• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benelli Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M4-Desert Camo

Electronic Access Safes

All,

I'm trying to do research on a small safe for my M4 to be kept in my closet in our master bedroom. I don't need/want anything giant just enough to keep 1-2 long guns.

Since its strategic location is geared towards night time HD scenarios, I want quick access. Given that, I'm thinking biometric or electronic combination access. The biometric options are few so I'm leaning towards and electronic combination keypad type.

Now to my question, for anyone that has an electronic combination type safe, can you comment on any access issues, speed, etc?

Edited by M4-Desert Camo

Yep... if it's DC, the batteries can die... you don't always see the "low battery" light. If it's AC, you can lose power. Either way, no gun for you. Make sure you get something that has fast manual access if/when the current stops.

In the office I have a Paragon 7501 with a electronic (AA batteries) touch key pad that will accept anything from 3 to 8 numbers (speed ~ security... your call), and back-up cylinder key access. Not saying it's the best... just saying to look for that manual access feature. I got the Paragon for about $400.

C

Yes, I would not get something without a quick alternative access method. Looking at the DocuGem G815, among a few others. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look.

Take the gun out of the safe before you go to bed (or when you're nearby) and put it back up just before you leave. When you need a gun you need it NOW. In life or death situations fractions of a second mean the difference between surviving or not. A locked up gun is pretty worthless. jmo

And as was mentioned, power loss or even EMP = NO GUN FOR YOU.

Some people put a keyed deadbolt on a closet door instead of buying a gun safe. While not as good as a safe its enough to keep kids out.

Take the gun out of the safe before you go to bed (or when you're nearby) and put it back up just before you leave. When you need a gun you need it NOW. In life or death situations fractions of a second mean the difference between surviving or not. A locked up gun is pretty worthless. jmo

And as was mentioned, power loss or even EMP = NO GUN FOR YOU.

never thought of that what about a EMP. I watch that show preppers and if you are into that stuff you know you need a gun 99% guns along with 99% ammo is in safe,lol if a EMP hit I will have a wilson combat 1911 and 30 or so rounds everything else is in safe

whats the fix for that? I have electric key pad (battery)

M4 I also want a lil safe for my 1911 by my bed but as Sukhoi said I will open it at night and close in morning.(it is only to keep kids away) the one I am looking at is biometric with a back up key. they also make a nice long gun safe that works the same and fit in corner hold 2-3 long guns and 1 pistol. I will look for it and link you if I find it. It was pretty cool for what it was but personaly I would only trust it to keep kids out

everything else is in safe whats the fix for that?

According to a locksmith buddy who's on top of the EMP problem - change it out to analog. He advises all his customers who buy safes from him or who have safes to make the switch.

Barska makes a biometric long gun safe with a seperate battery pack backup and keys, it's small though. Not sure if a pistol grip with a EOTech will fit.

Looked at GunVault and they have a new biometric product coming out, not too impressed with it. I called them and there is no key back-up but they said there is a "procedure" tech support can walk you through. I said that's not much good in a pinch.

Those are the only two biometric "closet" sized long gun safes I have found so far.

According to a locksmith buddy who's on top of the EMP problem - change it out to analog. He advises all his customers who buy safes from him or who have safes to make the switch.

Sounds like capitalizing on fears .... I would think as long as the safe has a back up key access. We should all switch our cars, appliances, etc. to analog. If there is an EMP I think we have bigger issues than getting into our safes in 15 seconds vs, 45

Sounds like capitalizing on fears

Nope, not really - a very well respected and down to earth fellow, enough so that he was voted in as president of the state locksmith association. Not playing on fear, just taking all into account which is only reasonable.

Sounds like capitalizing on fears .... I would think as long as the safe has a back up key access. We should all switch our cars, appliances, etc. to analog. If there is an EMP I think we have bigger issues than getting into our safes in 15 seconds vs, 45

not really my real safe that has all my stuff in it has no back up key just digital lock. if there was a EMP that would be the first thing I wanted into. people are crazy and with no food or water I would do bad stuff myself.

I think if you belive in a EMP attack they this is a real concern. I am just not sure how much I belive in a EMP attack,lol

Maybe I worded it wrong .... I don't think a EMP event, man made or natural that was large enough to affect everyone is my first concern and if it did happen, we have bigger problems. Would I buy and electronic access safe that didn't have a back-up key access .... no.

I think the EMP argument is a good thing to bring up in new purchase discussions but to advise existing owners to go replace all their electronic safes, nah.

If we did have a EMP event, I would open my safe with the back-up key and have no need for it again as my M4 wouldn't leave my side :D

You might want to talk to them, they have no back-up key access and I think it's a new product not even out yet (the bio-metric version is new) ... look at the DocuGem G815 ... about the same size and price. Has a back-up key and is heavier. I also found some articles that the electronic GunVault's were easily opened by 3 year olds (google it). Lastly not sure I want something that has a big red "GunVault" on it ..... hey, the guns are in here.

Edited by M4-Desert Camo

You might want to talk to them, they have no back-up key access and I think it's a new product not even out yet (the bio-metric version is new) ... look at the DocuGem G815 ... about the same size and price. Has a back-up key and is heavier. I also found some articles that the electronic GunVault's were easily opened by 3 year olds (google it). Lastly not sure I want something that has a big red "GunVault" on it ..... hey, the guns are in here.

I am not getting that one I am getting the hand gun one. I seen it at my LGS it has a back up key. I was just posting that for ideas for you.

most big real safes are not gonna have back up key. only the lil ones like we are talking about

I am not getting that one I am getting the hand gun one. I seen it at my LGS it has a back up key. I was just posting that for ideas for you.

most big real safes are not gonna have back up key. only the lil ones like we are talking about

Thanks, I did look at that one .....on the short list but down a few notches.

FYI, the Barska brand biometric safes have keys to open them. There's no danger of you not being able to get your gun(s) out. I bought one for my daughter for her H&K P2000SK pistol (which I also bought her). When you have a daughter, it never ends! :D

I'd like to get the Barska one, just not sure it's big enough to fit the M4 (Pistol grip) with an EOTECH. The price is right, all the reviews I have read the reader works all the time. It's not a high security safe but for what I need, it fits the bill. Thanks all for chiming in.

Edited by M4-Desert Camo

I was considering this one before getting a slightly larger fireproof safe:

http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-home-defense-center.html

It gets good reviews and seems like a good design. The second video on the bottom shows how to get 2-3 guns in there:

You can find that same safe for much LE$$ at Walmart. I paid $299 out the door for mine (normal price was more but they wanted this one off of the floor). My review... Meh... not worth the $299.

I've had some less than stellar results with biometric safes. I can't always get it to read my finger and after 3 failed attempts (on the one I had)... lock out.

*the above sentry safe is not biometric

I have a simplex-based locking safe/container from a company that is no longer in business (R&D Enterprises). Ft. Knox now makes a similar product, though it's not made from the same thick steel as the old brand.

I think these types of locks are really the way to go. No electronic failures. You can set the combination any way you want--multiple buttons at the same time, thousands of combinations. It's super quick and ALWAYS works.

Ft. Knox makes a shotgun version:

shotgun_box-500x500.jpg