Increasing Mag.-Capacity M4: 10 Rounds?

SolidShooting

Hi,

i get 9 67,6 / 70 mm Shotshells into the extended tube, so with Ghostloading and one in the Chamber i get 11.

With 63,5 mm Shotshells (S&B Whiteline Slugs) i get 10+1+1 = 12 Rounds.

I will try to install a modified Tacstar +6 Mag.-Extension (for Remington 870)...

Oliver

perhapse he has a M4 with the long tube (M1014?) then he would have a capacity for 7 plus extension (+2) = 9? I do not know how it would work (or look). But if it could be done, a german could do it. I would like to see a photo.

Originally posted by deasmuth:

perhapse he has a M4 with the long tube (M1014?) then he would have a capacity for 7 plus extension (+2) = 9? I do not know how it would work (or look). But if it could be done, a german could do it. I would like to see a photo.

Yes, correct, i have the M4 with the long tube. Its the only Version available here in Germany. Didn´t realise that you have a Version with shortened Magcap. Mag Extension is from the Benelli Nova, will try a +4 Mag.-Ext. next.

The key is the threaded collar from the Nova extension kit, #80201P. Unlike the M1 collars, the Nova collar has a smaller inside thread that attaches to the mag tube coming from the receiver. This thread size happens to match the thread on the end of the M4 tube, whether it's from the EU full military type, or the US 81043P extension.

The outer thread of the Nova collar is the larger thread size that fits the Nova or M1 type extensions. The Nova collar also has the serrated teeth like the original M4 nut so it can lock against the ball detent in the barrel ring.

CAPS.jpg

DETAIL.jpg

The net effect is that the Nova collar will lock the M4 barrel in place but leave the end open to accept any older Benelli extension. Here's a pic with the Nova extension in place. A more sensible approach may be to use the shorter stub extension from the newer M1s or you could go completly mad and add the extension from a M1 Practical (if you aren't afraid of shooting it off).

Full.jpg

Extension.jpg

That is totaly freeking far out!!! I can't believe it. I just ordered a Nova 2 shot extension just for fun. LOL. Thanks STA and by the way, what made you try it?

Maybe we should all get 6 shot extensions for when Benelli finaly comes out with a longer barrel for the M4. Then we will all have M4 Pracitals

I Love it.

[ 05-15-2006, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: jmikesteen ]

Originally posted by jmikesteen:

Maybe we should all get 6 shot extensions for when Benelli finaly comes out with a longer barrel for the M4. Then we will all have M4 Practicals

How about a single 6-foot long magazine tube for the M4? That ought to be good for about 24 rounds + 1 floating + 1 in the chamber. :D

Originally posted by BradC:

Got one for sale for $400

Oh yea? Well I have one for sale for $700.

It's TOTALLY worth the price. You have any idea how expensive aluminum is these days? And the amount of time it takes to lathe a 6 inch tube with shallow threading?

You're paying strictly for the cost of materials and labor time. It has NOTHING at all to do with markup or hawking. I swear!

[ 05-20-2006, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Duggan ]