M1014 with +2 tube still hold only 6 ?

skydiverman

I'll start with this - I was never able to get 5 rounds in to the thing before it had the +2, so the plus 2 is plus 2, but it is SOOO tantalizingly close - if there is something I have setup wrong or can fix i'd be interested to hear about it.

I compared every kind of round I have and found the shortest - "military 00 buck" sold in carboard 5 round packs at big 5, headstamp reads "winchester 12 GA" side says "9 PEL 00 Buck" in black on the OD green hull. seem like it might be actual made to mil spec 00 buck, which if true would be the exact right ammo for the gun right? it is taper crimped and almost exactly 6 CM in height (aka 2.36") - makes sense since the mil is on the metric system.

6 go in fine, #7 is ALmost there and is about 3-5mm from going in when it stops hard. I actually pulled the cap off to see what was going on inside the tube when I fed it, and I watched the follower approach the spring retainer, and the spring basically coiled togehter until the coils had no space between then and it literally couldnt compress any further and so between the follower and the cap the sprint was fully compressed and it was about 3-5mm short.

Am I missing something or does benelli have some shorter ammo they are spec'ing the gun with?

Spring trimming should help. Also make sure your spring retainer is seated so that the magazine cap is touching it on the inside. My m4 never had a spring retainer when I got it. So I ran without one for five years. You could try to insert the rounds without the retainer and see if it gives you enough space.

Many shells aren't quite 2.75" long, some are a bit longer and you experience tollerance stacking that prevents the final round from seating.

Take off the spring retainer or push it out just a hair .

I took the spring retainet out completely and tried running it with the cap only but it continues to be short and in fact only saved me a milimter or so. The shortened spring looks like the only viable option.

Will try some federal premium 00 buck also as that was suggested.

Thanks

I think I found my answer : in the manual it is stated as 6 round capacity for both 3" and 2.75" shells (the manual provided with the m1014 refers to the mil/le version despite the obvious civ changes shipped, e.g. it refers to how to collapse the stock, and to the full length magazine) whereas the internet widely claims 7. Is there a difference between the 11701 and later versions in this regard?

I am not aware of any dimensional difference between the various builds/model #s of M4s that could possibly effect total round capacity outside of the obvious crimped extensions and SBS. If you are running a full length tube, you can fit 7 in there. Springs, Spring Retainer and actual shell length are your variables.

Plus, if you are not already aware, float a round (ghost load) on the feed ramps to gain 1.

I'd order up a carriercomp spring and follower if you already don't have a US made one. It's designed to be trimmed if needed. They're pretty cheap too.

Carriercomp spring arrived.. it still wont hold 7, last shell is maybe 5mm short of insertion. Is therefore should i cut 5mm compressed length of spring off right?

Just my two cents for anyone else that might have encountered this situation. I bought a CrapStar +2 extension and couldn't get 7 in so first thing I thought was, well must be the spring. Started hacking away. Still nothing. The lesson I learned is when you attach a +2 take the spring out and just leave the follower in and try to get your 7 shells in. When I did this it wasn't possible to get them all in. Some extensions have a tapered/stepped end that won't let the follower get the extra 1/4" (or less) needed to seat the 7th shell. So before you start hacking, start stacking and can confirm it works and if it doesn't you still have the opportunity to return the product w/ a full length spring : )

Just my two cents for anyone else that might have encountered this situation. I bought a CrapStar +2 extension and couldn't get 7 in so first thing I thought was, well must be the spring. Started hacking away. Still nothing. The lesson I learned is when you attach a +2 take the spring out and just leave the follower in and try to get your 7 shells in. When I did this it wasn't possible to get them all in. Some extensions have a tapered/stepped end that won't let the follower get the extra 1/4" (or less) needed to seat the 7th shell. So before you start hacking, start stacking and can confirm it works and if it doesn't you still have the opportunity to return the product w/ a full length spring : )

good info.. my +2 is a factory Benelli tube so I didnt even consider that as a possibility.

• 6 years later...

I recently got an m4/mag upgrade and dealt with the 6 rounds problem. I could only fit 7 with target loads, 6 with everything else. 

I'm spamming the top googled threads with this reply because got sick of being told it's about shell length and unfixable, or I have to cut my spring to fix it. I could never find a thread that just gave me a clear answer about an easy spring swap or anything else that worked. I'm blown away by how hard it was to find a clear answer on this simple topic.

The fix? I replaced the factory spring with a wolff m4 spring from freedom fighter tactical and it went from being a half inch away from holding 7, to holding 7 of anything 2 3/4" long. It's tight, but mine holds 7 of everything now. This isn't meant to be an ad for wolff, as there may be others out there that would fix the problem, but it worked for me and should for you.

Non-target-load 2 3/4in shells are longer and that's a fact, but assuming your m4 parts are the same dimensions as mine which they should be, your M4 WILL hold 7+2 if you get the spring replaced.

I hope I can bring a few people's blood pressure down if you are dealing with the same problem and as frustrated as me with the threads full of non answers out there.