FROG LUBE - IMPORTANT question about lubing pistons on Benelli M4

forzArmata

I know you aren't supposed to lube the pistons on the M4s pistons, and I never have. But...I fu*king hate scraping the carbon off of them after a big range session, and Frog Lube helps in this situation by preventing carbon from adhering to the metal.

So, although the manual says to not lube the pistons, what would be wrong with applying a bit of heat and a very light coating of Frog Lube, then wiping it off once soaked in?

*If you are unsure how Frog Lube works or you have never used it, please either use it or research it before commenting. It is not like a standard gun oil, which the manual says not to use.

The area of the pistons I'm referring to is circled:

BM4pistons_zpsac92cf14.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Edited by forzArmata

The reason lubing the pistons isn't recommended is because it causes a lot of smoke and the lubricant will be burned into carbon.

I guess it depends on the Frog Lube. It won't hurt to try to see if it is easier.

The only real solution around this is to coat the pistons in NP3 or NiB so you can just wipe the carbon build up off.

Good looking Sig.

I agree. NiB might actually be better since it's a harder finish than NP3. I'd love to get a spare set of pistons; but the price for them is insane.

Cleaning the pistons is overrated anyway. They're self cleaning. Excess carbon is scraped off and ends up on the inside of your handguards.

Looks like we have the same counter top.

Nickel Boron coating looks similar in color to NP3 or NP3+, it doesn't have the teflon additive in it though. It's a harder surface finish. It's really slick and easy to clean. It's the same as FailZero.

The high spots on the pistons are what actually make contact with the barrel assembly. The grooves and are there to trap the carbon. The angled cuts are like cutters that shave away anything that builds up inside the barrel assembly. All the lose carbon you find inside the handguards is carbon that has been scraped away during cycling.

• 2 months later...

SD -

Is that where you sent your stuff for burnt bronze? Do they do straight up anodizing?

Can you post their website or contact info or PM me? I have some raw aluminium small parts coming before long I will need to have coated. We'll have to chat about that soon, btw.

I don't believe WMD Guns does anodizing. It isn't listed in their shop services at least. WMD is doing part of my order in Burnt Bronze Cerakote.

Sounds like you've got a project going!

I've heard others have used US Anodizing with great results. You'll have to contact them to get a price for whatever you want to have done.

http://www.usanodizing.com/pricing.htm

As for the value of the coatings, it is mostly about easy clean up. Carbon simply wipes off of NP3 or Nickel Boron.

SD -

Is that where you sent your stuff for burnt bronze? Do they do straight up anodizing?

Can you post their website or contact info or PM me? I have some raw aluminium small parts coming before long I will need to have coated. We'll have to chat about that soon, btw.