How many M4 Models are there - Variances in M4 Builds, etc

bm4sbs

I know there is the M1014 and the M11707. I had a American Flag build once as well.

At one point I believe Benelli added a ridge to the barrel assembly so one could easily ascertain if the barrel was fully seated or not, etc.

Any gurus have an idea of how many barrel assembly builds exist out there? I have a prototype I need to make sure it fits critical dimensions on the barrel assemblies of the various M4s that are out and about.

I now have a late model build M4 with the ridge on the assembly so I will obviously fit it to that first.

I'm no expert, but...

The 1014 lacked the barrel ring that seats against the receiver, also it was fixed choke and narrow barrel extension.

There is an obscure 4-port barrel out there, but I doubt the external dimensions are different.

If you were to fit your jig to a late model 11707 barrel I don't think you would ever have a problem.

My list is by no means definitive. Here is what I know.

11701 or M1014. This is the limited edition model with a flag on the receiver. If I recall, there are 2500 of these in circulation. They originally came with a collapsible stock, but the receiver extension was neutered so the stock will not function properly. The barrel on this model does not have the ring that seats against the receiver. The barrel does not have removable chokes. The barrel has 2 ports. The barrel extension that enters the receiver is slightly different from the more common 11707 and newer models. The flared end is smaller. The barrels are all interchangeable though. The ARGO plugs appear to have a phosphate coating rather than the newer chrome or nickel finish.

11703. This model was released after the success of the M1014. This model came with a fixed pistol grip stock. It also had the same neutered receiver extension as the M1014. The barrel was a controversial 4 port design that battered the **** out of bolt carrier if anything but low recoil rounds were used. Benelli replaced this barrel for users at their request. The barrel came with a removable choke. The same barrel ring profile at the receiver and the flare on the barrel extension inside the receiver as the M1014 was present. The same phosphate coated ARGO plugs as the M1014 were used.

11707. This is the new standard production M4. Benelli installed the proper 3 position receiver extension on this model. It ships with the fixed pistol grip stock. The barrel was changed to the 2 port design. The removable choke was kept. A barrel ring was added to allow the barrel to seat against the receiver. Changes were made to the barrel extension, the flare at the rear is larger. Changes to the anodizing process were made with this model. Most users indicate that the receiver has almost an OD green hue. The ARGO gas plugs now come in either a chrome or nickel finish.

11711. This is the rare H2O model of the M4. I'm told only 60 of these units made it into public circulation before the ATF cried. This model is the same as the 11707, except it comes with a factory full length steel magazine tube and a factory collapsible stock. All the components were coated by Robar in NP3.

11717. This model is the same as the 11707, but it comes in a desert tan finish.

11721. This model is reserved for law enforcement and suckers. This model is identical to the 11707, except it has the collapsible stock and a steel full length magazine tube installed. Often times you can see the 11707 stick beneath the 11721 sticker.

11724. This model is the factory SBS model that comes with the 14" barrel. This unit comes with the factory collapsible stock. The barrel does not have removable chokes. The barrel seat ring and flared barrel extension are present like on the 11707 model.

Nice. Awesome info SD.

I think at most, it sounds like, I have two barrel assembly generations I need to deal with (presuming the 4 porter is more or less the same on outside dimensions as one of the others). I bet even the ringed and non-ringed will be the same, more than likely I will simply need to account for variances in dimensions overall.

Anyone have a older non-ridged barrel?

To my knowledge, that is a very good overview of the different models. Being retired L.E.O.. I have the 11721 with the original box and paperwork. I do shoot it occassionally and enjoy it every time I do. As far as a civilian being a "sucker" for buying a 11721, I would have to disagree. I have heard of many civilains paying for a 11707 and then buying the 11721, or after market stock, at a greater expense, than they would have paid for a "factory" 11721. In my humble opinion, these people are the suckers because they have the same or greater money into a gun that does not have the factory box, paperwork and is not factory produced. After the enjoyment of collecting or shooting the gun, paperwork IS prominance. Just my 2cents.

On the 11721 model, I refer to the suckers as people buying that model for 2400+ back when the 11707 models typically sold for 1500 - 1600 dollars. People thought they were buying something exceptionally special like if it was made out of mithril.

800 - 900 dollar premiums over a base model isn't worth it for a weapon that isn't 922® compliant for civilian ownership. Essentially you're paying 800 - 900 for a collapsible stock and a steel magazine tube. Then, you'd be forced to hunt down additional aftermarket parts to make it compliant. Now, if you can pick one of these models up for like 2000 dollars, it might be worth considering.

Look at this photo. You can see the 11707 through the sticker.

M4LE117215.jpg

The only time 922® wouldn't apply is if you are using the weapon for law enforcement purposes. Possession of a weapon that isn't 922® isn't illegal, but the construction and transfer of the weapon is. The weapon would be seized however. Showing up with a 11721 to 3 gun games would probably not be allowed unless you swapped out enough US made parts.

The 11721's aren't meant to be in lowly civilians' hands. Certain dealers aren't abiding by the rules.

The only time 922® wouldn't apply is if you are using the weapon for law enforcement purposes. Possession of a weapon that isn't 922® isn't illegal, but the construction and transfer of the weapon is. The weapon would be seized however. Showing up with a 11721 to 3 gun games would probably not be allowed unless you swapped out enough US made parts.

The 11721's aren't meant to be in lowly civilians' hands. Certain dealers aren't abiding by the rules.

Intresting perspective. I assumed since it would have been imported legally, 992® wouldn't apply, but I am not imtimately familiar with the law itself.

SD's correct that 922 applies, but that the illegal act is the construction of - not the possession. I guess it could be seized as evidence of a crime, but I doubt there is a single example of that IRL and such an action could be challenged as it's not illegal to possess.

SD's correct that 922 applies, but that the illegal act is the construction of - not the possession. I guess it could be seized as evidence of a crime, but I doubt there is a single example of that IRL and such an action could be challenged as it's not illegal to possess.
So in my example, 922® may not apply (maybe) since the weapon was not constructed and was imported legally and perhaps sold "legally", but let's agree that it's a grey area at best. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=347328

I edited my post because I noticed that SD mentioned that it could not be transferred legally, which I am not familiar with.

Federal law 922® states in part, it shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or (2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

Edited by Sig Arms

Bottom line is, 922® compliance these days is easy and fairly inexpensive. I'm not aware of any prosecutions of 922® violations on the Benelli platform. When it comes to the ATF and compliance, I value my dog's life. If I had an H2O, I would put US made parts in it too since the ATF shut down the sales of that particular model as well.

Drop the following parts in a 11711 or 11721;

Magazine Follower

Hammer

Trigger

Disconnector

My box looks the same. You can clearly see the original Bennelli 11707 sticker behind the 11721 sticker. Even though the 11721 is legal for a civilian to own, I agree that it is smart to make it 922r compliant, just as a precaution. I am retired L.E.O. and I still made my 11721 922r compliant. Of course, I still have the original box and parts in case I ever decide to sell the gun.

I have a european market Benelli M4S90 military variant and posted some pics of it in a recent thread, but deleted them. Is there any particular picture or dimension you want me to post of it?

If you have a pair of callipers, would absolutely appreciate a few measurements.

If not I appreciate the offer, still.

At the rear hanger, the width/Outside Diameter of the rear hanger's main section. The Outside Diameter of the barrel at that same location. The total height from the bottom of the hanger to the top of the barrel.

If you have calipers, advise and I will post a picture with arrows pointing to the precise locations to which I refer.

Edited by bm4sbs

I'd recommend posting some pictures of exactly what you want measured. It'll reduce the errors on the returned data. There may be some size variance even on same model specs. Take a look at this R&D thread from carriercomp from a few years back.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/23704-M4-Research-for-R-amp-D

I'll mic mine out whenever it comes back.

Thanks SD.

HP5rhg6.png

Hanger OD, Barrel OD, Total Height from bottom to top. All dimensions taken from inside the red box.

There are some variances even inside the red box depending on where they are taken, that's okay. I have to account for all and give it one single accommodating dimension. If you're up to it, do one set as far back as you can and as far forward as you can on the hanger within the space between.

I have a proto that will be here tomorrow to fit it to my single M4 sample. If I have it right, hopefully that extends to accommodate all M4s.