M2 20 ga feeding problems

Sawblade

So I got a new M2 20 gauge and shot it last week for the first time. Never had a FTE but had many instances where the shell failed to chamber. As the shell was entering the chamber, the leading edge of the shell rim is getting caught on the sharp edge of the chamber and actually bending the shell rim outward. Obviously, the shell won't complete the chambering process after that. There is also evidence that the shell hull is being gouged by the same sharp chamber edge. It seems as though something isn't lining up correctly and the shell isn't being forced straight into the chamber.

I own other Benelli's and realize that there is a break in period. However, this doesn't seem to me like something that will work itself out. Have any of you had this issue? If so, what was the cause and fix?

If it makes any difference, I was shooting Federal field loads and it happened at least 15 times in the first 3 boxes of shells.

Thanks for any input.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't see how cleaning could have anything to do with this particular problem, but yes, I did clean it.

Since the original post, the gun has been sent back to Benelli for repair and returned to me. The problem still exists, but it is MUCH better. In addition, I was having problems with shells getting hung on the magazine tube seat and not dropping down to the shell catch. I can see where they did some grinding in an attempt to smooth out the mag tube seat, but shells are still getting hung. Shipping the gun back today.....AGAIN!

I really like this gun, but this is ridiculous!

They will fix it, even if it takes 3 or 4 times. They stood behind a bad SBE barrel I had bought NIB for a turkey hunting barrel and with a IndianCreek tube it shot 8-12 inches high to the right. Threads in barrel were off. Every tube I tried it did the same thing. Cost so much, I didnt want to bend the barrel to shoot correctly. Benelli replaced it!

It appears as though the chambering problem has been resolved. Did a little shooting this past weekend and didn't have any issues.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the job they did on the magazine tube seat. They did a little more grinding and it is better, but I can still make a shell stick, and don't have to try very hard to do so. Hopefully it will get better with some more shooting.