M2 Barrel for an M1 Receiver

MtGoat

First, are the newer M2 barrels better than the older M1 barrels? I was watching a show and they said the barrels with the choke tube thread further down the bore are suppose to be cryo treated and shoot a much better pattern than the older M1 barrels with the threading at the muzzle.

I am set on M1 barrels for my needs but should I consider looking for an M2 barrel with the choke tube threads further down the barrel rather than at the end like all of mine?

What else would I have to change to use a new M2 barrel on an older M1 receiver?

Thanks

Pat

I've got M1's with M1 barrel, M1 with M2 barrel, and M2 with M2 barrel. I shoot a ton of skeet and sporting clays and I haven't found any one of those combinations to be real-world better than the others for breaking clays. I've also used each configuration for pheasants in SD with no discernible difference in knocking them down. You might find a slight difference if you actually pattern them. But then again, you'll find differences in two versions of the same manufacturers barrel/choke combination. Personally, unless I was looking to change barrel length or just had a pocket full of cash that doesn't have anything else to do, there's not really a good reason to get another (expensive) barrel just so I could use the cryo chokes. Just pattern your M1's with different chokes and work with what you've got. To put a M2 barrel on a M1 receiver you only need a M2 forearm or you'd have to modify the M1 forearm.

Edited by truckcop

Thanks, I think I will stay put with the M1 barrels I have as I have about one of every M1 barrel and it would take both pockets full of cash to replace with M2 barrels. The film clip was done by one of the Benelli sponsored trick shooters Tom Knapp (shoot 10 clays in under 2 seconds or something like that) so I was wondering if it was to sell M2's or if it really made a difference. Sounds like it was just a sales pitch.

Tom died recently at the age of 62.

Here was his record breaking shooting

I can't find the ad with Tom and another Benelli trick shooter that shot clays over his shoulder and behind his back.

I did find this ad which was cute...

Thanks

Pat

Edited by MtGoat