carriercomp lead times on tubes, anyone get theirs?

Jdkarmy

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why didnt you guys buy a socomguy tube?...makes no sense and he has a few left...at most its 1 week to receive and at $145 you can save coin over the carrier comp tube...its steel...

don't forget the carriercomp includes the follower and spring. so the price difference isn't all that great. little weight savings never hurt. and the machining is pretty damn nice on the carriercomp, not that socomguys tube isn't already nice.

Carriercomp is, no doubt a high quality product, no bad mouthing here. I bit lighter, yes; I figure only about 3.6 oz. Thats based on my calculation of the weight of a TI tube vs my 4130 steel tube that weighs 8.5 oz. Anyone have a loose TI tube that give us an exact weight?

Just installed the ext. tube from socomguy 30mins ago. It is very nice! Took of all 15mins. But i also have an order out for the carriercomp for many months. Hope i get it soon. How difficult can it be just to slap out tubes if you already have the machines and files? I wish my business had this problem. I would be up all night with out sleeping, vacation and SEX just to fill these orders. BTW, the melting point of the OEM loctite is 253 deg.

Not sure what kind of equipment carriercomp is using. Ie; a manual lathe or more unlikely, a CNC lathe. On a manual lathe, someone has to sit there and babysit the operations. There is a lot of room for error too. Working with titanium isn't the easiest of materials to machine either. It's sticky and galls easily.

My guess is the tube itself starts out at a larger overall diameter and is longer than what we receive. It is longer so the lathe's jaws have something to grab onto. Knowing Kip, he's probably putting the tube in a 4 jaw chuck and using a steady rest. Setting up the 4 jaw is time consuming to get it perfect. My guess is the threaded ends are then done first. Anyone doing lathe operations knows this is a tedious process to get done perfectly.

You'd then have to sit there and do a bunch of auto feed passes over the entire length of the tube to profile it down to the proper overall diameter. You'd then have to apply the taper to the base of the tube where it steps up. My guess is he has a DRO (Digital Read Out) to assist with speeding up the operations.

The tube is probably then parted off. Then each end is faced and the sharp edges are knocked off.

My rough guess is that a skilled operator probably has at least two hours of work on one of these extensions when using a manual mill, even with an auto feed. I'd be interested to hear real numbers from carriercomp and SOCOM guy. I have a feeling that FFT's tubes are done on a CNC lathe, but that is just a guess on my part.

Having a little experience in this field (very little really) I can tell you that it would be mind numbingly boring to do this kind of work for eight hours a day. Once the boredom sets in, mistakes start occurring kind of like in reloading. You then end up with an expensive wind chime.

The tube then needs to be bead blasted. Then prepped to be Cerakoted.

Just to pass along some news regarding carriercomp wait times. According to their Facebook, they have stopped taking orders for magazine tubes and are trying to catch up with the back log. We're looking at an additional 3-4 months of wait time due to the massive demand.

So orders placed in February won't likely ship until July/August.

Hmm, I hope thats not the case, it seems like people who ordered a couple weeks before me are just recently receiving their orders, I e-mailed Kip and Marcy a couple weeks back and this is the reply I got,

"I'm afraid my initial estimate of 3 months may have been a bit premature. We have encountered an unforeseen problem, which is our suppliers not being able to keep up with all the raw materials needed to complete such a high volume of orders! It is difficult to say with any certainty at all, but I am going to have to extend the expected lead time to about 4 months from your order day, which would still be a couple of months from now. We are sorry to have to give you bad news, and can understand if you do not want to continue to wait. Please let us know. Thanks!"

I hope they mean 3-4 months from order date maybe more like 4 months and not an additional 3-4 months meaning 6-7 months total... Will keep my fingers crossed.

I couldnt find their facebook either, what is it listed under?

"I'm afraid my initial estimate of 3 months may have been a bit premature. We have encountered an unforeseen problem, which is our suppliers not being able to keep up with all the raw materials needed to complete such a high volume of orders! It is difficult to say with any certainty at all, but I am going to have to extend the expected lead time to about 4 months from your order day, which would still be a couple of months from now. We are sorry to have to give you bad news, and can understand if you do not want to continue to wait. Please let us know. Thanks!"

I emailed them on March 7th (I ordered mid-January) and I was told orders placed in December and January were going to be 3-4 months, I am still hopeful I will see my tube by mid-May. According to an eariler post:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/31954-carriercomp-lead-times-on-tubes-anyone-get-theirs?p=177561#post177561

Their December order came in at 3 1/2 months from their order date.