The care and feeding of the Benelli tactical semi-auto shotgun in the field

Sukhoi_fan

Good point. No, it's not always warm here, been below freezing for hours/days at a time recently. What sort of gloves do you use in cold weather? (I've been wanting some Oakley tactical gloves, just haven't sprung for 'em yet, lately been using some el cheapo polyurethane coated mechanic type gloves) Under such circumstances I would suggest adaptation, which can mean whatever you can come up with. Easy enough to make the distinction between slugs vs. shot loads however if you have a variety of shot loads then it would seem one would need to have some sort of aid to help make the distinction or else make it all one single type of buckshot along with the slugs. I'm thinking something inserted between the elastic and the shotshell, e.g. matchsticks, tabs of fabric (or whatever suits ya) could help one ID the rounds. Also the positioning on the bandoleer comes into play, possibly separating various shot rounds with slugs in between.

I actually HATE gloves and barely ever wear anything more than a set of fingerless "hand covers". In a long term situation though, I would recommend those mittens with the flip top so you can uncover your finger tips quickly. They make em now with velcro to hold the cover in place when over the fingers and then velcro em back when uncovered. I know a lot of guys have "these awesome gloves" but I've been through extreme cold weather training in two different countries and your fingers are gonna take a beating during long term exposure to cold no matter what you wear AND if you plan on being able to operate your weapons.

If it's long term, extreme cold you need to protect against, I would look into those neoprene types although your hands will sweat quite often so I prefer to line then with little white cloth gloves. Again, not conducive with a shooting situation. Short term, pretty much anything is going to hinder your ability to operate that covers your fingers so it would be a matter of preference and what you feel you need to operate.

I've been through ice and into freezing water doing ice rescues and training. Lived on a frozen lake for a couple of weeks in 30 below temps and cross country skiing and snow training in Minnesota and keeping your fingers warm AND effective will be a constant challenge no matter what so there really is no ONE solution.

I've never owned any but I kinda like those flip over mittens. They would probably be the most versatile and handy to use on a bad day...

I've got a couple of those AIM bandoleers. I'm not at all impressed with 'em. The Urban E.R.T. bandoleers are pricey but worth it imo. Always check the elastic and never a good idea to subject that elastic to excessive heat (like in a car in the summertime) - loaded or unloaded (the elastic that is). If you just have to expose the elastic to anything above room temperatures very much expect to replace any such bandoleer periodically as the elastic WILL become stretched out and not recover (from my own experience).

I only prefer them because bandoleers are a "short term" solution only to me. Long term would be your back pack or ruck or caches that you would set up in a survival situation in which case, you would hopefully not be under constant and heavy attack from the walking dead types...

Bandoleers to me are "grab and have" type things in a pinch and when you need to move fast but certainly nothing I'd wanna have to live with. Also, in a survival situation, living off of my shotgun full time is NOT within that plan. It's a short term, blast your way out or through weapon and not something in a good plan to live off of forever.

Shotguns outshine everything (civilian) when you are in tight situations but once things open up, it would fall back as a secondary and other things would then become primaries which means bandoleers would fall back into the stores as a perimeter defense or raiding weapon.

Shotguns are not long range weapons and if you plan on surviving during the Zombie Apocalypse, have a "once you've blasted your way out" plan with other weapons or somebody that DID make a better plan is gonna have a bead on you long before you even know they are there.... Theoretically, people are going to be scrounging and hoarding and I would not prefer to let everyone get close enough to use a shotgun before I either pick em off or have them in my scope and if I am out looking, it's far better to pick off undesirables from a hilltop or heavy cover than risking yourself with close range exposure all the time.

Just my thoughts SF. But I also enjoy a good case of jock itch now and again so take it for what it's worth...lol

Edited by Sharkey

I actually HATE gloves and barely ever wear anything more than a set of fingerless "hand covers". In a long term situation though, I would recommend those mittens with the flip top so you can uncover your finger tips quickly. They make em now with velcro to hold the cover in place when over the fingers and then velcro em back when uncovered. I know a lot of guys have "these awesome gloves" but I've been through extreme cold weather training in two different countries and your fingers are gonna take a beating during long term exposure to cold no matter what you wear AND if you plan on being able to operate your weapons.

If it's long term, extreme cold you need to protect against, I would look into those neoprene types although your hands will sweat quite often so I prefer to line then with little white cloth gloves. Again, not conducive with a shooting situation. Short term, pretty much anything is going to hinder your ability to operate that covers your fingers so it would be a matter of preference and what you feel you need to operate.

I've been through ice and into freezing water doing ice rescues and training. Lived on a frozen lake for a couple of weeks in 30 below temps and cross country skiing and snow training in Minnesota and keeping your fingers warm AND effective will be a constant challenge no matter what so there really is no ONE solution.

I've never owned any but I kinda like those flip over mittens. They would probably be the most versatile and handy to use on a bad day...

Yeah, if you're gonna be out in very cold temperatures for an extended period of time protecting your hands and keeping your fingers able to function becomes one of your highest priorities. Good point on the operational type mittens, I think I've seen those in the US Cavalry catalog, or somewhere like that.

These would probably be good to have for cold weather days. They are expensive. If you lost one, you would probably just curl up and wait for the zombies to get you. Looks like you could get by without the liner and just use your favorite tactical gloves. Seems they would be easy to just slide off too. Even has a removable and washable nose wipe pad. They are serious tools it appears.

http://www.checkpointcharliesurvivalsupply.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16291

Living in the deep south, we get 38 degrees with 80%+ humidity and unless wearing high tech hunting gear, you almost can't put enough clothes on to endure being out it in it for hours. I have never found a glove that was warm enough, no matter if they would fit through a trigger guard or not. I think these would be the best of most worlds for me. Warm mitts that will easily slide off when the need arises. I have a set of Cabela's extreme hunting coat and bibs and wear the E.C.W.C.S. Military Polartec® Power Dry Polar-Weight base layer. It's too much for much physical exertion in the lower 30 temps, but is great for cold rainy days of just sitting and moving only the eyes. I just need to get my feet and hands where I have my body now as far as warm gear is concerned. I think these mitts will fix my hands up.