Reducing Felt Recoil In My Benelli M1 Super90

scattergun

I have a right shoulder injury that may be permanent after being hit by a car. So, I would like to reduce the felt recoil in my Benelli M1 Super90 (HK, with pistol grip) when I shoot slugs and buckshot.

It looks to me like I have 2 options:

1) Replace the factory stock with Mesa Tactical Urbino Tactical Stock System with Limbsaver recoil pad. It is my understanding that that this is made for an M2 but will fit an M1, but not perfectly, leaving the lower edges of the receiver uncovered. I will need to do some filling with epoxy if I want the new stock to fit the receiver closely. Length of pull will be reduced by about 2 inches.

2) Replace the pad on the factory stock with a Limbsaver pad and Noveske "Benelli recoil pad adapter". It looks like I can use a Limbsaver #10111 for a close match or #10540, #10544, or #10541 Grind-to-fit if I want to do some sanding. Can I do the fitting with a handheld belt sander and Dremel tool or do I need a gunsmith for this?

Are there any better options?

Has anyone done either of these options? Can you offer any advice?

Thanks.

I was getting kicked pretty good (arthritis in my shoulder) with my M4, I bought a Limb-saver pad (slip on) and it made a good bit of difference. I first put it on my stock pistol grip M4 stock, I since have put on a CS stock and tried it first without the pad and I got pretty bruised. Put the limb-saver back on and it does indeed help. I bought a fairly thin one too.

Edited by M4-Desert Camo

Push forward with your left hand when firing. Let your left hand take the recoil, while relaxing your right. Steady pressure when firng. When I first bought my M4, I was pulling back with both hands when firing and it was like someone punching me hard in the shoulder. Since then I've even installed a Surefire forearm with a verticle grip, I use this grip to push forward and I actually lean forward as well. This technique has not only help with recoil but has alowd me to shoot faster ! TRY IT !

Reducing felt recoil can lead to cycling problems to the inertia system on a Benelli M1S90 action.

Not sure I understand this, you are not reducing any inertia within the cyclic action, you are just reducing the exterior felt results. I'm no physic's wiz but but not sure slipping a limb saver on will cause enough reduced inertia to cause issues. Has caused any issues with my M4.

I decided to try a Limbsaver 10403. This is apparently a new pad that is designed for "Benelli M1 Tactical and SBE". It is not shown on the Limbsaver website yet but a few online vendors have it in stock.

I know that if I add weight to my M1, recoil is reduced but the inertia operated system becomes less reliable. It seems to me that a softer butt pad will actually allow the gun to recoil slightly more, but the recoil will feel softer on my shoulder since it will be spread out slightly in time and in area. I will try it and see what happens.

In the past, I have never had any feeding issues even with cheap birdshot loads.

Not sure I understand this, you are not reducing any inertia within the cyclic action, you are just reducing the exterior felt results. I'm no physic's wiz but but not sure slipping a limb saver on will cause enough reduced inertia to cause issues. Has caused any issues with my M4.

You'll be okay for the most part, the issue is the same as limp wristing a pistol though.

Put enough jelly behind the shoulder stock and not enough actual shoulder, and you can start to effect the intending cycling design of a rifle or shotgun the same as you can a pistol.

If your M4 fires from the hip with the rounds you wish to use, you can likely use all the limbsavers you want.

Another, although a more expensive way to do this is to have someone like Ballistic Specialties or Magnaport lengthen the forcing cone and/or back bore the barrel. Even though this slightly decreases the weight, it allows the shot to be compressed over a longer distance into a larger bore size therefore reducing felt recoil. I speak from experience because I had it done to my SBE and I love it and it will still cycle a standard WinAA load with no problems. BE CAREFUL! Not many can do this as it takes a carbide reamer to do this process and if not done correctly can ruin a barrel and reamer to cut through the chrome lining. Rob Roberts did mine and a fine polish job to go with it. Helped the pattern also.