Benelli M4 -- Top Rails Compared

StrangerDanger

I recently received a top rail from Freedom Fighter Tactical to install on a friends M4. Since I had my carriercomp top rail removed for my coating process, I figured I'd take some decent pictures and compare the two side by side.

Generally, the carriercomp top rail has been the 'go to' rail for anyone serious about mounting an optic to their M4. I noticed that Freedom Fighter Tactical had released an offering that looked quite similar to the carriercomp rail. At various times, the carriercomp rail has been extremely difficult to get -- so an alternative is welcome.

While the Freedom Fighter Tactical rail costs a little more than the carriercomp rail, it also includes a set of washers and fasteners. The Freedom Fighter Tactical rail is also available for purchase at pretty much any given time with minimal wait periods.

The rails themselves are nearly identical. The only differences I noted was that the carriercomp had a more aggressive dehorning process performed. This means there are fewer sharp edges present. The carriercomp unit also has T markings present. The finish on the aluminum is different. On the carriercomp, the finish is shinier than the Freedom Fighter Tactical model. The Freedom Fighter Tactical model has more of a flat subdued finish.

Installation of these rails is pretty straight forward with the proper tools. Procuring a proper flat head screw driver for the fasteners is probably the biggest challenge. The bit you want is a Magnabit 240-6. They fit perfectly. You'll also want to use a torque wrench. Torque the fasteners in an alternate pattern like if you were torquing the lug nuts on a car. Eventually snug them all to 16 - 18 inch pounds.

Locktite is recommended for the fasteners. I would take an additional step and coat the fasteners and receiver threads with Locktite Primer. 243 Locktite is recommended for two dissimilar materials. You can make due with 241 blue locktite though. Allow the fasteners to dry for at least 24 hours before shooting the weapon.

Bottom line is, you can't go wrong purchasing either one.

002_zpsc9bf8246.jpg

001_zpsce800148.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can vouch for the FFT top rail, quality seemed excellent and lead time was great as well. I haven't seen a carriercomp in person, but FFT does seem to produce a quality product. I kind of like the subdued look and finish that it has. I didn't see any instructions with my top rail and really just tightened by hand without the use of a torque wrench however I was careful not to overtighten, but tight enough... :) I did use blue-loctite so I'm hoping this holds, seems rock solid to me.

Still waiting for my CC Ti Tube.... been forever, but should be any day or month now :)

Can someone remind me what is wrong with the factory top rail? I haven't found anything that doesn't fit on it yet and haven't had the urge to swap it out for something else.

I was just about to ask this.... Whats wrong with benellis rail?

The factory top rail isn't in spec. If you attempt to mount an optic to it with a LaRue mount, the mount will be destroyed during recoil. The recoil lug on the bottom of the LaRue mount is just slightly larger than the sight channel that is cut in the OEM rail. During recoil, the mount shifts to the rear and chews up the mount.

2i92weh.jpg

Now, if you're using a mount that has a cross bolt design that is supported along the entire picatinny rail, the OEM rail will do okay. The lack of a cut down the center of the aftermarket rails doesn't interfere with the sight picture whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Will that larue 661 mount work well with the newer, mod 3, Sidearmor rail? That is what I ordered. Nothing fancy just the short or OEM length version. My goal: I want to mount the larue 661 mount and the t1, which is on order from larue, and didn't want to run into problems with the factory rail. I ordered the sidearmor rail on Amazon of all places and as an added bonus, I thought I may try the sidearmor 6 round quick detach carrier to go with it. I also liked the way the rail had the channel to use the fixed sights. Everything else I put on the gun has been FFT.

Edited by craigkim
more info

The factory top rail isn't in spec. If you attempt to mount an optic to it with a LaRue mount, the mount will be destroyed during recoil. The recoil lug on the bottom of the LaRue mount is just slightly larger than the sight channel that is cut in the OEM rail. During recoil, the mount shifts to the rear and chews up the mount.

2i92weh.jpg

Now, if you're using a mount that has a cross bolt design that is supported along the entire picatinny rail, the OEM rail will do okay. The lack of a cut down the center of the aftermarket rails doesn't interfere with the sight picture whatsoever.

And ^^ that is exactly why I replaced my LaRue mounts with AMD mounts. They have a much more positive grip on the rail, and can be easily swapped so the QD lever/arm closes on right or left side of receiver (with the arm facing back towards your face). Awesome.

And ^^ that is exactly why I replaced my LaRue mounts with AMD mounts. They have a much more positive grip on the rail, and can be easily swapped so the QD lever/arm closes on right or left side of receiver (with the arm facing back towards your face). Awesome.

I can't find it, is there a thread on here displaying the amd mount vs. the larue mount. If not,... why? Is one less rail sensitive than the other?

• 1 year later...
Can someone remind me what is wrong with the factory top rail? I haven't found anything that doesn't fit on it yet and haven't had the urge to swap it out for something else.

agree. my factory rail works fine. why pay to change it. also these other rails don't have the cut, so how is the view of the sights.