width: 300, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]old_nfatcalogo.png[/TD]

[TD]

Jeff Folloder

NFATCA Executive Director

www.nfatca.org[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So considering the above, an M2 tactical with the comfortech stock and a +4 extension tube (7 total shells) should not be an issue...I've had more than one gun shop tell me otherwise. The fact that so many people are continuously misinformed should tell the government something about the lack of logic behind these laws.

• 3 weeks later...
If they ever decide to go after anyone... first, that'd be a whole lot of people. The cost to arrest and prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens would be astronomical. Second... with an otherwise stock SBE II, you will be the last guy they look at.

If they come for me, when they ask about you, I'll say - "btmar?... WTF is btmar?"

Cheers,

C

I don't think Big Brother would specifically go after people for not being 922r compliant. The issue is when Mr. Bad Guy decides to commit a home invasion/robbery of me and he is met with 9 blasts of 00 Buck from my M2. When the police seize my gun for their investigation and find that it is not 922r compliant, they will come back and bring **** upon me and my family. I want to make sure I am 100% compliant with the law no matter how stupid and silly the law is.

I have been reading forum threads and Google searches for 922r compliance for a 21" M2 Field. I added a Nordic Components 5 round extension tube and a NC follower for 3-Gun. Do I still need to add one more USA part? I like the comfort tech stock and do not want to replace it. I also like the forearm/fore end. What else can I easily swap out without loosing the great Benelli engineering? Do I need another USA part?