More info needed on Surefire M80

M4-Desert Camo

Guys,

I'm in the market for a Surefire M80 and have a chance to buy one that was never installed but older. I don't know how old it is yet (TBD) but in my searches I have discovered some fit issue complaints on the original M80's. Does anyone know when Surefire tweaked the M80 to correct these issues?

The story I got was that Benelli had two different barrels (perhaps M1014 verse 11707) and two different rails were made. But don't believe everything you hear.

Truthfully I don't think you'll have any problems. I had the same M80 on both my M4 and 1014. Fit was great on each one.

The story I got was that Benelli had two different barrels (perhaps M1014 verse 11707) and two different rails were made. But don't believe everything you hear.

Truthfully I don't think you'll have any problems. I had the same M80 on both my M4 and 1014. Fit was great on each one.

Ditto...I had the M80 on both M4 and M1014 also...no issues.

M4DC,

I personally had a fit issue on an M4 with an older SF M80. For some reason I couldn't get the barrel seated all the way into the receiver. I didn't want to do any fitting on the M80 (filing, etc.) so I returned it. Btw Hookster was GREAT about this and I believe it went to a good home as it was in perfect condition but for some reason didn't fit mine.

That said, I picked up a brand new one from Optics Planet about a month ago and it fit perfectly.

Have you contacted them or SF to see when new stock would be available?

But like BLACK and paladinjme said it should be fine. This seems to be the norm and hopefully mine was just an outlier. I'd say go for it as long as the vendor has a good return policy.

Well, the one I was thinking to buy is gone, so I placed an order directly with Surefire. Yes, I need to mount my LaserMax and it's tape switch and the tape switch for my Surefire X300-U. I have the Briley mount but that has no solid "return to zero" installation so I cant mount the laser to it but can the light. I have seen the mods people have done to their stock foregrips to mount lights, etc and I'm not a fan of that. I also want to mount a Magpul AFG2 grip as well.

Ah. I see. I have something similar. I use a lasermax green. I only want it for close range, so I just re-zero quickly each time I have to take it apart.

I theorized using the hanger to make a mount, I said the front hanger because I have a SBS and where I like the light. However, the rear hanger is probably more practical for most M4s.

I have a mount modeled up. Won't require removal to disassemble the M4, etc. Has a QD Cup, Rail and Flashlight Ring.

I had a LaserMax green on ordered, arrived yesterday only to not work. Sent it back to Optics Planet for a replacement. That Briley mount just spins and gets tightened down with the threaded part. There are no notches, etc to make sure you position it at the same spot. Perhaps I could make something to get it alligned each time I take things apart. I too only plan on the laser for close HD use, 10-30ft perhaps.

I just got my EOTech yesterday, those are sweet. Can't wait to get to the range on Sunday to sight it in.