Hey guys I was out recently hunting when my Super Black Eagle malfunctioned on me. I was shooting Fiocchi (high brass) #4's and my gun failed to ejected the round, which I found very odd because it always ejects high brass reliably. I manually ejected the shell and reloaded the next on into the chamber. When the opportunity arose to fire the weapon again, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The trigger would not depress all the way to the firing position, and the hammer would not release. I then took the gun home, disassembled it then cleaned it. After I put it back together, I tried to fire the weapon again, with the same result. So i disassembled the weapon again, and compared the firing mechanism to my cousins Super Black Eagle. I found something very strange, the hammer on my shotgun was getting held in a locked position all the way back. It appeared SBE's have two safeties, but I am not sure, because I am not a GUNsmith. However upon comparing them I realized that the hammer was being held in different positions on my shotgun than on my cousins shotgun. I was wondering what causes this to happen, and what I need to do to try to fix it. I have taken the gun completely apart and cleaned it, but the problem is still there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Edited by HunterH2007

Sounds like the hammer is hung up on the disconnector. If you could take pictures of the trigger group, it would help a lot.

A shot like this:

010.jpg

Note in this picture, the hammer is being held by the trigger sear engagement on the right. If you look to the left, you will see the disconnector's sear engagement. With the trigger group removed from the Benelli, cock the hammer and determine which sear the hammer is engaged upon.

For reference:

Disconnector: Black

Trigger: Silver (NP3)

Hammer: Silver with Horizontal lines

You should also function test your trigger group in and out of the Benelli.

Clear the weapon of ammunition.

Put the Benelli on safe, rack the bolt and allow it to return to battery. Press the trigger. The hammer should not fall. Attempt this several times.

Now, take the Benelli off of safe. Press the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Now, with the trigger still pressed to the rear, rack the bolt to the rear and allow it to return to battery. You should still be holding the trigger to the rear at this point. The disconnector should be engaged. As you slowly release the trigger, listen for the hammer to make a clicking noise. This click occurs when the hammer slips out of the disconnector and is retained by the trigger's sear. At this point, pull the trigger again and make sure that the hammer falls.

Attempt this test several times.

You can also do this test with the trigger group removed. You should not allow the hammer to fall and slam against your trigger group though. Control its fall with your thumb. Note how when you press the hammer back to cock it, the disconnector is engaged when you hold the trigger to the rear.

The purpose of your disconnector is to prevent the hammer from falling while the bolt is still cycling. This would leave you in a situation where the hammer will ride the bolt back into battery and fail to fire.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Thanks Terry, I'll do that!

Please think twice before doing anything you might regret.

Sounds like the hammer is hung up on the disconnector. If you could take pictures of the trigger group, it would help a lot.

A shot like this:

010.jpg

Note in this picture, the hammer is being held by the trigger sear engagement on the right. If you look to the left, you will see the disconnector's sear engagement. With the trigger group removed from the Benelli, cock the hammer and determine which sear the hammer is engaged upon.

For reference:

Disconnector: Black

Trigger: Silver (NP3)

Hammer: Silver with Horizontal lines

You should also function test your trigger group in and out of the Benelli.

Clear the weapon of ammunition.

Put the Benelli on safe, rack the bolt and allow it to return to battery. Press the trigger. The hammer should not fall. Attempt this several times.

Now, take the Benelli off of safe. Press the trigger. The hammer should fall.

Now, with the trigger still pressed to the rear, rack the bolt to the rear and allow it to return to battery. You should still be holding the trigger to the rear at this point. The disconnector should be engaged. As you slowly release the trigger, listen for the hammer to make a clicking noise. This click occurs when the hammer slips out of the disconnector and is retained by the trigger's sear. At this point, pull the trigger again and make sure that the hammer falls.

Attempt this test several times.

You can also do this test with the trigger group removed. You should not allow the hammer to fall and slam against your trigger group though. Control its fall with your thumb. Note how when you press the hammer back to cock it, the disconnector is engaged when you hold the trigger to the rear.

The purpose of your disconnector is to prevent the hammer from falling while the bolt is still cycling. This would leave you in a situation where the hammer will ride the bolt back into battery and fail to fire.

What you explained is exactly what happened to me. The hammer is getting stuck on the disconnector. I just do not know how to resolve this issue! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! Here is a picture of my trigger group.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2037[/ATTACH]

Great picture.

To troubleshoot, can you push the disconnector back towards the rear of the trigger group at all? There is a very limited amount of movement, maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

Also, can you push your trigger forward?

My guess is that there is either something wrong with the trigger spring. I would pull the trigger out of the trigger group. I wrote this up for the M4, but much of it should translate to the SBE for disassembly.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/29526-Benelli-M4-Trigger-Disconnector-and-Hammer-Disassembly

If you find that the spring is broken or missing, Brownells sells a replacement. You could probably also call Benelli USA and they might send you one for free. However, it might be a part that they want to do the install on.

Part number #84

ben-superblackeagle.gif

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Benelli-U-S-A-/Super-Black-Eagle-sid570.aspx#s15299sid570

Replacing the spring is a pretty easy job assuming you have some basic tools. You'll need a set of punches, a light hammer and a dental hook.

Hey, wait. I think your trigger pack is missing some parts. Part 17 and 18 are missing. The carrier spring plunger and spring.

With the proper tools, you can do repair.

If you're not comfortable doing the repair, I'd be willing to do it for free. Just cover the shipping and parts. I would recommend doing it yourself to learn how though.

I would recommend doing a rebuild on the trigger group. Replace most of the springs in the trigger pack. Hammer Spring, Trigger Spring, Disconnector Spring and Shell release lever spring.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Great picture.

To troubleshoot, can you push the disconnector back towards the rear of the trigger group at all? There is a very limited amount of movement, maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

Also, can you push your trigger forward?

My guess is that there is either something wrong with the trigger spring. I would pull the trigger out of the trigger group. I wrote this up for the M4, but much of it should translate to the SBE for disassembly.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/29526-Benelli-M4-Trigger-Disconnector-and-Hammer-Disassembly

I was able to move the disconnector back. I took it completely apart and inspected the spring. The spring seemed to be ok, but I ordered a new spring regardless. Hopefully that will fix the problem! Thanks for all the information.

Hey, wait. I think your trigger pack is missing some parts. Part 17 and 18 are missing. The carrier spring plunger and spring.

With the proper tools, you can do repair.

If you're not comfortable doing the repair, I'd be willing to do it for free. Just cover the shipping and parts. I would recommend doing it yourself to learn how though.

I actually have those parts on now. I had those parts removed during the picture because I was disassembling to try to clean everything.