Finished building my M4

Atlpresa

I finally finished my M4 build and have a question. First, the final configuration consists of:

1) GG&G oversized bolt release and charging handle

2) Carrier Comp 7+ magazine

3) Sidearmor extended short rail with 6 round holder

4) Surefire M80 foreend and rubber rail covers

5) Magpul angled foregrip

6) Aimpoint Pro optic

7) Collapsible stock

8) Biles Sling

9) Streamlight Protac Flashlight

When I went to the range to sight in everything worked fine for the first 20 shots or so then it failed to extract the cartridges. I took it home and oiled it up, went back and it shot well again until I hit 20 or so shots then the same thing happened. I was using 2 3/4 winchester high brass ammo.

Has anyone else run across this problem and if so what was the solution? I lightly oiled the bolt so should I make it sloppy wet for break in?

Btw, I tried the Magpul XTM enhanced rail covers and they literally popped off as I started shooting. Went with the Surefire rubber and they were fine. Looking good and working good aren't always the same thing[ATTACH=CONFIG]2118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2119[/ATTACH]

Run it so wet that you have excess coming out of the TG retaining pin hole and wherever else. I mean wet. I really like the benelli lube but clp or anything like that will work. The put a couple hundred rounds through it wet like that and you should be good to go.

IMHO the cycling issue may be associated with how the Sidearmor top rail mounting bolts are torqued. I would recommend loosening them all and re-torquing them to see if the method by which they were torqued is slightly tweaking the receiver causing intermittent cycling isssues.

Sidearmor is a good thing to check. There was another user on here that did not put the stock washers from under their stock rail under their sidearmor and the screws were then protruding into the receiver and jamming up the bolt...

Remove your bolt and see if there are and scratches on the top of it for one... feel in the receiver were the screw holes are and make sure there is nothing protruding even a little.

If it was the SideArmor rail, the screws would contact the barrel hanger and prevent installation or disassembly.

Try putting the stock bolt handle in. Some people have had issues with the weight of the GG&G bolt handle. Run the weapon wet, and feed it a few hundred rounds of cheap birdshot.

Usually the heavy charging handle only effects the Democrat loads. High brass should be sufficient to cycle the weapon effectively.

Make sure the trigger group is lubed up well. The hammer should cock easily. I recently worked on a new m4, and the hammer's movement was not smooth at all. Working the moving parts and adding lubricant eventually broke it in.

Makes sure there is lubricant in the receiver extension as well.

Ok, lubed up the bolt and guts and ran the bolt a few times and already it feels a little smoother. I'll do that once again and then again when I hit the range I'll keep it wet. Hopefully that will do it.

Any good universal cleaning kits for an AR 15, M4 and the Springfield Armory xdm 45?

Haha, that was me. Did you put in the stock washers OP?

Sidearmor is a good thing to check. There was another user on here that did not put the stock washers from under their stock rail under their sidearmor and the screws were then protruding into the receiver and jamming up the bolt...

Remove your bolt and see if there are and scratches on the top of it for one... feel in the receiver were the screw holes are and make sure there is nothing protruding even a little.

It was definitely the ammo. Confession: I bought some cheap stuff to run through for sighting and that was causing the problem. I literally had to eject each casing individually. I kept reading you could run anything through these things. Ran the high brass through and she shot like a charm. Still going to keep her oiled up for the break in. I need to hit the range about three more times to get more familiar with this one. I will say she's sweet and not brutal on the shoulder like a lot of shot guns.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I was at Adventure Outdoors today and the M4 started jamming again. Their gunsmith came out and one cartridge ejected right and the next one didn't. I then had them send it back in to Benelli. I'm still looking forward to getting it back and shooting right. I hope it doesn't take to long.

• 4 weeks later...

Last update: I received the M4 from Benelli. They looked it over, did functions test and fired it and said all is well. They did send a note saying that the aftermarket parts may be causing the problem and also the low recoil stuff. I bought some high brass 00 and it shot fine. Low recoil caused the same problem. From now on high brass only.

I hope this helps some new M4 owner that has the same problem.

In days of old, HIGH brass meant HIGH power. Not so much today. Regardless of whether you shoot HIGH or LOW brass, what you should be looking at is the Velocity aka FPS.

Fiocchi makes an inexpensive HIGH brass 00 Buck with a velocity of only 1150FPS which turns my M4 into a single shot.

Any LOW/HIGH brass shell with a velocity of 1220FPS or higher should make your SG 100% functional.

At least this has been my experience with mine.