GEISSELE trigger hammer VS stock trigger hammer

Reggie_375RGR

Is the Geissele hammer worth the money? For that matter are any modifications worth it? Im training to be a gunsmith and I'm new to the group and new to the Benelli M4. I just bought one. I am a military vet and I was an Airborne Ranger and we used the 12" remington 870 as a breecher to shoot door locks and other stuff but I've never had anything like this. I like to work on guns and make them my own but is this hammers worth it? Anybody who has one and has some input would be appreciated .

Thanks fellas

Welcome to the forum Reggie.

Most folks install the Geissele hammer for 922® compliance, not because it's a vast improvement over the OEM hammer.

Where are you able to find a Geissele hammer these days anyway? Geissele's webpage says out of stock.

ETA: I called Geissele and inquired as to when their Benelli M4 hammers will be available again and the fellow who answered the phone said, "...because of everything going on, late April."

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

There have been reports that the Geisselle hammer is a little tighter in tolerance than the factory or FFT versions. When I installed my two, I didn't bother measuring them but I did notice that the Geisselle hammer fit more snugly around the pin. There wasn't any hang up at all but there was less side/side play. I think it's a worthy upgrade even if 922 wasn't an issue.

005-2.jpg

As others have stated, it's mainly a 922® compliant part. However, I have found that the machining and material choice for the Geisselle unit to be superior to the OEM model. There is less wiggle present in the Geisselle hammer. This is comforting when you're aware of just how little holds the hammer in place. There is no trigger safety in the Benelli M4, so if the hammer fall for whatever reason, it will discharge.

010.jpg

Hammer and trigger engagement.

The FFT hammer is also well made. I prefer the Geisselle unit though.

The FFT hammer is also well made. I prefer the Geisselle unit though.

StrangerDanger, What grease are you using for the trigger/hammer?

Also, any particular reason you prefer the Geisselle unit over the FFT? You seemed to like the FFT on ar15.com.

P.S. I found your thread on ar15.com about the FFT assembly, Thank you greatly for that detailed review. I will be using it to assist in my install of the trigger/hammer.

Thank you.

I believe based on SD's previous posting that it is Brian Enos's Slide Glide, standard formula (Post #19 here http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/29526-Benelli-M4-Trigger-Disconnector-and-Hammer-Disassembly?p=168990#post168990)

Product page here: http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

Never used it but definitely looks interesting. I use a fairly popular grease on my components but curious if this stuff comes highly recommended.

Edited by jsn124
links added for clarification

Here is a link to the FFT components:

http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-trigger-package/

Yes, you can use any combination of the trigger components with each other. I personally use the Geisselle hammer and the FFT hammer and disconnector.

The FFT hammer is well made, however I did have a few minor concerns with it. After several hundred rounds, the face of the FFT hammer was starting to show some gouging. This was rather minor and didn't affect performance, but my concern was long term durability. The stock and Geisselle hammer had never shown this type of wear. It may simply be the softer NP3 finish on the FFT hammer that is wearing. I felt more comfortable leaving the Geisselle hammer in place.

Given how difficult it is to find a Geisselle hammer, I would have no problem with just installing the FFT unit. When it comes to the hammer, you're mainly after a 922® compliance part. Same goes for the disconnector. However, the FFT trigger is an upgrade over the OEM unit. Your trigger pull will be lighter and smoother.

The grease shown is Brian Enos' Slide Glide. One tube of it will probably last me four years. I like to use it on sears. It stays where I put it through several hundred rounds. Usually for sears, I use the standard viscosity type.

• 9 months later...