M1 re-assembly - bolt not closing fully

mlind56

I disassembled my M1S90 for the first time for cleaning/inspection. After cleaning / lubrication I re-assembled the gun but found the bolt did not close fully.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2017[/ATTACH]

I read a (much) earlier post where the OP had the same question; however the attached photos were no longer available so I'm not sure if we really had the same issue or not.I did discover the Firing Pin Retention Pin O-Ring was damaged and re-assembled the gun without it.

So, is this normal? If not, would the o-ring not being installed cause this? It just does not look normal to me and I'm no gunsmith (not even close) but I really don't think the missing o-ring could cause this either.

The locking head DOES swivel and move down into it's slot, but it does not move down the slot all the way. If the inertia spring is supposed to be compressed at all at this point (closing the bolt) I don't think it is.

I appreciate any input on this ...

thanks

First question I always ask for this: Are you riding(easing) the bolt forward or are you letting it go under its own power. If you're riding it forward, stop doing that and just hit the release button and let'r rip. The locking head needs that forward inerta to help it rotate fully into locking position. (at this point, most folks say they're riding the bolt forward - they try the other way and voila, problem solved)

Missing O-ring should't have an effect on this, although you should go ahead and get a replacement.

Edited by truckcop

Nope, not easing the bolt forward. It is releasing from a locked position under its own power. And the o-ring is already on order; I wasn't planning on using it without the o-ring, just troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks for your input.

OK then. (I'm assuming from your initial description that you did not have this problem prior to disassembling the gun) My next thought would be to make sure the barrel was reattached to the receiver with the forend washers in place in the forend and behind the barrel ring and the barrel is fully seated with the magazine cap tight. Any misalignment between the locking head and the locking recess on the barrel extension could cause this problem.

Actually, looking more closely at your photograph, I don't see a problem. The locking head appears to have rotated properly into position based on the position of the extractor relative to the Benelli engraving on the bolt. If you're looking to see the bolt itself fully forward in the ejection port and not being able to see the locking head, you won't get that. Your pic is inconclusive but if yours looks like this then you have no problem. The bolt is fully forward and the locking head has rotated into proper position. The only way you'll get it farther forward is to take the barrel off. But that makes shooting more difficult.

BenelliBolt_zpsc3c5e2e3.jpg

Alright. Who said "CLEAN YOUR GUN"? I heard that. MYOB:rolleyes:

Edited by truckcop

Actually, looking more closely at your photograph, I don't see a problem. The locking head appears to have rotated properly into position based on the position of the extractor relative to the Benelli engraving on the bolt. If you're looking to see the bolt itself fully forward in the ejection port and not being able to see the locking head, you won't get that. Your pic is inconclusive but if yours looks like this then you have no problem. The bolt is fully forward and the locking head has rotated into proper position. The only way you'll get it farther forward is to take the barrel off. But that makes shooting more difficult.

Alright. Who said "CLEAN YOUR GUN"? I heard that. MYOB:rolleyes:

Thank you for the definitive picture! This is exactly what my gun's ejection port looks like. I got this shotgun in my Dad's will, shot it twice, and after taking it apart to clean/inspect it just couldn't remember what was "normal". It just didn't look "right" to me :)

I DID notice that without the barrel the ejection port slid closed "correctly" ... lol. Thanks again truckcop!